Photo

McLaren - MP4-25 Thread [merged]

• Please log in to reply
26653 replies to this topic

#1 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,366 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:39

Well folks, 12 months ago we thought we'd fighting for the WDC/WCC in 2009, but after being 2.5 seconds slower on week 11 we still managed to score 71 points, got 3rd on the WCC, 4 poles and 2 wins!

Bring on 2010 and the titles! :)

Advertisement

#2 alexbiker

alexbiker

• 583 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:42

The development of the 24 was incredible.

Stick some more fuel in it and make the underfloor work . . . .

Oh, and take that Meccano motor and 80's mobile phone battery pack out, and we're laughing.

#3 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:43

You had to be the first didn't you?  ;)

#4 teewoods

teewoods

• 460 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:48

Am I the only one sad to see the MP4 -24 go? The car without Kers is a huge uncertainty. If the season just started we know we could be winning the WDC. Macca got its arm twsited by Ferrari and Renault

#5 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:51

McLaren need to learn from their mistakes - but the second half of the season showed they can certainly do that.

With a good car, and a good team mate to one of the best drivers on the grid, we should be in a good position to challenge for both titles next season.

Good bye 24, good luck 25!

#6 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:53

HEY. I told you guys I wanted to start it.

I am going to ask the mods to close this one right now.

#7 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:55

Q: With only two races to go the focus must be on the 2010 car. How far along is that process?

MW: The car is very developed. Aerodynamically it is already superior to this car because we were able to work with the regulations as they are now being interpreted. So one can imagine that there is a relatively extreme double diffuser system on the car and it is quite a radical departure from this year’s car. We’re spending all our development resources on that project and it looks exciting. We will have a very competitive car next year, because frankly if not, you can’t win a championship as we did this year.

#8 DePortago

DePortago

• 189 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:56

Don´t get horny, boys. McLaren´s improvement has been amazing, but if Ferrari hadn´t lost Massa they would have been the third force (even after they decided not to improve the F60 since july).

#9 Bishy

Bishy

• 989 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:56

Indeed guys, it's been an emotional ride with the MP4-24 and a shame she couldn't sign out in style after the potential showed yesterday however a MASSIVE :up: to the guys at Woking for turning a frog into a King for the latter half of the season :clap:

I for one am waiting with baited breath to see what you have in store for us fans with the '25! :D

#10 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 14:59

Geez, it's not like McLaren forced Luca to hire Badoer and Fisi.....

#11 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,366 posts

HEY. I told you guys I wanted to start it.

I am going to ask the mods to close this one right now.

We don't need those silly things that normally lead to stupid discussions and then close the threads.

We managed to put a good level of discussion on the MP4-24 thread all over the last 12 months, so let's try to make the same thing here, right?;)

#12 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

I wonder what a "extreme DD" is

#13 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:00

Am I the only one sad to see the MP4 -24 go? The car without Kers is a huge uncertainty. If the season just started we know we could be winning the WDC. Macca got its arm twsited by Ferrari and Renault

Erm kinda. However today (and Suzuka and Interlagos) gave me the impression Lewis flattered (as did Kimi) the car he drive. Lewis looked relieved to see the end of the MP4-24.

#14 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Don´t get horny, boys. McLaren´s improvement has been amazing, but if Ferrari hadn´t lost Massa they would have been the third force (even after they decided not to improve the F60 since july).

Took 8 posts for trolls to creep in.

A new record!

#15 raiseyourfistfor

raiseyourfistfor

• 2,177 posts

To be honest, I would've preferred Lewis to be #7 for next year but beating Ferrari is always great

#16 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

JUst checking in. :clap:

#17 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 995 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:01

I wonder what a "extreme DD" is

Reminds me of a girl I once dated...

#18 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:02

:kiss: To the whole McLaren team and Mercedes' awesome engines/KERS, superb recovery by the folks at Woking.

#19 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:02

We don't need those silly things that normally lead to stupid discussions and then close the threads.

We managed to put a good level of discussion on the MP4-24 thread all over the last 12 months, so let's try to make the same thing here, right?;)

Too bad. I've already asked them :)

haha, gotcha! little jokes to start the new thread aren't welcome anymore?

