Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:14

Part III this way. Carry on.

Advertisement

#2 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,723 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:16

First  :wave:

Edited by RYARLE, 10 September 2016 - 06:17.

#3 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:16

O rly?

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,265 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:22

How exciting!!!

#5 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:44

So after watching the F1 Report it was interesting to see the pole to race win conversion rates. Hamilton before this season was at 51% but this season just 43%. Whereas Rosberg before this season was at 51% but this season has improved massively to 67%, so Rosberg has upped his game, you could say, but then you would argue that Lewis has had problems in qualifying. 

#6 GLT27

GLT27

• 443 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:49

So after watching the F1 Report it was interesting to see the pole to race win conversion rates. Hamilton before this season was at 51% but this season just 43%. Whereas Rosberg before this season was at 51% but this season has improved massively to 67%, so Rosberg has upped his game, you could say, but then you would argue that Lewis has had problems in qualifying. 

If you are referring to clutch problem that Mercedes supposedly have then we need to blame the clutch for the bad starts of Nico at Hungary and Germany. So the conversion rate of Nico would easily be 100% this year.

Edited by GLT27, 10 September 2016 - 09:50.

#7 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:52

Easy explainable: 4 of 6 Rosberg poles were without Hamilton in the first row. 1 of 7 Hamilton poles were without Rosberg in the first row.

Rosbergs pole conversion with Hamilton on the front row: 0 % (0/2)
Hamiltons pole conversion with Rosberg on the front row: 33 % (2/6) [one was a SC start though]

So no Rosberg didnt upped his game, he simply had more freebies

If you are referring to clutch problem that Mercedes supposedly have then we need to blame the clutch for the bad starts of Nico at Hungary and Germany. So the conversion rate of Nico would easily be 100% this year.

If Rosberg had clutch problems in Hungary (didnt heard that), then Hamilton had perhaps on all the other races the same (Melbourne was confirmed, Monza to the same extend as Hockenheim, nothing was said about Bahrain which is the same as Hungary then), which means Hamiltons pole convo would be 100 % too with this logic (edit: actually not quite as they crashed out in Spain)

Edited by Marklar, 10 September 2016 - 12:39.

#8 GLT27

GLT27

• 443 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:25

If Rosberg had clutch problems in Hungary (didnt heard that), then Hamilton had perhaps on all the other races the same (Melbourne was confirmed, Monza to the same extend as Hockenheim, nothing was said about Bahrain which is the same as Hungary then), which means Hamiltons pole convo would be 100 % too with this logic (edit: actually not quite as they crashed out in Spain)

Exactly. That's why we must avoid the "if this / if that" game because we are not going anywhere. 

#9 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 15:06

Button tips Lewis for 4th WDC !

#10 ToniF1

ToniF1

• 1,530 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 16:25

Let's discuss about cats again  ;) :stoned: 

https://twitter.com/...294158664200192

#11 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 18:20

Let's discuss about cats again  ;) :stoned:

https://twitter.com/...294158664200192

Nicole, the tiger

Should have called it Nicola

#12 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 19:07

Part IV for where world title IV will probably be decided.

#13 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 19:11

Part IV for where world title IV will probably be decided.

Trust me, we will need part V before the title will be decided   ;)

On that note I noticed that Schumacher and Prost won their 50th race as a triple world champion in that season where they won the 4th title. Okay, the stats are anyway all messed up this season, but who knows if this one will sustain  :p

(hopefully I didnt jinxed Lewis for the remaining season with that one now)

Edited by Marklar, 10 September 2016 - 19:14.

#14 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 22:03

I meant that I think the crux of the title will be decided here. Next 4-5 races.

#15 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,123 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 22:42

I meant that I think the crux of the title will be decided here. Next 4-5 races.

Sure, we'll probably get a few races with mixed conditions as well, with Japan and Malaysia being the prime candidates. 

I'm still not convinced Mercedes have an answer for their Singapore slump last year, time will tell, but I think Ferrari and especially RB will be in the mix here regardless; So potentially spells an opportunity for a few cars to split the Mercs this weekend. 

Edited by Mercstar, 10 September 2016 - 22:42.

