Jaguar history

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:27

JAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUARJAGUAR

I am interested in the individual history of a range a SS and Jaguar cars such as SS90, SS100, XK120's (specifically alloy cars) C types, D types (inc XKSS) and Lwt E types and I am interested in old photos and details of there racing histories from the most obscure sources.
What do people have in the way of pictures and history. Anything no matter how trivial is sort
terry mcgrath tmcgrath@bigpond.com
co author "the jaguar XK in Australia" Elmgreen and McGrath
" the forerunners of Jaguar" Clucas and McGrath

Advertisement

#2 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 14:29

Well, i have a very nice original photo from LM '56 of both the "D" Types with Portago still recovering from his spin through the Esses, and plenty of HWM Jaguar photos with Abecassis et al.
Oh and a nice postcard of Mike Salmon driving an XK, kindly signed by him.

#3 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 14:54

ATerry, I could give you the racing history of LT1, the ultra lightweight XK120, while it was in Canada. I don't think that has ever been reported. It involves Mercedes deliberately misrepresenting race results!

#4 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 15:58

Do tell David
John

#5 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 17:38

certainly I would love to get details of LT1 while in Canada
I believe it is now in Japan.
regards

#6 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 19:19

Originally posted by terry mcgrath
certainly I would love to get details of LT1 while in Canada
I believe it is now in Japan.
regards

:( That makes me sad-David Cottingham bought it back from the Canadian owner 30 years after selling it to him.

LT1 was one of three very lightweight XK120 bodies built of either magnesium or elektron in a rush by Jaguar when they thought the 'C' Type would not be ready for LeMans. In any event, the 'C' Types were ready and the three lightweight bodies were sold off-LT2 ending up in California on a 120 raced by Phil Hill and LT1 was sold to Bob Berry who worked at Jaguar and who was racing an XK120. Berry fitted the LT1 body to his existing 120 chassis and through the fifties it became the fastest XK120 in the world and may still be. Berry fitted a wet sump 3.8 'D' Type engine, and 4 wheel Dunlop disc brakes.

LT1 appeared for sale in 'Road & Track' magazine in 1968 and was bought by Vancouver resident Bill Makin. Bill did nothing with the car for the next few years, I am not even sure if he even drove it! However, in 1976 he had Ed Arnold do a 'quickie' restoration and co-incidentally the Vintage Racing Club started at about the same time. Bill was lured into allowing the late Peter Price the drive the car at one of the VRCs early events and Peter and the car were obviously made for each other. Preparation of the car for the first race involved Ed Arnold cold chiselling holes through the floor while the car sat on pre-grid so the obligatory 3" lap belt could be installed!
Bill became enthused over racing the car as long as it didn't cost him any money-despite the fact that he had inherited a sizeable fortune from the family lumber business. Peter finally waited until Bill went out of town for a few days and when he returned found the 'D' Type engine scattered all over Peter's shop! Peter, and ex English mechanic, did a full rebuild. Getting the engine in and out was a problem because these lightweight shells had very small bonnet openings (and no boot opening).

Peter continued to race the car for several seasons with excellent results at Westwood, Portland and Laguna Seca where he had a great dice with Steve Griswold in a 'D'Type and another time with a very hairily driven Allard J2X. I recall one day after we had done some work on the car Peter and I went for a test drive; leaving a traffic light near the centre of Vancouver Peter couldn't restrain himself and did a full racing start--a couple of hundred yards down the road we passed a 10 year old boy standing on the sidewalk, hands over ears, knees locked together as we rocketed past! In 1978 Mercedes Benz were the featured marque at Monterey and Peter was entered in LT1. During practice it became obvious that his only real competition was a Corvette that was very fast, there were numerous Mercedes 300SLs, some of them lightweights, but none were competitive.

One of the high lights of this event was the helicopter, apparently flown by an ex Vietnam combat pilot, that was carrying the camera for the film that Mercedes Benz was making of the event; it was stunning to watch this chopper flying backwards in front of the lead cars, even down through the Corkscrew!

Peter started his race well in LT1, neck and neck with the 'vette but something had changed, one of the lightweight Gull Wing Mercedes was suddenly very competitive! Then the announcer told us why-the owner had passed over his drive to a ringer--Paul O'Shea, multiple SCCA Championship winner during the fifties in Gull Wing Mercedes!