Edited by mkay, 01 November 2009 - 15:03.

Advertisement

#20 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:03

Too bad. I've already asked them :)

haha, gotcha! little jokes to start the new thread aren't welcome anymore?

Why not be the one to create the drivers thread? This is car, let the other concentrate on team mate battles?

#21 teewoods

teewoods

• 460 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:03

Erm kinda. However today (and Suzuka and Interlagos) gave me the impression Lewis flattered (as did Kimi) the car he drive. Lewis looked relieved to see the end of the MP4-24.

He may every well had flattered the car but the team are still heading to an uncertainty. I would have loved to keep Kers if only to annoy that cry baby Vettel

#22 McDamo

McDamo

• 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:04

Show me the downforce!!!

#23 raiseyourfistfor

raiseyourfistfor

• 2,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:05

He may every well had flattered the car but the team are still heading to an uncertainty. I would have loved to keep Kers if only to annoy that cry baby Vettel

:rotfl: That would've been great

#24 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:05

I think KERS with bigger fuel tanks would cause too much of a rearward weight distribution.

#25 f1rules

f1rules

• 8,004 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:06

lol :rotfl:

#26 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:07

Some trolls are already giving the thread a 1-star rating.

#27 teewoods

teewoods

• 460 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:11

Q: With only two races to go the focus must be on the 2010 car. How far along is that process?

MW: The car is very developed. Aerodynamically it is already superior to this car because we were able to work with the regulations as they are now being interpreted. So one can imagine that there is a relatively extreme double diffuser system on the car and it is quite a radical departure from this year’s car. We’re spending all our development resources on that project and it looks exciting. We will have a very competitive car next year, because frankly if not, you can’t win a championship as we did this year.

I want to get excited about this but I wont!! Anyone remember Whitmarsh and Laceys comments about the MP4 - 24 in Dec 2008?

#28 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:12

I think the key for next year will be Weight Distribution and Tyre Wear. I wander if the MP4-25 will have a less agressive suspension design and if the driver will be positioned further forward.

Edited by TheArmchairCritic, 01 November 2009 - 15:12.

#29 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:13

I don't think anything is wrong with the suspension, its one of the best in the business for Kerb riding.

Driver further forward I think is almost a given.

#30 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:14

I want to get excited about this but I wont!! Anyone remember Whitmarsh and Laceys comments about the MP4 - 24 in Dec 2008?

Yes but they know they have more foundation to progress with Aero than Red Bull etc. Last year they only had internal targets.

Edited by TheArmchairCritic, 01 November 2009 - 15:14.

#31 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:15

I don't think anything is wrong with the suspension, its one of the best in the business for Kerb riding.

Driver further forward I think is almost a given.

Yes but a more neutral suspension like Brawn could be more useful next year with no refuelling.

#32 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:18

The brake issue compromised his race. Not only because he had to retire; it ruined his pace. All the indications were he was at least 2-3 tenths quicker than the Red Bulls all weekend.

The brake issue today was very peculiar; it affected just one corner of the car.

#33 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:20

The brake issue compromised his race. Not only because he had to retire; it ruined his pace. All the indications were he was at least 2-3 tenths quicker than the Red Bulls all weekend.

The brake issue today was very peculiar; it affected just one corner of the car.

I know quite how Lewis could keep pace with Vettel with a fairly sigificant problem shows how quick the Car+Driver combo was around this track.

#34 ItisI

ItisI

• 1,014 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:20

Someone mentioned it already, the revolutions / evolutions on the MP4-24 were rediculous (as in fast), every race there was something fundamentally new, diffusers / chassis / bodyworks / wings / and the list is long ... McLaren has one of the best development facilities as we seen this year, what was the 'B' version worth in secs? About 2 seconds? And still McLaren brought new parts, nothing is good enough, nothing is fast enough.

I'm proud to be a McLaren fan.

:wave: MP4-24, and hail MP4-25!

#35 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:23

ROFLMAO! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#36 H0R

H0R

• 4,114 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:26

Ok, heeeeere we go.

