Photo

The Autosport-Atlas Rant Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
271 replies to this topic

#1 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 20:56

Let's see if we can beat the emotions and animosity - not to mention thread length - of the infamous "Atlas F1 moved to subscription" thread :p

Not everything's ready, not all is looking or working fine. But that's it: we are now Autosport-Atlas :clap:

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:00

Originally posted by bira
But that's it: we are now Autosport-Atlas :clap:

So like Sauber-Petronas & Cooper-Climax, Atlas are the engine behind the Autosport machine? :p

EDIT: I think it looks superb. Split up into sections - no pop-ups :up:

Hmmm... need a rant... um.. there should be more orange on the page.  ;)

#3 michaelab

michaelab

• 666 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:02

Congrats bira on what must have been a nightmare merger and so far it looks to have been done very well :up:

Michael.

#4 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:03

Well the home page layout's a big improvement :up:

oops, you said rant - sorry :o

#5 StickShift

StickShift

• 5,386 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:03

Wow! It looks great! :clap: Congrats on making the transition!

#6 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:06

Could we have a DVD or a die-cast model with the subscription?!?!

:p

#7 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:07

it will take a bit of getting used to but it looks *too* influenced by autosport in the menu bar at the top

but well will get used to it

#8 MCH

MCH

• 351 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:09

I echo the comment above regarding the design of the new site. too much autosport. I'd much rather have the stylish, unique, classy and effective www.Atlasf1.com design please!! :(

For the rest, congrats all staff with the merger :)

#9 JR

JR

• 3,312 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:10

I can't log in... gives me an invalid password error.

THAT'S IT I'M CANCELLING MY SUBSCRIPTION

....no!! not really!

#10 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:12

Wow great looking site. I cant say I wont miss the older (less cluttered?) setup. BUt I guess this merger does offer more content and hence a more complex format. Congrats!

Now to familiarise myself with Myatlas ;)

#11 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:13

I can't login.

#12 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:14

I know it's being picky but I agree with the above. I much the preferred the very simple layout of AtlasF1 with a complete lack of clutter. It feels like there's too much stuff flashing off to the sides of this (which is very Autosport) and I liked the complete focus on F1 AtlasF1 obviously had. I kind of thought the F1 component would remain much more distinct from the rest.

These are minor concerns though and I would assume I'll get used to them in time. :)

edit: I just found the F1 homepage. Think I'll make that my first port of call then!

#13 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:15

neither can I. From what I can tell it wants my old Autosport reading login, not my atlas login.

#14 Dolk

Dolk

• 891 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:15

Sadly i have to chime in on the "i can't log in" spam. I enter the email adress ive subscribed to atlas with and my atlas pw, but i can't get in. Shame to since the site looks great in my humble opinion.

#15 Keelan

Keelan

• 686 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:17

I liked the old website better. Maybe I'd just gotten used to it.

Edit: I can't believe you guys have to cover Nascar now. How much does that suck?

#16 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:18

Well of course the layout is strange; too many pictures of correspondents; do we need these?

And the price is that we no longer have the latest postings on the fora; this I really miss.

PdeRL

#17 D82

D82

• 1,392 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:19

Atlas design was way better but this is cool anyway... Good to see all motorsport news + Atlas on one site. Good work! :up: :)

#18 riffola

riffola

• 940 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:21

The top menu doesn't work when I'm on the edit your profile page, once you are on shop.autosport-atlas.com, you don't hop back to the www. area when you click home or any of the links, thus the pictures are broken. Also I am not a big fan of how far down the latest news is placed. It's pretty though, I do like the over all style.

I wish the Autosport Atlas logo was a clickable link to the main page. It's such a big target, it's easier to click there and jump back to the main page.

#19 bluetentacle

bluetentacle

• 525 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:22

Can't log in. WTF? Are we supposed to re-subscribe? I don't want to end up with a double subscription. Bira, please clarify the situation for us.