I stood next to Henry Manney throughout the race and we both became concerned at times because the Vette, LT1 and the Gull Wing were going at it like Formula Fords. LT1 received a sizeable dent in the front when Peter tried to outbrake the Vette into turn nine only to have the door slammed on him. It became a race between the Vette and LT1 but the Gull Wing was in a very strong third. And that is how they finished: Unless you watch the Mercedes movie that was made of the event! Mercedes could obviously stomach having a Corvette (with an illegal 327 engine!) beat their star but not their old rival Jaguar. In the movie (Which is otherwise excellent) they finish 'Vette, Gull Wing, LT1! I have the official results still and they show what actually happened; the Mercedes put up a good fight but was beaten by both Vette and Jag. Did Mercedes really need to do that?

Peter continued to Race LT1 for another year or so but when he moved to the States Bill drew the line. The car then sat for many years-outside while Bill slowly drank himself to death. Finally LT1 was sitting on flat tires covered in green mould, the roof over Bill,s indoor swimming pool had collapsed the house was almost totally derelict and Bill refused all offers from potential buyers for LT1. Finally, David Cottingham, who had sold Bill the car in 1968 phoned him and Bill agreed to sell it back to him. Bill died shortly after that. Peter Price died two months ago in Portland.

Peter racing LT1 at Monterey Historics in 1977 followed by Bill Harlan in the Allard J2X and Hageman Jaguar which is not in the running:

Posted Image

One of you clever dicks can figure out how to rotate this image without it cropping half the Allard!

#7 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,776 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:56

This better?
Posted Image

#8 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 14:49

Many thanks, :wave:

#9 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 23:11

I am the proud owner of an alloy bodied XK-120 Super Sport roadster, chassis number 670069, which is the 69th LHD XK-120 built (December 1949). I bought this car in August of 1968 just outside of St. Louis, and I am the 4th owner. The original owner was Lee Hunter, inventor and owner of Hunter wheel alignment equipment. The selling dealer was Clayrich Motors of St. Louis, and the distributor was Charles Hornburg in Los Angeles. Max Hoffman was the Jaguar distributor for the US, east of the Mississippi, and Hornburg was the Jag distributor for dealers west of the Mississippi. (I always wondered if my car was really shipped all the way to Los Angeles only to be shipped back to St. Louis? Somehow, I kind of doubt it.) My car has never been restored and it's still a nice looking and driving XK-120. It is my understanding that only 240 "pre-production" alloy bodied XK-120s were built.

#10 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 16:09

peter Zobian thanks for the info on your alloy XK120 a name I am familiar with from reading the magazines over the years.
We are trying at present to determine the correct chassis number for the Clark Gable alloy 120 and to do this it is almost necessary to come up with history for all the cars to see which ones fit the bill.
The big event is XK60 being held at Goodwood next July 600 odd XK's including 660004 from australia
regards

#11 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 17:33

The big event is XK60 being held at Goodwood next July 600 odd XK's including 660004 from australia
regards

This sounds something worth putting in the diary and going top see. Any further details? I have seen anything come through from GRRC - but then, as David McK has pointed out before, I am so often looking in the wrong direction.

#12 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 17:39

regards

This sounds something worth putting in the diary and going to see. Any further details? I have seen anything come through from GRRC - but then, as David McK has pointed out before, I am so often looking in the wrong direction.

There I go again. Should have Googled before posting:

http://www.xkclub.com/events_info.htm

and

http://www.xk60.com/...ood_cowdray.htm

to name but two.

#13 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 21:04

Just wondering about the Jaguar D Type that Ken Miles and Carlyle Blackwell raced and won in. Does it still exist? The race was at Pomona for the 6hr sportscar race on november 22nd 1958. What colours was it as i,ve only seen b/w pictures of the car. It seemed a pretty wild colour combination.

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 22:40

Originally posted by Hse289
Just wondering about the Jaguar D Type that Ken Miles and Carlyle Blackwell raced and won in. Does it still exist? The race was at Pomona for the 6hr sportscar race on november 22nd 1958. What colours was it as i,ve only seen b/w pictures of the car. It seemed a pretty wild colour combination.

