Photo

This weeks issue

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:57

Am I correct in thinking that this week's issue only has three items?
DC Feature
Snakes and Ladders
Grapevine

I don't count the WRC/Champ stuff or ask Nigel as it's about 3 sentences long for each question.

Is this a one-off due to the break or can we expect each issue to only have a few items and more items related to other series?

Advertisement

#2 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:50

litle by litle it´s becoming autosport stuff. and could sell more.
reading the news i´m allways reading same sentences about 5 times a week.

#3 bnlflo

bnlflo

• 82 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:32

well, I'm a bit disappointed by this week's issue, too - due to the fact that there is not very much F1 content in it. I'm not interested in WRC at all, and Champcars is, well, alright, but not really my favourite racing league.

Does that mean that the journal will include items about other racing leagues each week from now on?
I don't mind that as long as it would be an additional feature, but it would be very frustrating (for me) if these non-F1 items were a replacement for the F1 stuff.

(having written this, I think we should also keep in mind that we are currently in a "three week gap" between two F1 Grand Prix', and this week is neither the week AFTER a race, nor a week BEFORE a race - so, Bira, if you read this: my posting was more a general question than a complaint - although I must admit that this week's issue isn't a great one, IMHO)

cheers
Florian

PS: what are the prospects for the "PDF / print versions"? I am really looking forward to the "print entire journal issues" feature, that's why I am asking for it in this thread. :)

#4 tonicco

tonicco

• 134 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:37

Firstly, I more than welcome the inclusion of feature articles about Champ Cars, WRC, IRL, Moto GP, etc... but, like Florian wrote, I pretty much want these articles as an addition to the regular content of the Journal (meaning F1...).

One other point is that I do look at both Mark Glendenning's interviews as light Q&A sessions. Not the sort of stuff that usually would be seen at the Journal...

#5 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:46

I also question the value of adding "Ask Nigel" as an entire journal feature when it's merely 3 questions.

#6 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:52

One point at a time, in no particular order:

1) Ask Nigel.

That is a regular, weekly column. The length of the text of the three answers combined - without the questions - is 1,500 words. That's longer than an average column by Karl Ludvigsen; it's longer than almost every 'Bookworm Critique'; it's as long as an average 'Weekly Grapevine'; etc. So the argument that it shouldn't be part of the weekly journal because it's too little is quite ridiculous. It fits every requirement of a regular column in the weekly issue.

2) Having non-F1 content in the Journal. Well first I'd ask, why not have content - when it's good, exclusive and done by a wonderful writer like Mark Glendenning - in the journal if it's not about F1? You never complained about "Elsewhere in Racing", or about "On The Road" - two weekly columns we ran for years that had nothing to do with F1. You never complained when we ran a feature about the demise of CART. Or about the next generation of drivers in the lower formulae; or the non-F1 history of racing; etc. In a week like this week, where F1 is almost on an off-season mode, while every other major racing series around is in full mode (last weekend there were about 5 major race events worldwide) - then why not offer interviews with drivers? You make it sound as though we did an interview with Tony Blair about the British elections.

3) The number of articles in the issue. Let's see: we had a total of six items in this issue. If we remove the GP-related features of a review issue (GP Review, Tech Review, Season Strokes, GP stats and charts, GP analysis by Richard Barnes) - then last week we had four items. The week before, if we remove the GP-related features of a preview issue (GP Preview, facts & Stats), then we had five items.

In other words, the only reason this seems thinner than usual is because there is no GP review or preview material, which is simply because, well there is no GP this weekend or last weekend.

I actually feel fine with this week's issue - because it consists of more exclusive interviews than we normally would have, including a great one on DC, and a very good analysis article by David Cameron.

In any event, with the European season about to begin and our primary features writers about to go to every GP, I would say the only way is up. But I recommend that you don't measure things purely in quantity - that has never been the Atlas Way :)

#7 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,363 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:57

Bira,

As much as I like Mark Glendinning's articles, they aren't exclusive, as readers of Australian Motorsport News see quite regularly.