#16 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 23:32

I say the next 3 races: Singapore (Mercedes was very weak last year), Malaysia (Merc was mediocre last year plus potential mixed conditions) and Suzuka (Red Bull expected to be closer than usual, plus potential mixed conditions).

For me these 3 races are the last chances for big points swings (baring reliability or severe mistakes). The remaining 4 races are expected to be completely dominated by Mercedes, combined with the fact that even if one of them is dropping down the order at the start of the race it is more likely that Mercedes can lead them back into P2 thanks to an bigger advantage and because the relaxed team radio communication is opening up more options to recover. So these races are almost set to be 1-2 finishes (again baring other issues, also Sao Paulo and Austin are not unlikely to be hit by rain....).

If both drivers are stil neck-to-neck after Suzuka then I'm convinced that it will go down the wire (unless reliability strikes in a cruel manner in the last races). As matters stand I believe that one of them will seal the championship in Brazil, because I think that one of them will get a crucial lead in the next few races (thanks to the above mentioned races and reliability), but I can't make my mind up who it will be.

#17 CommanderShepard

CommanderShepard

• 1,358 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:40

I say the next 3 races: Singapore (Mercedes was very weak last year), Malaysia (Merc was mediocre last year plus potential mixed conditions) and Suzuka (Red Bull expected to be closer than usual, plus potential mixed conditions).

For me these 3 races are the last chances for big points swings (baring reliability or severe mistakes). The remaining 4 races are expected to be completely dominated by Mercedes, combined with the fact that even if one of them is dropping down the order at the start of the race it is more likely that Mercedes can lead them back into P2 thanks to an bigger advantage and because the relaxed team radio communication is opening up more options to recover. So these races are almost set to be 1-2 finishes (again baring other issues, also Sao Paulo and Austin are not unlikely to be hit by rain....).

If both drivers are stil neck-to-neck after Suzuka then I'm convinced that it will go down the wire (unless reliability strikes in a cruel manner in the last races). As matters stand I believe that one of them will seal the championship in Brazil, because I think that one of them will get a crucial lead in the next few races (thanks to the above mentioned races and reliability), but I can't make my mind up who it will be.

Very weak in SIN and mediocre in Malaysia while fighting for the win? :lol:

#18 PilotPlant91

PilotPlant91

• 2,286 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:46

Lewis will pull this through....his second half performance has always been better than first half.

EDIT

Rosberg seems to be opposite though LOL

Edited by PilotPlant91, 11 September 2016 - 08:47.

#19 CommanderShepard

CommanderShepard

• 1,358 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:53

Lewis will pull this through....his second half performance has always been better than first half.

EDIT

Not really. 2013 and 2015 better for Rosberg.

Advertisement

#20 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:54

EDIT

I disagree. Hamilton was only in 2009, 2012 & 2014 (and that just in race pace) strong at the end of the season. Usually his best part of the season is the season start (which is usually Rosbergs worst part, this year of course void because of all these issues for Hamilton). Hamilton is usually also a bit stronger in the summer (baring 2014 which was again down to issues). While Rosberg was strong at the end of 2013 & 2015 (and in 2014 over one lap). The last 7 races tend to suit Nico more in my opinion. Though it might be not important with championship pressure involved.

#21 PilotPlant91

PilotPlant91

• 2,286 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:01

I think Lewis was also stronger after summer break last season, of course you can argue Nico had won the last three races. 

#22 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:09

I think Lewis was also stronger after summer break last season, of course you can argue Nico had won the last three races.

Hamilton was strong in Monza, Spa, Singapore. But then Rosberg went to claim 6 poles in a row (though Suzuka was benefitted by a red flag). Could have well won 6 races in a row, with a better start in Suzuka, w/o his mistake in Austin and w/o the DNF in Sotschi.

#23 P123

P123

• 23,967 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:28

Hamilton was strong in Monza, Spa, Singapore. But then Rosberg went to claim 6 poles in a row (though Suzuka was benefitted by a red flag). Could have well won 6 races in a row, with a better start in Suzuka, w/o his mistake in Austin and w/o the DNF in Sotschi.