Youll find details here where someone has altruistically published their research. It still exists and was coloured yellow and black

#15 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 20:47

D Type, thanks for pointing me towards that info. Yellow and black, now that would make a good model.

#16 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:13

Originally posted by D-Type

Youll find details here where someone has altruistically published their research. It still exists and was coloured yellow and black

Keeping track of which car is/ was which must be VERY difficult. In my amateur way I have used that website too when trying to track a particualr Jaguar and thought it infallible. Yesterday, however, I noticed only for the first time that Jaguar 774RW had won Le Mans not once, as I've always thought, but twice - and as completely different cars, to boot. First, in 1953 as Duncan Hamilton/ Tony Rolt's C-type (race no 18); second in 1955 as Hawthorn/ Bueb's D-type. Yet the list on the website states that the C-type's registration was LSF420, and this is indeed the number now carried on the C-type owned by Adrian Hamilton and said by one and all to be the '53 Le Mans winner. And 774RW is the registration number now displayed on the nose of the D-type that is often seen at the Revival and elsewhere with race number 6 and the names of J.M.Hawthorn and I. Bueb painted by the cockpit and said to be the '55 LM winner - but the aforementioned website would appear to suggest that that car is a re-build of the car before it, chassis number DK504.

Presumably, 774RW was a Jaguar-owned Trade Plate registration number (which would explain why on the present D-type carrying the number the numerals and letters are in red, which to this day is the required colour for British trade plates, and which until now I had never thought about as being in any way significant) and could thus be moved from car to car with impunity - but why, if the '53 C-type was already registered as LSF420 did it go to Le Mans under a trade plate?

Of course, I'm sure you guys knew all this already...

:wave:

#17 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:22

One day in the late seventies, Peter Price was returning from the Monterey Historics towing LT1 in an enclosed trailer that had a huge rendition of the the 'Leaping Jaguar' on the side. As they came through one town a guy in a pick up truck flagged them down, asked if there was a Jag in the trailer and when told there was asked if Peter would like to come and see his Jag which was just down the road. Peter followed him and they end up at a fairly substantial estate. Guy in the pick up truck opened a garage door and sitting there on flat tires was a short nose 'D' Type!! The guy had bought the car new, raced it once or twice and parked it.....Twenty years later when I phone him it was still there! I seem to recall the number but my Jaguar history books are in storage.

#18 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 15:07

Originally posted by Mal9444

Keeping track of which car is/ was which must be VERY difficult. In my amateur way I have used that website too when trying to track a particualr Jaguar and thought it infallible. Yesterday, however, I noticed only for the first time that Jaguar 774RW had won Le Mans not once, as I've always thought, but twice - and as completely different cars, to boot. First, in 1953 as Duncan Hamilton/ Tony Rolt's C-type (race no 18); second in 1955 as Hawthorn/ Bueb's D-type. Yet the list on the website states that the C-type's registration was LSF420, and this is indeed the number now carried on the C-type owned by Adrian Hamilton and said by one and all to be the '53 Le Mans winner. And 774RW is the registration number now displayed on the nose of the D-type that is often seen at the Revival and elsewhere with race number 6 and the names of J.M.Hawthorn and I. Bueb painted by the cockpit and said to be the '55 LM winner - but the aforementioned website would appear to suggest that that car is a re-build of the car before it, chassis number DK504.

Presumably, 774RW was a Jaguar-owned Trade Plate registration number (which would explain why on the present D-type carrying the number the numerals and letters are in red, which to this day is the required colour for British trade plates, and which until now I had never thought about as being in any way significant) and could thus be moved from car to car with impunity - but why, if the '53 C-type was already registered as LSF420 did it go to Le Mans under a trade plate?

Of course, I'm sure you guys knew all this already...

:wave:

You're quite right, 774RW (red letters on white background) was one of the Jaguar trade plate numbers. While the cars were entered by the works they were driven to and from events on the road using trade plates and insured through the works insurance. When they were sold at the end of the season (or when the team had finished with them) they had to be freshly registered. Thus Chassis XKC 051 (1953 Le Mans winner) went to its new "owners" Ecurie Ecosse and was registered LSF 051; XKC 052 (4th at Le Mans) became LSF 672 and XKC 053 (2nd at Le Mans) became LFS 671.