Mark

Edit - I must say though that I am not complaining about this. I don't have a problem with them being included as long as there is other articles as well.

#8 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 16:10

Well Im not an Autosport reader so I'm not privy to the articles in the magazine so I welcome its inclusion. In fact I waiver perhaps 5-10 percent of the subscribers even read through Autosport so non-exclusive material certainly adds to the content. Sure, everyone would welcome more content and guess what? AA offered it in spades with non-f1 material. SOme of you guys - not directed only at you Mark, need to realise this isnt only Atlasf1 its Atlas AND Autosport. SO get used to the Non-f1 related material. I'd wager you guys should expect more in the future.

PS- does it seems like im the only AA defender around here or is it just me?

#9 QdfV

QdfV

• 3,381 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 19:02

Originally posted by Jodum5
PS- does it seems like im the only AA defender around here or is it just me?

No there are more but sometimes it doesn't come across very clearly ;)

#10 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,363 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 22:07

Jodum,

I'm not an Autosport reader either....please re-read my post....

I'm all for having non-F1 content in Atlas (A-A) and I am a huge supporter of A-A. IMHO, having non-F1 content will only get us more value for our dollar, and I do believe we get great value for our dollar when you compare what we get to the print media. My comment was only relating to the fact that Mark's articles are not exclusive to A-A (or Autosport mag, they are from Aust. Mostorsport News, a different mag in Aust). I would also be happy if there were a smattering of other non-exclusive articles from other countries added that I hadn't read before, just as long as it retains a reasonable amount of exclusivity, which it presently most definitely does.

Mark

#11 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 00:23

I think most of you are going about it wrong. Click on the F1 button and suddenly things look like the Atlas of old.

#12 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:04

I've never had a problem with articles on other series because they never run instead of other things and they never run together.

If you remove the non-F1 material you get 4 items
The week before, if you remove the non-F1 material you get 8 items

It just seems that an argument could be made that I susbscribe to receive a certain amount of F1 material each week....a fact that you regularly use when promoting Atlas. So it could be argued that instead of interviewing WRC people you should be interviewing F1 people.

But look, it's not a major, and I like the other content, but not at the expense of F1 stuff. I just wanted to be sure that in the future you wouldn't start including extra non-F1 stuff in the journal when you could be including more F1 stuff is all.

And as predicted by pretty much everyone when referring to everyone else, the new look has grown on me :wave:

But I can't wait for MyAtlas 2.0 :clap:

#13 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,179 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:47

Originally posted by JForce
If you remove the non-F1 material you get 4 items
The week before, if you remove the non-F1 material you get 8 items

Sure, but last week was the Bahrain review, which obviously generates a bunch of regular columns.

#14 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 15:40

Even on GP weeks though, there does seem to be something missing ... the analysis is not there ... I can't explain it ... we used to get a lot of analysis post GP and the comments/opinions appear to be missing to some degree.

#15 wawawa

wawawa

• 4,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 21:31

Originally posted by Alfisti
Even on GP weeks though, there does seem to be something missing ... the analysis is not there ... I can't explain it ... we used to get a lot of analysis post GP and the comments/opinions appear to be missing to some degree.

Can you be a little bit more specific? I haven't noticed any such lack in the GP-week issues.

#16 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 00:42

I've definetly noticed the Journal shrunk massively in the first autosport branded week and hasn't re-expanded.

#17 wawawa

wawawa

• 4,315 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 00:49

Waiting for this week's issue :) :yawn:

#18 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:58

Originally posted by wawawa
Can you be a little bit more specific? I haven't noticed any such lack in the GP-week issues.

The post race and pre race analysis is not as thorough as it once was. not so much the summation of events but more the opinion or "commentary" pieces.

This week feels like an improvement, the Webber iterview is excellent reading, Cooper did a great job.

#19 Rraman

Rraman

• 114 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:36

I really wish I could read the post race analysis a lot sooner.