The swing in qualifying performance coincided with Pirelli's conservatively higher tyre pressures post-Spa. Hamilton never really nailed good quali lap after that. Would Rosberg would have won Suzuka? His race pace was poor. The final three races were dead-rubbers, which although Hamilton was eager to win, outside of the track I suspect he would have been back at the factory had a championship still been at stake rather than flying off to the likes of Malaysia to do sponsor promo events on the back of his WDC. I don't see last year's perfromances as directly comparable to this.

#24 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:54

The swing in qualifying performance coincided with Pirelli's conservatively higher tyre pressures post-Spa. Hamilton never really nailed good quali lap after that. Would Rosberg would have won Suzuka? His race pace was poor. The final three races were dead-rubbers, which although Hamilton was eager to win, outside of the track I suspect he would have been back at the factory had a championship still been at stake rather than flying off to the likes of Malaysia to do sponsor promo events on the back of his WDC. I don't see last year's perfromances as directly comparable to this.

While this is a true you could suspect a trend as the same happened in 2013 (although you could use the same argument as with the tyre pressures as they switched back then mid-season to more conversative tyres) and in 2014 (at least in the quali performance, although Rosberg was generally much closer to Hamilton in that department than in any other year)

However, based on the last 3 seasons it is a fact that Rosberg is doing much better at the end of the season, he just (almost) always bottled it. Of course it could be all just coincidence or simply not compareable (2013 was no championship at stake, 2014 pole not as important as nowaday [edit: oh wait, this is actually compareable :D ] , 2015 was the championship at that stage already pretty much decided)

Regarding Pirelli: they want to introduce more resilient tyres in Malaysia for safety reasons (apparentely no influence on performance). Not that this will cause another swing in performance   ;)

Edited by Marklar, 11 September 2016 - 11:58.

#25 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:42

I can't help but feeling inherent pace will be the last thing that decides the title.

#26 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:49

I can't help but feeling inherent pace will be the last thing that decides the title.

Given that inherent pace was this season so far pretty much irrelevant one could think this, yes  :stoned:

Eveything which is discussed here is of course under the assumption of an straight battle, of course the season so far is heavily affected by reliability issues and other unusual circumstances (like the fact that usually one of them is after lap 1 somewhere in the midfield), but who knows, maybe the last third will be different.

#27 GLT27

GLT27

• 443 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 13:07

If i'm not mistaken there is no way to compare both drivers at Monza last year because of the engine. Its not fair to put Monza there. Also in Suzuka Rosberg had a problem with the engine at the start which costed him the race. Russia is well documented and in Texas he was spectacular until his unforced error which costed him the race. The next three races after that he was mighty strong.

So Rosberg was pretty strong during the second half of the 2015.

#28 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 13:08

Race pace is generally unimportant between the two Mercedes drivers, as long as the leading car is fast enough.  Getting the car off the line well is the most important aspect of the weekend, followed by qualifying on Pole.

Edited by OO7, 11 September 2016 - 13:30.

#29 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 13:12

If i'm not mistaken there is no way to compare both drivers at Monza last year because of the engine. Its not fair to put Monza there. Also in Suzuka Rosberg had a problem with the engine at the start which costed him the race. Russia is well documented and in Texas he was spectacular until his unforced error which costed him the race. The next three races after that he was mighty strong.

So Rosberg was pretty strong during the second half of the 2015.

Rosberg made an mistake in the formation lap in Suzuka which caused his engine to overheat on the grid (which was the reason why he lacked power on the first meters). This was his own fault.

Monza is not compareable, although if you are deducting the apparent deltas between the engines, combined with the fact that Hamilton run without quali mode, then it is fair to conclude that Hamilton put at least an decent performance in. No doubt about it. The races after Singapore (or after Suzuka) were those where Rosberg stepped up (or where Hamilton didnt performed well)

Race pace is generally unimportant between the two Mercedes drivers, as long as the leading car is fast enough.  Get the car off the line well is the most important aspect of the weekend, followed by qualifying on Pole.

In a perfect world it should be the other way around: First race pace, then quali pace and then everything else. But we are talking about F1 here  :stoned:

Edited by Marklar, 11 September 2016 - 13:15.

#30 GLT27

GLT27

• 443 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 13:23

Rosberg made an mistake in the formation lap in Suzuka which caused his engine to overheat on the grid (which was the reason why he lacked power on the first meters). This was his own fault.