Perhaps surprisingly later owners may have changed significant registration numbers to suit themselves.. pity the poor historian.

#19 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:49

If I could work out how to post pics onto the page I could upload some interesting photos the instuctions would need to be simple with pictures for me to understand.
For those interested in Jaguar stuff there is some interesting stuff on this thread
"Very well known to have been in the lake... "
Anyway back to working out how to post pics
terry

Advertisement

#20 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 14:52

As I understand it (and I may be wrong) there is some part of 774RW, front frame(?) which is Hawthorn/Bueb. When the car came into the ownership of David Lomas, now sadly deceased, there was a bit of competition with Adrian Hamilton, or was it Duncan, who wanted the number for the C type. David won and the Hamilton car kept its reg No as issued in 53.

#21 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 23:15

If I could work out how to post pics onto the page I could upload some interesting photos the instuctions would need to be simple with pictures for me to understand.
For those interested in Jaguar stuff there is some interesting stuff on this thread
"Very well known to have been in the lake... "
Anyway back to working out how to post pics
terry

Terry, try working through this post which Ray Bell patiently put up as an idiot's simple guide to posting.
Page 9 post 351 gives full details. It is so clear, even I can use it.

http://forums.autosp...y=&pagenumber=9

Roger Lund.

#22 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 23:32

Years ago, a fellow in Ohio offered me two C-Type Jaguars with consecutive serial numbers for US$3,500. I had just purchased a very nice Porsche 550-1500RS spyder so didn't buy them - stupid me. :mad: I don't remember their chassis numbers, but if I remember correctly they were in the Toledo area.

#23 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 14:29

I am chasing info on XJ220's some 280 were actually built and it would be great keep track of them for the future.
If you or your neighbor has one in the garage please let me know.
Of particular interest are the 220S built and the cars that ran at LeMans
terry
australia

#24 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 14:58

Delivering a Carver to a customer in south Essex before Christmas, he had a 220 in his garage along with half a dozen other supercars.

http://www.pistonhea...tones/xj220.htm

#25 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 22:47

thanks,
you didn't happen to take a picture or 2 or rember rego no
regards

#26 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 21:54

Terry:

Do you know how many of the 240 "pre-production" alloy XK120 Jaguars are known to still exist? Anyone?

#27 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 23:33

I did a comprehensive listing in jaguar world magazine some time back and whilst I don't have a copy to hand the accountability rate is up around the 90% this includes cars known to have been broken up etc.
I am putting a book together as part of the series of books we have done and are doing which will itemise and include the history of each and every Alloy 120.
For my most recent book see www.paulskilleter.com or www.paulskilleter.com/jaginau.php
A lot of the work is done but need to do the racing histories ie go through every american magazine and every copy of Autcar and motor also a bit to do on european race records.
But at the end of the day as an educated guess 75% minimum of all cars survive obviously with a number still need major rebuild from wrecks.
We also have a problem where at least 3 cars have been duplicated and at least one car stated to exist which is a copy.
It will be interesting to see how many alloy cars get to XK60
one car going is 660004 from australia the most extensively used alloy 120 in the world and one owner since 1961
terry

#28 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 16:04

Terry, I have no idea how much interest you'd have in this, but I was a 25yo "gopher" on Briggs Cunningham's trio of E-types at LeMans 1963. I worked with the team all week, incl "helping" with preparation, and spent the race in the signalling pits at the exit of the Mulsanne turn.

ottomh the drivers were Briggs Cunningham, Roy Salvadori, Walt Hansgen, Bob Grossman and...I'm having a Senior Moment on the remaining two. (Am currently away from my resources: details to follow.)

Added: Augie Pabst was chauffeur #5. #6 I can't find listed, but believe it was Paul Richards.

#29 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 21:52

Terry,

I almost forgot that I once owned another alloy XK120 Super Sport, chassis number 670018. I bought it when I was living in Ann Arbor, Michigan and it came out of the Houston, Texas area. It needed a complete restoration and I traded it to Roland Duce in England for a somewhat restored 1934 Morgan MX4 Super Sport. Duce was a dealer in odd sports cars and vintage motorcycles. I'm sure it has been restored and wonder where it is today?

