F1 2019 - Now with F2 and Senna vs Prost: Legends Edition

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:22

Seeing as details are starting to emerge about F1 2019 I thought we should have a thread about it.

https://www.autospor...in-f1-2019-game

So three interesting new features for this year's edition.

The inclusion of F2 is sure to add something to the early career mode. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that it'll be the 2018 season. That's probably good for the career mode as it'll have a more realistic progression but it does seem a shame that it'll be a bit out of date.

The classic car roster is being expanded further with the rest of the 2010 winning cars being added to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Codemasters' series. Perhaps we'll get some sort of 2010 challenge mode?

https://www.youtube....h?v=ADzXRyDY5u8

Then there's the Prost vs. Senna stuff, with their 1990 cars included, as well as their likenesses. That's particularly good for me as I felt the lack of classic drivers in the recent games to go with all the classic cars was a step back from F1 2013. I suspect their rivalry mode will start with the MP4/4 which is already part of the series car lineup.

So put me down as interested, and it looks like the game will feature enough new content (including that this year's silly season produced many changes in the entry list) to consider buying.

Advertisement

#2 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,816 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:17

Well. the 2019 F2 gang will be added later in the year via a patch. There might be a very good reason why we go the F2 2018 gang as it might be our starting point for this years F1 mode

#3 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:09

Interesting - although with any annual sports game, I always feel they are a bit of a waste of time, since next year's edition will always have something extra. What's the point of paying £60 or whatever, when you won't play it once the new game comes out? Let me guess, F1 2020 will feature F3 as well, and in career mode you'll have to start in one of the lower categories and work your way up? You read it here first.  ;)

To my mind, Codemasters needs to do something a bit different to avoid making the games just feeling essentially the same. A story mode in the career, or the ability to start your own team and sign sponsors and a team mate like we saw in Race Driver GRID, or something. F1 games in recent years have been heavy on content, but just lacking in...something to make it feel more immersive imo.

#4 pRy

pRy

• 26,223 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 17:40

The gameplay footage is looking pretty impressive. The split screen from 2018 / 2019 in particular. At first I thought the footage on the right was taken from TV.

Edited by pRy, 08 May 2019 - 17:41.

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 18:28

To my mind, Codemasters needs to do something a bit different to avoid making the games just feeling essentially the same. A story mode in the career, or the ability to start your own team and sign sponsors and a team mate like we saw in Race Driver GRID, or something. F1 games in recent years have been heavy on content, but just lacking in...something to make it feel more immersive imo.

It was mentioned that F1 2019 will have a story mode

#6 balage06

balage06

• 3,107 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 19:28

I was pretty disappointed when I read the career mode won't feature full F2 seasons, there will be only three so-called "events" before the player's debut in F1, doing the full F2 calendar will only be possible by creating a custom championship. I get it, 99% of the player base would probably skip the junior categories if they had the chance, but man, what a missed opportunity!

#7 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 21:14

I was pretty disappointed when I read the career mode won't feature full F2 seasons, there will be only three so-called "events" before the player's debut in F1, doing the full F2 calendar will only be possible by creating a custom championship. I get it, 99% of the player base would probably skip the junior categories if they had the chance, but man, what a missed opportunity!

That's pretty disappointing for me as well, they are crazy to not throw that in.

#8 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 15:05

It was mentioned that F1 2019 will have a story mode

Hopefully something beyond the bare bones of "media asking you questions", and repeated scenes from that manager woman.

I'm probably alone in this, but even something like the Toca Race Driver 2 story would be nice to see, just to make it a bit different. Otherwise you're just turning up to the same tracks, doing the same thing, and not really getting anything from it - at least imo.

I know the trend for racing games in recent years has been more down the simulation/realism route rather than anything more creative. But you look at what EA Sports have down for the Fifa franchise, and it's strange we've not seen something similar for an F1 game.

#9 pRy

pRy

• 26,223 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:13

I still wait with hope that one day you'll be able to fire up one of the F1 titles and take part in an actual race that's happening in the real world. They could place the cars on the track based on live GPS data with a bit of AI compensating where required. Imagine storming around Monaco and actually winning a race knowing all the other AI cars were being plotted by actual F1 drivers in an actual race. I'm sure there is some huge flaw to my idea that I've not thought of.