After the pace of Abu Dhabi I am cautiously optimistic for the 25. McLaren's simulators seem to have been quite successful in predicting the circuits needs and therefore seeom to be reasonably calibrated. I jjust hope this means tghe the simulator's work for developing the 25 will be successful.

#37 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:29

finally the thread is here..

MW from 28th october interview

Therefore, we have put a tremendous amount of effort into next year's car. I know it is already a quicker car inherently and has good momentum, and good progress is continuing to be made day-by-day.

I think we have accepted the interpretation of the regulations now, because at the beginning of this year we didn't have the same interpretation as some other teams. We didn't make a noise about that, because frankly we had our own work to do, but I think we've taken full advantage with next year's car.

“Everyone has been working hard and I've every confidence that we will come out of the box with a competitive car at the beginning of next year, but we have a lot of tough competitors and I'm sure that Ferrari and other teams are pushing equally hard. No-one here is complacent that it will be easy to go out there and win races, but I really believe we will be up there.

#38 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:32

http://www.tomorrown...la-de-2011-8824

Mercedes stays with McLaren even after 2011?

#39 teewoods

teewoods

• 460 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:36

Someone mentioned it already, the revolutions / evolutions on the MP4-24 were rediculous (as in fast), every race there was something fundamentally new, diffusers / chassis / bodyworks / wings / and the list is long ... McLaren has one of the best development facilities as we seen this year, what was the 'B' version worth in secs? About 2 seconds? And still McLaren brought new parts, nothing is good enough, nothing is fast enough.

I'm proud to be a McLaren fan.

:wave: MP4-24, and hail MP4-25!

I have to say that sort of spirit is mostly due to Ron.

Advertisement

#40 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:37

http://www.tomorrown...la-de-2011-8824

Mercedes stays with McLaren even after 2011?

Can someone translate this?

#41 Turbo Lag

Turbo Lag

• 87 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:39

Bonjour!

Je suis a la maison!

#42 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:40

Mercedes to keep 40 percent of the stake, not with an ease to their hearts, over a long period of time. They wont discuss possible buy in at Brawn.
My guess, Ron succesfuly got everything that he wanted. Not sure if this is good or bad news.

#43 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:41

Mercedes will remain long-term partner McLaren. The German carmaker said on Sunday he will continue the adventure with the team from Woking. "This is a very tough decision to continue with our partner McLaren on a long-term" launching Norbert Haug reporters until the Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi.

"Rather than go into speculation, I must stress that this team is better than ever before. To discuss other issues and other options that are probably in the air and we've discussed internally, this is simply not the right thing to do. The only decision that is taken is that we are firm, the partners are bound for a long period. "

The directors of Daimler AG played down the stake to 75% Brawn in the future. "Our board of directors, its here, but they are certainly not here to publicly negotiate the future of our involvement in Formula 1. It goes without saying. You can do this past the closed doors of offices in Stuttgart or other, but there will be no change. Whether these rumors, so much the better. But my point is that we are shareholders and 40% of McLaren, we remain. "Said Haug.

Martin Whitmarsh reinforces the remarks: "Daimler is a shareholder at 40% ... they have been a great partner for 15 years and we'll be together for a long time to come yet. He is a passionate enthusiasm for Formula 1 in Daimler

#44 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:41

It has to be good news, Merc engine and money input.
Whatever it gives more time to plan.

But, its a pretty unreliable source, or rather unconfirmed source.

#45 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:46

It has to be good news, Merc engine and money input.
Whatever it gives more time to plan.

But, its a pretty unreliable source, or rather unconfirmed source.

BBC 5-Live reported that too.

#46 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:48

http://in.reuters.co...lBrandChannel=0

#47 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:48

So, I assume that the second car will drive the dutch-speaking driver

#48 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:49

BBC 5-Live reported that too.

We'll see. Ron is a very tough negotiator and if anyone could persuade Merc to stay on Ronzo's the man.

#49 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:50

ah good.

I wonder what the give and take of it all is?

Merc want a full team = Brawn, will Merc become a special partner with cheaper engines?

I'm sure there will be some shift of focus.

#50 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:51

So, I assume that the second car will drive the dutch-speaking driver

????????????