Monza is not compareable, although if you are deducting the apparent deltas between the engines, combined with the fact that Hamilton run without quali mode, then it is fair to conclude that Hamilton put at least an decent performance in. No doubt about it. The races after Singapore (or after Suzuka) were those where Rosberg stepped up (or where Hamilton didnt performed well)

keep in mind that I'm not questioning Hamilton's performance at Monza. He was spectacular all weekend long. Even though Hamilton didn't use the qualification mode on his engine he had enough horse power on it to be comfortable ahead of not only Rosberg but also the Ferraris. On top we have to consider the engine millage. When Rosberg tried to use the strat-6 mode to overtake Vettel his engine just gave up.

Edited by GLT27, 11 September 2016 - 13:24.

#31 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,929 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 13:24

I think that Hamilton will maintain a pace advantage for the rest of the year, if anything he's had a larger edge in pure speed this year than ever. Whether that will be enough for the title is a different story.

#32 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 13:32

In a perfect world it should be the other way around: First race pace, then quali pace and then everything else. But we are talking about F1 here  :stoned:

Yep, that is pretty much how it is in motorcycle racing, look at today's MotoGP race for example.  With F1 qualifying is often the most exciting part of the weekend, which is unfortunate.

Edited by OO7, 11 September 2016 - 13:35.

#33 GLT27

GLT27

• 443 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 15:00

I think that Hamilton will maintain a pace advantage for the rest of the year, if anything he's had a larger edge in pure speed this year than ever. Whether that will be enough for the title is a different story.

Your statement is really interesting. I don't know how you get to that conclusion and I would really appreciate if you can to going into details about it. I have the practice, qualification and race data from all the drivers since 2011 and there is not evidence on the data that suggest Hamilton have a greater than ever edge over Rosberg. 

#34 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 15:20

Toto's words:   We don't know whether it's down to the driver or the car. That affected him in the fight into turns one and two mainly."

#35 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 18:13

Not really. 2013 and 2015 better for Rosberg.

They were pretty even during the 2nd half of 2015

SPA: Lewis dominated the entire meeting

Italy: Nico had engine issues throughout the weekend. It was impossible to compare the two.

Singapore: Lewis was doing a number on Nico before he had mechanical issues

Japan: Nico set a quicker banker lap. However, Kvyat wrecked his card, which prevented a final run in qualifying. It's unclear if Nico's poor start was done to him or not. Too many considerations to really compare them

Russia: Nico ahead before throttle issues. He would have probably won without them.

USA: The race was a mess. However, Nico bottled it in the final moments. On the BBC season review he admitted that he made a mistake, and played down the wind excuse. Lewis prevailed when it mattered

Mexico, Brazil, and Abu Dhabi: Nico won these races clean.

Overall without mechanical issues, the score would have probably been 5-4 either way. There wasn't a clear enough gap to say which one was better during this period. In 2013, Nico was clearly the better driver during the 2nd half of the season. In 2014, Lewis dominated the 2nd half of the season. Therefore, if we are making predictions based on past form, it could easily go either way. 

Edited by sennafan24, 11 September 2016 - 18:23.

#36 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 18:26

Since we are now working on Part IV, I will repeat my humble opinion on these 2 fine drivers. I say there is very little to choose between the 2, however I gave a small (but consistently held) advantage to Lewis which projected over the course of a season has resulted in 2 WDCs.

#37 CommanderShepard

CommanderShepard

• 1,358 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 18:28

Since we are now working on Part IV, I will repeat my humble opinion on these 2 fine drivers. I say there is very little to choose between the 2, however I gave a small (but consistently held) advantage to Lewis which projected over the course of a season has resulted in 2 WDCs.

That is a fair assessment.

#38 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,871 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 20:16

That is a fair assessment.