I understand that it is tied to the journal to add more substance to the weekly journal, but increasingly the journal is getting delayed to really late wednesday/ early thursday depending on your timezones.

There really isn't as much fun in reading the post race analysis (excellent though it may be) a few days after the race has been dissected in the bulletin board and other web sites.

Advertisement

#20 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:21

Originally posted by Rraman
[B]I really wish I could read the post race analysis a lot sooner.

I understand that it is tied to the journal to add more substance to the weekly journal, but increasingly the journal is getting delayed to really late wednesday/ early thursday depending on your timezones.

Try late Thursday in some places.;)

Is it intended that the magazine will come out on Thursdays now? I don't want to sound bitchy but would just like to know if it has been late these last few weeks or the actual deadline has moved to later on. I.e. - should we expect the journal to keep coming when it is now? Or will it go back to how it used to be. I enjoyed reading it at lunchtime (or even when I arrived at work if I was early enough) on Thursdays is all and now I don't get it until after dinner or even later at times.

No complaints about the content though - great stuff still! :)

edit: went to the front page (which I rarely do, having the F1 page bookmarked) and noticed the Journal is indeed already up. For all I know it's been coming up earlier than I thought all this time and it's simply because the F1 page doesn't seem to update that I've been missing it!! :stoned:

#21 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:34

Originally posted by Exar Kun

Try late Thursday in some places.;)

Is it intended that the magazine will come out on Thursdays now? I don't want to sound bitchy but would just like to know if it has been late these last few weeks or the actual deadline has moved to later on. I.e. - should we expect the journal to keep coming when it is now? Or will it go back to how it used to be. I enjoyed reading it at lunchtime (or even when I arrived at work if I was early enough) on Thursdays is all and now I don't get it until after dinner or even later at times.

No complaints about the content though - great stuff still! :)

edit: went to the front page (which I rarely do, having the F1 page bookmarked) and noticed the Journal is indeed already up. For all I know it's been coming up earlier than I thought all this time and it's simply because the F1 page doesn't seem to update that I've been missing it!! :stoned:

1) it's been a few hours late in the last couple of weeks, and I have every intention to bring it back to the old 9pm GMT publication time.

2) Yes, I keep forgetting to update the f1 homepage... too many pages to update now, so it slips my mind! :blush:

#22 bnlflo

bnlflo

• 82 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 15:48

Well, this weeks issue...

...is really really a great one. (especially the BAR feature).

I thought, after critizizing the Journal a while ago, I should give a postitive feedback now, too. :)

:up:

#23 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 20:57

Thats a good point. This weeks edition is sensational :up:

#24 Ice T

Ice T

• 464 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:22

Originally posted by JForce
Thats a good point. This weeks edition is sensational :up:

Seconded. Well worth subscribing. One of the best issues I've read in a while.

:up:

#25 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:19

it came late but great issue this week :up:

#26 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:26

Originally posted by mach4
it came late but great issue this week :up:

Try scanning 36 faxed pages , then passing them through OCR and watching your life pass you by as you go through all the text to fix the OCR errors :(

#27 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:29

Originally posted by bira

Try scanning 36 faxed pages , then passing them through OCR and watching your life pass you by as you go through all the text to fix the OCR errors :(

eek, that doesnt sound like fun. I figured we would have some good information on today's (or yesterday's) proceedings so it was completely understandanble why it was "late".

#28 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:35

Despite the fact that I was very impatient and visited the site every 10 minutes or so for the last 6 hours to see if the magazine had been released, I realised why there would be a delay. The wait was well worth it. Great issue. :up:

#29 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:24

:kiss:

#30 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:41

This week edition is brilliant. You want to increase subscriptions? On say Friday make it available free as a sweetener, let people see what they are missing. Any F1 fan who reads this issue and then doesn't subscribe is an idiot.

#31 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 20:05

Thanks Autosport for FIA v BAR: the Courtroom Drama article includinf FIA and BAR documents, very interesting.

