154 replies to this topic

#1 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:43

Looks Good :clap:

little things:

Hello abcdef where abcdef@email.com - can it address me like before as Hello User Name?

Also instead of having the whole page off to the left, is it not possible to have it centered?

RIP AtlasF1

Advertisement

#2 Dylanl

Dylanl

• 24 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:46

wow this site looks great! i liked the look of it before, and now i like the look of it even better! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

#3 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:53

i wasnt expecting the atlas name to disappear. i dont mind the new format. its a bit cluttered and too much red. but its not bad.

#4 Al.

Al.

• 1,449 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:06

There doesn't appear to be any text in the Massa Tests a V8 story or Citreon Return in 2007 story.

I've definately re logged on to the new site.

Edit: Now there is ignore the post

#5 ttgh

ttgh

• 17 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:14

Just seen the new site :

Atlas branding has disappeared totally.
Front page seems very cluttered.
Logged in I get 2 adverts (blocked at my router).
Link adverts to "partner" sites.
Clicking on "view all F1 headlines" takes me to the news section (all motorsport - should apply the F1 filter).

I'll reserve judgement until I've got used to it somewhat - but initial impressions aren't good :(

Cheers
Graham

#6 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:16

A bit sad that it's all Autosport now :(

That said, the new site looks good and appears to work fine, no problems for me yet.

#7 novocaine

novocaine

• 148 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:26

can we please have the margins back

#8 joachimvanwing

joachimvanwing

• 465 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:35

Originally posted by Ickx
A bit sad that it's all Autosport now :(

How I miss the good old atlasf1.com days. Lost forever I guess... dommage dommage

#9 nrp

nrp

• 47 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:48

Originally posted by joachimvanwing

How I miss the good old atlasf1.com days. Lost forever I guess... dommage dommage

I'm not that surprised to see the "Atlas" name go, actually - at least it was kept for the remainder of the season.

So this year we've lost Sauber, Jordan, Minardi and Atlas ...

-- Neil
browsing http://www.waybackmachine.org

#10 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,371 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:00

Is the journal archive on the journal page meant to show the previous editions of this year? At the moment it looks a tad confused.

eg. Volume 1, 1995
Volume 2, 1996
etc.

Mark

#11 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,799 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:42

Standard web practice is to make the logo at the top a link to the home page

#12 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:50

My Atlas/Autosport or whatever it is :D doesn't show the latest journal?

As always, I never use the front page so I currently don't have an opinion. Hope it works out for everyone.

And yes, sad to see the Atlas name go :(

#13 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:57

It's a bit too cluttered at the moment and a pity that Atlas has been fully subsumed. I guess the "My Atlas" (oops, still traces!) feature will reduce the clutter. I tried reading Autosport in the '90s but found it trashy and sensationalist - I hope this site retains an overall Atlas feel.

#14 Ursus

Ursus

• 2,411 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:58

Originally posted by mark f1
Is the journal archive on the journal page meant to show the previous editions of this year? At the moment it looks a tad confused.

eg. Volume 1, 1995
Volume 2, 1996
etc.

Mark

Volume usually refers to a full years issues. So because AtlasF1 started in 1995, that year is volume 1 and we're now up to vol. 11.

Anyway it's a bit sad to see the AtlasF1 name disappear.

#15 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:10

It was important to ease the transition by having Autosport-Atlas for a period of time, but a single brand immediately looks more focused despite the more cluttered front page.

All good things come to an end, I think we should comment on content and overall service rather than getting hung up on what the name is.

Ben

#16 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:15

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy

And wrapping for different window widths would be nice.

Ben

#17 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:16

Having read the journal I have to say that the layout is extremely unfriendly. I don't understand why I am only allowed to use half the screen to read an article. Is this something that can be changed?

#18 MrSlow

MrSlow

• 4,928 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:18

It has been obvious that the content has become more Autosport and less AtlasF1 as time has gone by so it is no surprise that Atlas is now gone. It was inevitable I guess, it has happened a million times before that a big company has eaten a small one and if Bira & company was payed good money I have no problem with that. It is likely that we have a better overall product for our money than before, but at the same time the expectations are also increased when you subscribe to something like this. Where are the videos? Where are the live feeds? Where is the live timing? Or the live coverage (not only F1)? I get that with my Champcars and MotoGP subscription. I also think that, apart from F1, you get much better info/news from other, free, sources.