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 18:48

I still wait with hope that one day you'll be able to fire up one of the F1 titles and take part in an actual race that's happening in the real world. They could place the cars on the track based on live GPS data with a bit of AI compensating where required. Imagine storming around Monaco and actually winning a race knowing all the other AI cars were being plotted by actual F1 drivers in an actual race. I'm sure there is some huge flaw to my idea that I've not thought of.

I think Formula E are working on precisely that for the E-sports series.

#11 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 23:30

Really? how daft. So career mode isn't going to be that expanded after all. 

#12 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 16:21

Really? how daft. So career mode isn't going to be that expanded after all. 

Since I only play career mode and never online, this alone is a reason for me to pass this year.   I really don't see it offering anything new that's worth the £40 price.

I'll wait for a deep sale by xmas or next year.

#13 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 16:38

Can’t wait for F2. I’m not bothered about not having a full season in career mode personally - you can create a full season in single race, only difference I guess is that you don’t get any of the extra stuff in career - cut scenes, press interviews? I can live with that.

#14 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 17:28

I'd imagine the average player would be a bit frustrated at having just bought his new Formula 1 game and then being forced to play a whole season of Formula 2 just to get his career going. I'm with messy on this one. The hardcore player can always play a custom F2 season to fully immerse themselves.

I've decided to pre-order on the basis that:

1. The silly season has created a vastly different grid this year, so playing 2018 already feels particularly old.

2. Any F2 content is basically a bonus.

3. The Prost/Senna stuff is also a bonus, as are the 2010 cars.

4. I can afford it and I don't buy many games.

5. You'd struggle to get a single new 1/43 scale model F1 car for the price of the full game.

Your mileage may vary.

#15 pRy

pRy

• 26,223 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 18:07

2010 vs 2019 comparison.

Frame rate looks concerning to me. I've seen it in other videos too. 

#16 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 22:49

I'm going out on a limb here but I prefer the 2010 one.  No halo + way better sound is nicer to me than pretty graphics.  (but then this is someone who is still happy to play 32-38 year old ZX Spectrum & C64 games to this day)

Have fun though guys, I truly hope you have a ton of fun with it. (and I'm sure you will)

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 17:47

Well there are 2010 cars (and older) in F1 2019 for those who prefer old cars.

#18 pRy

pRy

• 26,223 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 15:59

Lando Norris is currently streaming it:

https://www.twitch.tv/landonorris

If he's not live when you click the link, go to "Videos" and "Past Broadcasts". 

#19 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:01

Just read that drivers can change teams at the end of each season. That's sounds more like it. I may be interested in this game now.

Advertisement

#20 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:24

Just read that drivers can change teams at the end of each season. That's sounds more like it. I may be interested in this game now.

Finally, that's taken too bloody long. apparantly it'll also include f2 now so yey!!!

#21 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:31

That would certainly add to the career mode.

#22 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 13:35

okay you sparked my interest now, is this actually confirmed as I know for a fact when asked about it some time ago they said it was not possible for the drivers to move teams because of the licence agreement.

So I'm interested but wary.. I'm not going to fall for another bait and switch by Codies, I'll wait for you guys to get it and tell us for sure.  :p

#23 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 14:13

okay you sparked my interest now, is this actually confirmed as I know for a fact when asked about it some time ago they said it was not possible for the drivers to move teams because of the licence agreement.

So I'm interested but wary.. I'm not going to fall for another bait and switch by Codies, I'll wait for you guys to get it and tell us for sure.  :p

https://www.autospor...river-transfers

#24 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 22 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 15:38

I usually preorder codies F1 titles but this time i'm holding off.  No VR and the custom liveries don't go far enough for me.  

#25 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 19:24

I hope they dont overdo it though, that it becomes less realistic instead of more. I have seen a screenshot of an in season switch between Vettel and Bottas..

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 19:55

It should mean that everyone's career game is now going to be different after a few seasons, and that's no bad thing.