#30 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:00

I have a little on roland duce the last involvement was an SS100 18060 he restored for and australian and which was sold to ian cummins and finished up in australia only to later return to the UK. see the full history of this car in 'The Forerunners of JAGUAR in Australasia and S.E. Asia' see www.paulskilleter.com
I must have some info on 670018 and will post it
regards

#31 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 23:11

dutch jaguars dutch jaguars dutch jaguars dutch jaguars dutch jaguars dutch jaguars dutch jaguars

I would certainly love to find out more about jaguars racing in holland particularly the 2 mentioned below and also any alloy XK120's and also anything about jaguar SS100's of which a couple ran there prewar.
Holland has always had strong SS and jaguar connections to the extent they printed a dutch language SS sales brochure by about 1931/32 probably the only foreign language brochure done prewar
terry mcgrath
www.paulskilleter.com

this was from another thread
Hans Davids (the very same who raced a C Type Jag in the Spa 1954 thread) had a DB3S Aston, a young Slotemaker had a C Type (apparently not Davids'one), de Beaufort and Mathieu Hezemans (Toine's father I assume) had Porsche Spyders...

#32 Docc

Docc

• 615 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:44

Originally posted by vintageautomobilia
Terry,

I almost forgot that I once owned another alloy XK120 Super Sport, chassis number 670018. I bought it when I was living in Ann Arbor, Michigan and it came out of the Houston, Texas area. It needed a complete restoration and I traded it to Roland Duce in England for a somewhat restored 1934 Morgan MX4 Super Sport. Duce was a dealer in odd sports cars and vintage motorcycles. I'm sure it has been restored and wonder where it is today?

670018 is listed as last seen in 2006 in Safenwil, Switzerland. Data from the excellent resource www.xkdata.com

I have been looking for data on an old warhorse that I own, 673396. Not more than a club racer most probably, but campaigned until the 60s in southern California. Highly modified as C/M class racers of the time.
I bought it in 1973, it is restored to that period of it's life, as it seemed somehow appropriate. We still live for every minute of road time we share.
I have been reading this site for some time, decided it was time to thank you all for the wonderful info and great folks here.

Docc ( a real nickname for many years)
Ken

#33 bschenker

bschenker

• 523 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:15

At Safenwil CH is also the Jaguar Swiss Importer Emil Frey from Walter Frey. Import started for english Produkts (BSA,Amal,..) by his father about 80 years ago at Zurich.

Mayby you can find out more contact the Jaguar.ch or Emil Frey Group.

#34 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 00:39

I looked up the data on alloy XK 120's and for some reason 670018 doesn't seem like it was my car. Maybe my memory isn't what I thought it was. Perhaps mine was 670017 which is not listed. I did add my alloy XK 120 that I still do own, 670069, because it wasn't listed either. Now it is. :D

#35 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 15:38

Well still the deal with TATA is not done, I wonder if Ford are having second thoughts ?

http://www.pistonhea...p?f=23&t=493695

£1bn doesn't sound much I see a bid of $74BN was put in for RTZ today and they said that undervalued the company !

#36 John Elmgreen

John Elmgreen

• 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:34

Peter Zobian: re 120 alloy 670017: Reported stolen by D. Graham, Rhode Island, in 1975 but recovered. Reported owned by Mark Shearman, Leamington Spa, 1988, then Guy Spoolon c. 1992.

#37 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 22:37

There is a great picture on the thread "Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s" of the george phipps XK120 at Bathurst where he was timed at 132.35 mph presumably down Conrod

I have posted the history of the car here to keep it with other jaguar stuff. The history of this car and another 1500 or so is from our new XK book - no title as yet but a complete history of XK jaguars in South America, Africa, Asia and Australia "The Jaguar XK on For Continents"? and is a follow up book from the original book titled "The Jaguar XK in Australia" Elmgreen and McGrath pub 1985
The new book will be available later this year