#19 Al.

Al.

• 1,449 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:22

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy

It does unless you are at the home page.

Advertisement

#20 alexcason

alexcason

• 143 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:39

It looks good but there are a few improvements that need to be made. Firstly, the page needs to be centred and secondly that massive advertisement on the main page needs to be removed.

#21 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,770 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:45

Thw "F1" page is cleaner btu what's with all the flashing adds on a pay site?

And it is a shame the name has gone, I thought they might name the journal "Atlas Journal" as the "serious" part of the site but no luck.

#22 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,770 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:50

Originally posted by JForce
Having read the journal I have to say that the layout is extremely unfriendly. I don't understand why I am only allowed to use half the screen to read an article. Is this something that can be changed?

yeah it's a bit squished isn't it. If i want the news i'll click ont he news link.

#23 snark

snark

• 330 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 13:37

Can myatlas be updated to point directly to the new story links? Using the earlier/next story links from the stories themselves now doesn't show the stories as read/visited back on the myatlas page.

Otherwise, the new layout looks good. The only niggle (that I've seen already mentioned) is the lack of a left margin.

Cheers,
Simon.

#24 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 2,508 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 13:54

Originally posted by Alfisti

And it is a shame the name has gone, I thought they might name the journal "Atlas Journal" as the "serious" part of the site but no luck.

Yes, I thought they might call the journal "Atlas Journal" as well, but it seems the Atlas name has been purged entirely, save for the My Atlas link tucked into the top right of the main page. Pity.

#25 Uxoros

Uxoros

• 861 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 13:54

Originally posted by JForce

Same for me. I prefered the last version. But I guess there's still room for improvment left ?

#26 Fire_Bro

Fire_Bro

• 106 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 14:03

PDF! PDF! PDF! :)

We can't download the whole journal though.

#27 snark

snark

• 330 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 14:04

Originally posted by snark
Can myatlas be updated to point directly to the new story links? Using the earlier/next story links from the stories themselves now doesn't show the stories as read/visited back on the myatlas page.

This one's been done already - thanks!

However, myatlas hasn't picked up that there's a new weekly journal yet...

#28 Al.

Al.

• 1,449 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 14:06

Originally posted by Alfisti

I got the large ad panel with a Ford Ad when I first looked at the site, but now having logged on with cookies the panel is blank. Don't know if that is Autosport or our ad blocker at this end.

This is only on the home page that non-subscribers can access.

I haven't found any flashing ads on any of the subscription pages.

#29 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,946 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 14:07

only looked briefly at it now (i am at work, so i cant spend that much time on the web), and it looks ok. The half screen only articles seems a bit strange though, as it to me would be more natural to have the article centered. Might grow on me though, but for now i'm a bit undecided about that.

Also, a bit sad to see the atlasf1 name dissapear, but thats due to me being a bit nostalgic i would guess...

#30 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 14:16

Before too many tears are shed, check out our old Atlas layout

http://web.archive.o...://atlasf1.com/

#31 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 14:40

Looks nice enough, but add me to the chorus of the "sad to see the Atlas name go" gang. :(
All good things must come to an end I guess.

#32 Fire_Bro

Fire_Bro

• 106 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 14:53

:D

#33 MCH

MCH

• 351 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 15:07

Originally posted by Gilles4Ever

I love that layout. it's clean, no ads, compact, balanced, etc. Plus it's centered as well! I don't like the left allignment with the new site at all, I'm constantly looking at the left corner of my screen, meh.

Sad to see the Atlas name go, was expecting it for a long time but that doesn't make it any nicer to see such a familiar name disappear.

#34 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 16:35

Maybe I got to get used to the new layout, but I think the old site had much more overview.

#35 Sinisa

Sinisa

• 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 16:39

I think this new design is quite okay, but at the moment I miss the testcentre-overview. Besides that, I think it is a shame for a site like Autosport, that the standings and for instance the Formule 1-profiles are directly linked to Forix. Previous versions of AA were journalistic better and looked more as an authority...