Advertisement

#20 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:23

Start using My Atlas guys, will avoid many of these issues.

#21 Vunz

Vunz

• 2,201 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:24

Apart from the nonsense on Nascar and BTCC I must congratulate you all on the job done! :up:

#22 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

All those having login problems:

1) MAKE SURE YOUR BROWSER ACCEPTS COOKIES FROM AUTOSPORT-ATLAS.COM

2) If you have been registered or subscribed to Autosport.com - give it a few minutes. We are fixing this error right now.

#23 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

For all the people who can't log in, are you definitely using your email address rather than user name to log in?

#24 JPMCrew

JPMCrew

• 1,840 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:25

The front page is way too busy... I liked the AtlasF1 uncluttered layout much better. As it is right now, there are too many pictures, too many headlines, too many font sizes, too many sections. So much of it that it becomes a bit unpleasant I must say. Maybe we just need to get used to it :)

#25 bluetentacle

bluetentacle

• 525 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:26

For all the people who can't log in, are you definitely using your email address rather than user name to log in?

Yes. Can't log in using e-mail address. Also received nothing when querying for the password through e-mail.

#26 Ice T

Ice T

• 464 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:26

I like it! Will the bulletin board be getting a new look as well?

#27 riffola

riffola

• 940 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:28

Congratulations Bira et crew! Good luck with your new bouncy baby, teething problems and all. :up:

I am looking forward to enjoying the new site once it's gathered some momentum and all the bugs are worked out.

#28 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:28

I'll admit immediately that I haven't followed the news surrounding the transition, but.........

7 advertisement banners on the front page????

And we're back to scrolling I see. AtlasF1 was one of the first sites to utilize 1024x768, which was great. Now it isn't even 600 pixels wide and the extra space is taken by banners, the result is having to scroll down to read the news........

#29 Daff

Daff

• 32 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:29

Flashing ads are *extremly* annoying and just about the last I expect from you.
If my Atlas subscribtion was up for renewal now, I wouldn't renew it...I may get used to by January, but right now, it looks cheap & horrible...the attempt to more or less directly mix Autosport and Atlas' sites is pretty dire.

Jakob

#30 Ruckus

Ruckus

• 60 posts

I'm able to login just fine.

First impressions count when it comes to websites, and mine was 'I love it!'. Congrats Bira (and team). I look forward to poking around and watching it evolve.

:up:

#31 jaudrius

jaudrius

• 10 posts

Link for the GP weekend schedule in local time (clicking GMT+8) doesn't work anymore for me in Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1.

#32 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:30

Well of course the layout is strange; too many pictures of correspondents; do we need these?

And the price is that we no longer have the latest postings on the fora; this I really miss.

PdeRL

#33 Keelan

Keelan

• 686 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:31

Shouldn't there be a link to the Forix site also?

#34 Vunz

Vunz

• 2,201 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:33

Apart from the nonsense on Nascar and BTCC I must congratulate you all on the job done! :up:

#35 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

I'll admit immediately that I haven't followed the news surrounding the transition, but.........

7 advertisement banners on the front page????

And we're back to scrolling I see. AtlasF1 was one of the first sites to utilize 1024x768, which was great. Now it isn't even 600 pixels wide and the extra space is taken by banners, the result is having to scroll down to read the news........

#36 PeaQ

PeaQ

• 3,705 posts

Originally posted by A3

Yea, I agree, scrolling is really tough on ya. :p

#37 JR

JR

• 3,312 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:34

Works now. Bira's obviously eaten all the cookies. Greedy bira. :)

#38 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:34

I am not getting in as F1Johnny. I log in with my autosport free login and my atlas email does not work.

:mad: :mad:

#39 maxpapis

maxpapis

• 7,229 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:35

It's great!
Congrats to Bira and everyone involved :wave:

Advertisement

#40 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,779 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:35

Why the new window when I open forums . . .bollocks to that. :mad:

#41 Wolbo

Wolbo

• 12,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:37

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
Why the new window when I open forums . . .bollocks to that. :mad:

Very much ditto. Poor choice. :down:

#42 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:38

When I tried to login using the email address I registered for Atlas with, and my Atlas password, it didn't work.