#27 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 23:41

You folks who bought this, if you're playing career mode I'd be very interested to know of any drivers swaps that happen in your career. 

#28 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:36

A small detail added to this game that hasn’t been well publicised: when you set up your driver and choose your race number, you have the option of adopting the No.1 if you’re entitled to use it as a champion in career and league modes.

#29 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 13:08

You folks who bought this, if you're playing career mode I'd be very interested to know of any drivers swaps that happen in your career.

On a review site I read at some point Max joined Renault (...) and Lewis took his place at Red Bull. I just hope swaps dont happen to often just like in real life.

#30 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 13:11

On a review site I read at some point Max joined Renault (...) and Lewis took his place at Red Bull. I just hope swaps dont happen to often just like in real life.

I think that's actually cool and should have been added some time ago.   I've raced several 10 year career seasons and something like this would mix it up a bit and stop it being so ..samey.. when you're like 5-6 seasons in.

I will admit to swaying a little on F1 2019, I'm still not totally convinced and also the £54 price point (PSN) is very offputting but I think I'll grab it in a sale sometime.

#31 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 14:33

It's the F2 I'm looking forward to, to be honest. An entirely new dimension. Far more entertaining than re-enacting this dreadful farce of an F1 season. 

Hope F3 is added via DLC (it's been hinted!)

#32 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 15:45

So far I've only played the F2 scenarios that introduce the career mode, and I must say the inclusion of F2 is a very strong point. Granted I don't see myself playing them all that much, but they're a challenging car to drive and it's a whole other dimension to the game. Having 2 whole F2 seasons included in the basic price (2019 will be a free update) is a worthy inclusion. I chose the Mercedes driver academy so at the end of the F2 section Racing Point offered me the best deal, so I'll do my first season with them.

Having the drivers switching teams promises to make things more interesting. I did almost 3 seasons of 2018 career mode because by the time I reached Abu Dhabi in season 3 I was bored of the exact same thing every time. I did one seasons with Williams to build up, one with Ferrari to win both championships, and then one with Renault to try to bring a midfield team to the front, which I did and by Italy we were the top team but with too much of a points deficit to win the championship. I left it at Brazil because Interlagos is fun and Yas Marina is boring.

I did try a couple of Senna/Prost rival challenges, but they're not worth the asking price apart from getting to drive a classic car with an authentic driver in it. It's the same time attack, overtake, etc challenges as the rest of the classic cars, only you choose Alain or Ayrton and the other is the car you need to beat to win. Shame.

Other than that I'm looking forward to continuing the game. I won't be smashing it out, but I'll play regularly and will definitely play until I've won the championship. I always adjust the difficulty as I go so that I'm beating my teammate when I'm on good form and losing to him if I'm not.

#33 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 19:04

I think that's actually cool and should have been added some time ago. I've raced several 10 year career seasons and something like this would mix it up a bit and stop it being so ..samey.. when you're like 5-6 seasons in.

I will admit to swaying a little on F1 2019, I'm still not totally convinced and also the £54 price point (PSN) is very offputting but I think I'll grab it in a sale sometime.

It's cool but I am a bit of a realism freak so I like it when things stay somewhat realistic. But then again I never played multiple seasons before so I can imagine it gets boring after a while. Just hope they found the right middleground.

As for the price for PC you can get a digital copy for less than 30€.

Edited by Kao18, 27 June 2019 - 19:04.

#34 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 19:07

Downloading on XB One X now. I’m sold. Oddly, hardly played F1 2018 even though I knew it was good.

Managed to convince my wife it was a late birthday present so I don’t even feel that bad.

#35 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 21:11

I'd imagine the average player would be a bit frustrated at having just bought his new Formula 1 game and then being forced to play a whole season of Formula 2 just to get his career going. I'm with messy on this one. The hardcore player can always play a custom F2 season to fully immerse themselves.

Didn't seem to hamper the EA - NASCAR games at all, even though you had to start in Whelen there, and get through that, Trucks, NationBusch until you got to the Cup! Also, if it's to long for some, do it like MotoGP 19. You can choose if you want to start in Red Bull MotoGP Rookies, Moto3, Moto2 or MotoGP.