Black, Biscuit & Tan, Black

Owner: Mike Downey, Vaucluse, NSW.
Chassis completed on 26 July 1950 and despatched 16 August 1950 to Brylaws, Sydney arriving on the “Melbourne Star”. Sold new on 11 October 1950 to C.T.Reynolds. Bought around 1953 by George Phipps who modified it for racing, including overboring and fitting 3 sandcast SUs and an extractor exhaust system. Raced from May 1960 to April 1965 at the Castlereagh Sprints, Silverdale Hill Climb, Lowood, Hume Weir, Lithgow, Katoomba, Forty Bends and Bathurst (where it clocked 132.35 mph in 1963). Bought in August 1973 by Mike Downey after it had been in a garage since the about 1967 and maintained since in excellent original racing condition. Fitted with aero screens, overbored engine, two or three or 2 inch? SUs (with a special short manifold to clear the steering column) and extractor exhaust. Regularly seen at club events.
Regd: NC437 (NSW), 001 (NSW, Vintage)

#38 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 22:39

Originally posted by John Elmgreen
Peter Zobian: re 120 alloy 670017: Reported stolen by D. Graham, Rhode Island, in 1975 but recovered. Reported owned by Mark Shearman, Leamington Spa, 1988, then Guy Spoolon c. 1992.

John Elmgreen:

I wish I could remember exactly the chassis number. I was living in Ann Arbor, Michigan at the time (early 1970's) and I purchased the car sight unseen out of the Houston, Texas area. It was dark green and had been sitting outdoors for several years. As I said, I traded it to Roland Duce in England, even-up for a 1934 Morgan MX4 Super Sport trike. I had already owned my current alloy XK120 (670069) since 1968. Maybe Roland Duce can remember what chassis number it was?

#39 John Elmgreen

John Elmgreen

• 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:24

To Peter Zobian: You previously told us this car was 670018: I do not know its current whereabouts. Your previous posting: Alloy bodied 1949 Jaguar XK120 Super Sports roadster #670018 - found in a field outside of Houston, Texas in the early 1970s. I paid $1,200 for it. It needed a complete restoration (it had really cute lizards living in it) and I swapped it even up to a person in England for a restored Morgan MX4 Super Sport with a water cooled Matchless 1100. I think the Jag was restored and still resides in the UK.

Advertisement

#40 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 160 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:44

John Suttor Jaguar XK140 The Cutting Mt. Panorama Circuit, Bathurst, October 1961.

Posted Image

#41 John Elmgreen

John Elmgreen

• 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:06

John Ellacott: thank you so much for that great pic! The car is chassis 804627, survives on the NSW North Coast. May we use the pic in our new book, with appropriate attribution? Did you take it? regards, John Elmgreen

#42 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 19:16

Originally posted by vintageautomobilia
I looked up the data on alloy XK 120's and for some reason 670018 doesn't seem like it was my car. Maybe my memory isn't what I thought it was. Perhaps mine was 670017 which is not listed. I did add my alloy XK 120 that I still do own, 670069, because it wasn't listed either. Now it is. :D

John Elmgreen: I wish I could remember exactly which chassis number it was. But that was at least 35 years ago. As I said it was a dark green LHD car and it went to Roland Duce in England. I would have thought that would have been enough to identify it, after all how many alloy XK120's did Roland Duce have in the early 1970's? :confused:

#43 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:07

Has there been any new jaguar stuff to post on this thread I still havn't mastered that art although other forums I am on it seems rather easy
one day
regards

#44 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 15:55

Chet Flynn noted as from Venezuela ran an XK120 at
these 2 events does anyone have a picture of him at either event

24 may 1952 Bridgehampton 25 Jaguar XK120 Chester Flynn 3rd in Hamptons Cup Race production cars

20 setember 1952 GP Watkins Glen 31 Jaguar XK120 Chester Flynn ST C

He later raced an XK120 at an event in Venezuala check photo at this web site
http://groups.msn.co...oto&PhotoID=637
This was almost certainly a different car

regards

#45 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:12

Earle Cameron raced an XK120 jaguar in Victoria and the Lister Jaguar in NSW
does anyone know where I can find earle cameron or his family

Earle started off in melbourne running a white XK120 probably almost new at various hillclimbs rob roy and hurstbridge in 1952.
In 1962 he purchased lister jaguar VPP9 and fitted a V8 and used it at an Amaroo Pk hillclimb and his mechanic Neville Alder ran it in drag racing at Castlereagh, he also did some speed boat racing in a boat called "Nitro"
In 1963/64 he was also racing an austin healey.
He may have been involved in a family building company
Any clues as to his wherebouts
terry