Very fair. I think that, after Hamilton and Rosberg retire and in the event that Rosberg does not win a title... Rosberg's reputation and legacy will be pretty damn excellent because he stayed close so long to arguably the best driver of his generation. Come to think of it... in my mind Rosbergs reputation would not really gain much by winning the world title. Pretty weird... :well:

#39 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 21:36

My opinion on Nico has stayed the same

Flattered by the car? Yes

Better than 75% of the grid? Yes

Advertisement

#40 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 21:51

Very fair. I think that, after Hamilton and Rosberg retire and in the event that Rosberg does not win a title... Rosberg's reputation and legacy will be pretty damn excellent because he stayed close so long to arguably the best driver of his generation. Come to think of it... in my mind Rosbergs reputation would not really gain much by winning the world title. Pretty weird... :well:

I disagree with the bolded: if he wins the title and especially if he wins it convincing (i.e. not by lucking into it) then he gets a rid off his reputation of being all the time in Hamilton's shadow. This is for his legacy imo important (also important for the narrative of this battle as I doubt that it will be remembered as a great battle if one driver is winning all the titles), although my opinion (and of many others who follow the sport closely) on him wouldnt change with a title. This is true.

Agree

75 % is 16.5 -> Nico is in your top 5?

#41 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 22:03

75 % is 16.5 -> Nico is in your top 5?

He's floating around there. 

I'd rate him somewhere between 4th and 7th. 

#42 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 22:16

Unfortunately most will see him as another Webber if he doesn't win a title, the guy who lost 4 seasons in a row against Lewis. Popular opinion already see's him as a guy who rarely beats Lewis in a straight fight, he's going to have trouble shaking that off, but a title would help.

Got a feeling it will go his way this year.

#43 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 22:30

He's floating around there. 

I'd rate him somewhere between 4th and 7th. 

Fair. Ranked him in the same way

Unfortunately most will see him as another Webber if he doesn't win a title, the guy who lost 4 seasons in a row against Lewis. Popular opinion already see's him as a guy who rarely beats Lewis in a straight fight, he's going to have trouble shaking that off, but a title would help.

Agree with everything, including the last sentence....

Although the popular opinion that he is seen as the guy who rarely beats Lewis in a straight fight isn't that bad. Alain Prost had the same in his battle with Senna, but he won a title against him and against many others before that.

The way how battles were fought out and how titles were won is just for us, the fans and close followes of the sport, relevant. Nobody outside of this bubble cares about this: they are just seeing the numbers, the facts and just in some cases beyond that.

Edited by Marklar, 11 September 2016 - 22:31.

#44 PilotPlant91

PilotPlant91

• 2,286 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 23:48

Nico is a very decent pickup in great car. 

His skillset in lesser car and wheel to wheel racing left a lot to be desired.

Lewis should nail this one if external factors does not jeopardize his chance. 

#45 GLT27

GLT27

• 443 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:53

Nico is a very decent pickup in great car. 

His skillset in lesser car and wheel to wheel racing left a lot to be desired.

Lewis should nail this one if external factors does not jeopardize his chance. 

He did a pretty good job in the Williams since 2006 until he leaves in 2009. Also he extracted the maximum from the Mercedes since 2010 until 2013. We can argue about his wheel-to-wheel driving skills. His skillset on lesser cars is not in question.

Edited by GLT27, 12 September 2016 - 10:20.

#46 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,405 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:54

Nico is not flattered by the car. His results are flattered by the car. If him and Ham - I'm here all week - were both at Manor, they'd be as close to each other as they are now (actually they'd be closer, with both on zero points ;) ).

(I do think Nico is flattered by the Pirelli era. If 2017 is 'flatter out' again (you know what I mean), things will look different)

#47 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 13:23

Nico is not flattered by the car. His results are flattered by the car. If him and Ham - I'm here all week - were both at Manor, they'd be as close to each other as they are now (actually they'd be closer, with both on zero points ;) ).

Usually the gaps (I mean the performance gaps) are increasing the worse the car is (of course it depends on the drivers, some, especially top tier drivers, are generall good adaptable and would be close to the other driver in any case), but in the average case it is usually going that way. For example I'm sure that Palmer could regulary qualify in a Mercedes within a few tenths off Hamilton, but if both were in a Renault then I'm convinced that Hamilton would trash him every weekend.