#32 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:07

u mean you dont have a munchkin to do the scannin and stuff for ya ? :p

anyway. stuff is getting better by the week. The BAR stuff was phenomenol.

#33 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:31

I think this has been brought up before. But wasn't sure how to look it up. How come the weekly mag doesn't show up for me any more until very very late or at worst Thursday!!! Normally before the merger I got the updated volume by noon EST USA (GMT -5:00) on Wednesday. Now after the merger I don't. I haven't changed my computer clock so is it now different?

#34 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 21:56

The very late Volumes don't make this site look good. :down:

#35 Fire_Bro

Fire_Bro

• 106 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 00:16

Well, they should change it to "Every Thursday".

#36 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:14

Seeing as we already have a thread here on this kind of thing, I don't want to look like a complaining-type person, but is the issue late? I just worry cause sometimes I can't see it for ages and it seems to be an ISP issue where it takes a few hours to come through (or could be my PC)

#37 Goma

Goma

• 91 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:55

Can't you just wait to Thursday morning?

#38 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:03

Originally posted by Goma
Can't you just wait to Thursday morning?

I don't have a problem with that if that's when it's published. And it being late even if it's supposed to be published on a Wed isn't that much of a problem either. But a few times I've missed the issue for several hours due to odd glitches that seem to correct themselves, so I just wanted to check to see if it HAD been published or not.

#39 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,363 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:08

Great Issue this week!!!

Obviously because of back to back races it is bigger than normal, but this week's is huge!!!! Well done everyone at A-A. :clap:

Advertisement

#40 Frogman

Frogman

• 5,982 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:53

Originally posted by mark f1
Great Issue this week!!!

Obviously because of back to back races it is bigger than normal, but this week's is huge!!!! Well done everyone at A-A. :clap:

Agreed, another masterpiece by Adam Cooper :up:

#41 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 17:07

This weeks issue is brilliant.

Why I particularly like it is because its not only more insightful than most of the issues but several articles are thought through well and they also made me think quite a bit. I found myself going through the laptimes again calculating weights et al.. Some open questions remain and I dont necessarily agree with everything thats published but my hunger is gone. I have very good things to chew on. :up:

#42 vtpachyderm

vtpachyderm

• 1,112 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:02

this weeks issue was an interesting read, but is there any reason why there was no european gp preview article this time around? I think I've looked through all the news threads, and the only preview blurb I found was from Reuters?

I'm pleasantly surprised with the new look atlas after the merger, the site is a little slow at times but I can live with that on those few occasions.

Thanks

#43 Fire_Bro

Fire_Bro

• 106 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:12

Exclusive Interviews, Features & Analysis - Every Thursday

#44 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:30

Originally posted by Fire_Bro
Exclusive Interviews, Features & Analysis - Every Thursday

For more than 50% of our readers, it is published on Wednesday. Live with it.

#45 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:22

Great article by Richard Barnes - never fails to deliver :up:

Sadly, I cant say the same for Karl's article. I used to look forward to his articles (thankfully can look back at some in teh archives). Now they have descended into mediocrity with his anti Kimi tirades!

#46 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 23:16

For more than 50% of our readers, it is published on Wednesday. Live with it.

OK if that's an official statement that it is now published on Wednesdays only for everyone living to the West of Ireland then fine. You need to draw the line somewhere. I'd just like to know when I should expect to see it appear in GMT so I can get to it as it 'hits the mat' as it were.

#47 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:12

Originally posted by Buttoneer

OK if that's an official statement that it is now published on Wednesdays only for everyone living to the West of Ireland ...

I live extremely WEST of Ireland and I don't get it until Thursday. But now I know what's going on.

#48 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:54

I'm not raising a complaint, merely making a request for clarity.

#49 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 16:46

am i correct in thinknig there was no Matt Bishop article last issue?

#50 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 23:07

Originally posted by Mat
am i correct in thinknig there was no Matt Bishop article last issue?

you mean in this week's issue? Err, you'd be wrong in thinking that.