#46 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 00:44

dear all,
I am researching information on SS90 and SS100 jaguars for a book we are working on detailing the history of these cars from when new to now I am particularly interested in getting any information on these cars racing on the continent 1935 to 1950 and below are some examples.
Any information, copies of race reports, race programme entries or photos would be most welcome and not only Europe but anywhere else and indeed information on any SS100's at any point in there life racing or otherwise
regards terry
Australia

1937 Vila Real Portugal road street curcuit Casimiro de Oliveira 2.5 litre SS100 first

Marne Grand Prix 1936 FJ McEvoy 2.5 l SS100 first in class

Belgium Spa 24 hour race
12.7.1936 24 h Spa Jaguar SS100 Emile Cornet DNF

In a German source ("Motorsport-Informationsdienst", issue July/1948
"In the race for the 'Prize of the President of Poland', which had 55 classified of a total of 89 starters, the main trophy went to the victorious Czech Aero-Minor small-car team Hodac, Wlock and Mrac. In the medium class Skoda drivers were all among themselves and the final was won by Czech driver Pohl on Jaguar in front of Tatra driver Hausmann."

Warszawa
6.05.1948 (Thursday)
Street circuit: Aleja Stalina (now Aleje Ujazdowskie) - Agrykola - Mysliwiecka – Górnoslaska (~2900 m) – 10 laps
100.000 spectators

Klasa S (sports cars)
1. Marian Wierzba, Lancia, 23m28,5s = 73,0 km/h
2. Józef Biernacki, Hanomag Sturm

Retired
major Sobel (military driver), BMW
Jerzy Wereszczynski, MG
Wasilewski, Hansa
Józef Nowak, Citroën 15
Zbigniew Borowczyk, BMW 328
Józef Sucharda, Jaguar SS – broken wheel – last lap

#47 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:45

Terry

There are some details on the Jag-lovers page on members' S100s I did years ago but maybe you have seen these? Nigel has 39111 which has some UK race history.

You also wanted XJ220 details: Nigel has XJ220 No 005, one of the ten pre-production cars and the one that was used by Martin Brundle to attain the fastest speed ever achieved by an XJ220 of 217mph. It's undergoing mods to get it back to the original 220 concept with a genuine V12 ex-220 engine (rescued from Browns Lane) and some chassis lengthening.

Cheers - nice to see you at Goodwood very briefly last year!

Edited by tonyb, 02 June 2009 - 08:55.

#48 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 16:28

According to Blight's French Sports Car Revolution, Frank McEvoy "bought the seventh SS100 to be built" and that is the car he raced at the Grand Prix de la Marne. He, perhaps more famously, also raced a 6CM Maserati that year.

#49 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 00:30

SS100 racing 1930's-1950's
thanks for the mention of "French Sports Car Revolution" I do have a copy but havn't been through it yet to gleen the SS bits of info and in fact have many other books to do the same.
I am chasing details of SS100's racing on the continent and certainly they were raced and hillclimbed in Switzerland and raced in Holland Poland France and Portugal they were also raced in South Africa prewar and immediate post war and Argentina.
Anyway any snippets of info whether on SS100's racing or just static shots of SS100's would be appreciated
terry

According to Blight's French Sports Car Revolution, Frank McEvoy "bought the seventh SS100 to be built" and that is the car he raced at the Grand Prix de la Marne. He, perhaps more famously, also raced a 6CM Maserati that year.

#50 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 00:37

can anyone help as to what sort of Jaguars Pohl and Sucharda would have been in sports cars or saloons?

Rally of Poland 1948

1948: Ivan Hodac, Czechoslovakia, Aero-Minor (g.I)
Vaclav Bobek, Czechoslovakia, Skoda 1101 (g.II)
Julian Łączyński, Poland, Lancia (g.III)
A. Anton, Czechoslovakia, BMW (g.IV)
Jiri Pohl, Czechoslovakia, Jaguar (g.V)
Józef Sucharda, Poland, Jaguar (g.VI)