#36 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 17:09

Originally posted by Gilles4Ever

Man do I miss that format... :cry:

#37 Draco

Draco

• 1,813 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 17:21

*Much* faster than it was previously. Good stuff! :up:

#38 PhilKerr

PhilKerr

• 1,572 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 17:38

Online Atlas was a much bigger brand than Autosport and had many more subscribers before the merger so the combined one should be AtlasF1 not Autosport.com :down:

Its like Ferrari merging with BAR and racing under the name BAR :down:

But nice layout

#39 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,617 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 18:05

The new format seems ok to me however it is utterly unfair to have Atlasf1 name removed. For me this place will ALWAYS be Atlas....

Advertisement

#40 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 18:15

I tried to log in today.

Doesn't work.

Autosport?

Shucks...

#41 AndyM

AndyM

• 125 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 18:22

The Gallery images are painfully slow here when you try and enlarge them...rest of the site runs OK but I guess the design will have to 'grow' on me....

RIP Atlas...

#42 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 18:33

The new site recognises me when i login and yet won't let me view the content when i click on it (you must login to view this)...database problems again?

#43 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 18:45

Originally posted by PhilKerr
Online Atlas was a much bigger brand than Autosport and had many more subscribers before the merger so the combined one should be AtlasF1 not Autosport.com :down:

Its like Ferrari merging with BAR and racing under the name BAR :down:

But nice layout

It wasn't a merger between Autosport and Atlas. It was a buyout of Atlasf1 buy autosport. Hence the slow death of the Atlasf1 branding. It could've been quicker and they could've done it when the buyout first occured but I think plenty of people would have flipped out. Anyway, I respect their decision to slowly dissolve the Atlasf1 branding (I will sorely miss it as I liked the fact it was doing its own thing), but over the course of this yea I thought it was odd having the two names stuck together, I always ended up entering atlasf1.com instead of autosport-atlas...

A few problems:

1. Page wrapping needs to be applied! (cause I usually have AIM docked to one side of my screen)
2. I CANT LOGIN!!!

#44 turin

turin

• 3,177 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 19:01

Originally posted by Breadmaster
The new site recognises me when i login and yet won't let me view the content when i click on it (you must login to view this)...database problems again?

Same here.

I am utterly confused...in shock actually. No more Grapevine?

RIP Atlas.

-pato

#45 FNG

FNG

• 5,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 19:02

Can't login to the site to read the articles either :mad: Perfer the old layout too.

#46 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 19:09

I had the same problem, but find that if I click the logon option from the main page it lets me in.
Then I can look at the articles. If I just click on an article, no luck :mad:

#47 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 19:13

Oops. Spoke too soon:

The system could not find your login details. This could be because you have previously registered but not subscribed. Or it could be because the subscription database is momentarily not reachable. If you are already subscribed, try logging in again. If you are not subscribed, Click here to access your account and purchase a subscription to autosport.com.

#48 FNG

FNG

• 5,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 19:14

Originally posted by benn5325
Oops. Spoke too soon:

The system could not find your login details. This could be because you have previously registered but not subscribed. Or it could be because the subscription database is momentarily not reachable. If you are already subscribed, try logging in again. If you are not subscribed, Click here to access your account and purchase a subscription to autosport.com.

That's exactly what happens to me. I guess I'm not alone. Technical problems I guess. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.

#49 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,651 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 19:27

Happened to me too.

Can't believe the Atlas name has gone. . . at least the Bulletin Board is still Atlas . . . and is going to stay . . .right???

#50 Cadence

Cadence

• 19,156 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 19:30

Originally posted by FNG

That's exactly what happens to me. I guess I'm not alone. Technical problems I guess. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.

Happened to me as well... growing pains I guess. I used to login with my username / password. I tried my e-mail address / password and this worked. Pain in the ass but, I got in.

Don't think to much of the layout. Jury's still out if I'll keep my membership. :

Edit: Question, is the AtlasF1 Bulletin Board due for a facelift as well?