So do I need to use my Autosport login? I don't remember that...does this make my Atlas login useless now?

#43 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:40

Originally posted by JForce
When I tried to login using the email address I registered for Atlas with, and my Atlas password, it didn't work.

So do I need to use my Autosport login? I don't remember that...does this make my Atlas login useless now?

That's what's happening to me. I figured there would be an Atlas login field for us die hards

#44 Ozz88

Ozz88

• 109 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:41

Is having pictures of half naked muscular men on the frontpage also part of the autosport merger?

Anyway, it looks good, the site that is.

#45 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,796 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:41

OK, let's not all panic. You all sound like me 3 years ago.

Now, I have a small issue. I have NFI what e-mail I first used to register at Atlas, I never use it as Atlas worked on the username theory, not the e-mail theory. As a result, i can't login.

So i checked the e-mail I have registered at Atlas through this BB and it does not work, it still says "Invalid E-mail". So where do I go from here??

'Fisti is a bit lost.

#46 jaudrius

jaudrius

• 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:42

Link for the GP weekend schedule in local time (clicking GMT+8) doesn't work anymore for me in Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1. I double checked - on IE it doesn't work also.

#47 Ruckus

Ruckus

• 60 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:43

Bira, how hard do you want us to go regarding nitpicking and the reporting of quirky findings? Do you have a list of known issues or works in progress, or do we just go hell-for-leather and tear it to shreds, detail by detail, from day one?

Not that I've found too much to frown about thus far, but I am a perfectionist (and by gosh I'm not the only one around here...).  ;)

#48 rhpearson

rhpearson

• 83 posts

It was great for AtlasF1 to survive with this business merger with Autosport, but I also would have expected something fresher looking in terms of the site layout. It isn't horrid or anything, but I do think it is lopsided in design: the navigation bar is fine, but the content area is well longer than the secondary navigation boxes (right), and the little ad pane on the far right really throws the balance of the site off.

Maybe it is an interim design?

I wish the site luck... I come and go from it... my subscription will lapse when it is due for now. I just don't feel its worth it any longer; my interest in motorsports ebbs and flows quite regularly and I just don't find myself reading the articles enough to stay on. That's no fault of anyone at Atlas, to be fair.

#49 bern@rd

bern@rd

• 604 posts

Is the page layout final, or can it still be changed? Because what makes the site crap and makes you want to change the site quick is the way that the actual content of the site is jammed into 50% of the page. 30% is taken up by the unnecessary margins on both sides of the page, and 20% by the login-bar on the right. It's just too cluttered. I hate it. Looks too much autosport. Looks like one of those godawful commercial filled sites that autosport was, where it doesn't feel lively and homelike, but a page you just visit once in a while to read one section of the page. Doesn't look like a page you are likely to set as your homepage, unlike my.atlasf1.com

I can only hope that the page design is done by the same person that did autosport, and you have the good sense to change it. Doesn't take much, just use the whole goddamn page to get rid of that cluttered mess. :mad: Is that too much to ask?
Please, get rid of the unnecessary margins and free the space for the site. And the front page is a mess, too.
Oh, and it looks like there it's not a "magazine" anymore, just a news page. That was the weakness of autosport against atlas. Apart from the horrible and cluttered layout.

But please, consider removing the margins from the sides of the page and the top and using the whole page, just like atlasf1. This was the reason behind autosports crap interface and you seem to have carried it over.

#50 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 21:46

Sorry my last message (and perhaps this one too :mad: ) appeared about four times; not my fault, not my fault, not my fault. I keep getting "Page cannot be found" and meanwhile it's posted the bloody thing.

And I too hate this business of new windows; God knows how many are no open on my computer.

PdeRL