So  Rosbergs results are flattered by the car (as Hamilton's are to some extend, although not as much), but the performance could be as well (this is open to discuss as he and Hamilton faced just once in a lesser car, when Hamilton was new in the team). I'm also not sure if Rosbergs 'pre-Hamilton'-career is an good indicator: He had just two team mates partnered over more than one season and unlike in the current situation he was holding an pace advantage overall over them: argueably the Williams was much faster in 2009 than in 2008 and Rosberg immediately outclassed Nakajima much more than in the previous season. His stint with Schumacher had generally consistentely average cars, Rosberg was faster when the car peaked a few times. But I think that this indicates absolutely nothing. Hamilton's career is not completely conclusive too: he didnt really dominated Heikki much more in the first half of 2009 than in 2008 (I mean performance wise, not points wise, although he had a few stellar performances there) and he was flying when the car was competitive again in the summer. Against Button his worst season was when McLaren had a good and consistent package in 2011. While he absolutely smashed Button when the package was inconsistent but at times quick in 2012. In 2010 the package was good and his gap modest.

(I do think Nico is flattered by the Pirelli era. If 2017 is 'flatter out' again (you know what I mean), things will look different)

This is debatable. I personally believe that Rosberg can handle 'flat out' better than the Pirelli management BS, at least mentally, which is important (in Hamilton's case I believe that it makes no difference, as he is doing everything more 'natural', he isn't thinking as much). Also next years cars have more grip and Rosbergs gap to Hamilton always diminishes the more grip is available.

The point where your theory might turn out to be true is that the Pirellis are demanding a more 'restricted' approach, this usually means that a driver can't play out an pace advantage he has (and hence the gap gets smaller than it would be, restrictions are always affecting the faster driver more in relation, this is a fact). But who says that Hamilton is stil holding an pace advantage next year? While the wider and more durable tyres should help him to kinda revert back to his prefered driving style, it is quite possible that it will benefit Rosberg more in the end. 

Generally I would say that if anything Nico is flattered by the 'overtaking is quite difficult' era (as it is obvious that Hamilton is generally so far in this partnership holding an pace advantage), which we have with some exceptions since the end of the 90s.....

Edited by Marklar, 12 September 2016 - 13:58.

#48 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,405 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 14:23

Usually the gaps (I mean the performance gaps) are increasing the worse the car is (of course it depends on the drivers, some, especially top tier drivers, are generall good adaptable and would be close to the other driver in any case), but in the average case it is usually going that way. 

When his MGP was considerably worse than it is today, ROS didn't have an awful lot of trouble with tonking a certain MSC.

Concerning 2017, I may remember wrong but I thought that I had mentally archived ROS as 'the fader' during his Williams years. Good qualifier that sort of went backwards in the races, pace wise. Of course, he is a different driver today so he might have solved that particular issue (or, it might ~look~ as if it is solved due to the current generation of cars being 'easier' to drive; 'easier' as in 'drive to delta well below what car is capable of').

We'll see. In about 12 months :D.

Edited by Brackets, 12 September 2016 - 14:24.

#49 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 14:40

When his MGP was considerably worse than it is today, ROS didn't have an awful lot of trouble with tonking a certain MSC.

Schumacher 2010-12 is not the same benchmark as Hamilton nowadays. As I said Schumacher was usually also closer in that time if the car wasnt at its peak, which I thought was interesting, but doesnt need to mean anything as it isnt a consistent observation in Rosbergs career (2013 in comparison to 2014-16 for instance although the circumstances were mentioned)

Also you just confirmed what I wrote, namely that gaps tend to be bigger in an worse car :D

Concerning 2017, I may remember wrong but I thought that I had mentally archived ROS as 'the fader' during his Williams years. Good qualifier that sort of went backwards in the races, pace wise. Of course, he is a different driver today so he might have solved that particular issue (or, it might ~look~ as if it is solved due to the current generation of cars being 'easier' to drive; 'easier' as in 'drive to delta well below what car is capable of').

We'll see. In about 12 months :D.

This is a good point, though I'm not sure if it was just down to Rosbergs own pace that he went backwards. But generally it is over the course of his career obvious that his team mates were closer on race trim than quali, regardless of which era.

Edited by Marklar, 12 September 2016 - 14:49.

#50 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,478 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 16:02

Which driver on the current grid could beat Hamilton on a regular basis in the same car straight up?