Edited by Myrvold, 27 June 2019 - 21:12.

#36 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:54

Had a quick go this morning, with the F2. Had literally ten minutes but was impressed with how challenging the car was even with some assists on. Easy to lock up, feels a bit 'vague' going into the corners so need to get it turned in quite accurately or it totally bypasses the apex, nice to not just be able to qualify first on your second lap. Did a full on Raghunathan and qualified last and way off the pace. Slightly worryingly maybe, I found it quite easy to pick up positions on the first lap despite that so maybe difficulty needs tweaking? Dunno, too early to say. With the full F2 and the classic cars I really doubt I'm going to spend much of my time on the core F1 gameplay to be honest. 

#37 balage06

balage06

• 3,107 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:49

Hope F3 is added via DLC (it's been hinted!)

Where? :eek:  It would be amazing!

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Codies nailed the F2 car. It behaves exactly as you would expect: the steering is heavier because of the lack of power steering, you have to be really cautious on the brakes, the fronts lock extremely easily (I got a puncture right away in my first practice session, because I used the F1 brake distances and killed my front tyres). And the whole car feels pretty "basic" compared to the big brother. And you can actually feel as the grip slowly goes away during a longer stint, so hats off to them!

#38 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 14:29

Well.. here's me saying I'll hold of until next year or wait for a sale and an hour ago my wife came home, smiled at me then gave me a kiss and handed me a bag.

She bought me the game.   What can you do huh?  best wife ever. :love:

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 14:48

Another little detail over last year, sometimes the F1 drivers compete in the historic events between Grands Prix.

Advertisement

#40 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 22:14

Just created a driver for the career mode, I've made a female driver just for the heck of it.  (why not!)

Done the three F2 events, they were fun and it's a shame you can't do a full F2 career in uhmm career mode.

Have joined Williams as Russells teammate (I like starting at the bottom and working my way up) (The only downer so far is that the AI doesn't seem to be improved at the starts.  only done one race but really it's a little silly when my Williams passes five cars in the first three corners as the AI drivers are still very timid at the start)

Edited by BuddyHolly, 28 June 2019 - 23:10.

#41 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:00

Yeah the AI settle into it after half a lap but over the first few corners it's way too easy to make up positions. Seems more so than 18.

And that......is pretty much the only criticism I’ve got of this game so far, actually.

They’ve pretty much nailed it. The F2 is as expected the bit that’s taking up my time. Had so much fun in the Bahrain opener, struggled in qualifying but used the alternative strategy, ran long on mediums and into the lead, kept my head down and banged in the laps to finish sixth. It felt great because it’s exactly what I’ve seen drivers do in real life when they’re out of position. The sprint race went wrong because I was too aggressive early on and couldn’t make my tyres last the distance.

#42 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:04

Oh, one other thing - I still think some of the classic car models are slightly basic when compared to the modern ones. Dunno, just less detail, less visually pleasing, can’t explain it. Thought the same in 18.

Looking forward to the 2019 F2 already. The F3 hints were mainly on their forum I think and I don’t think there was any official line on it.

#43 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:31

After starting career and ending in Bahrain my evaluation so far is that F2 cars drive like bricks comparatively speaking, your rivals kinda feel like you're racing Ticktum and Schumacher and I'm still waiting for a feature to whine at my engineer over the radio...I was considering going through the Merc driver academy to race with Merc just so I could bitch at the race engineer about the tires  :rotfl:

Update:

OMG, they coded actual race stewards into the game!!! Wet race in canada, got tapped and spun across the first corner ending up facing the wrong way on the other side...I got a 5 second penalty for corner cutting  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 29 June 2019 - 12:23.

#44 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 14:51

I really like the handling, even though I'm still spinning out here and there. I'm using the G29, the steering feels on the heavy side (especially the F2 cars) which I prefer in racing games. I’m no wheel expert but with heavier steering, it feels like there is more range with the FFB effects, making it easier for me to get a good rhythm.

I play GTS most of the time, so it's the only other racing game I can really compare to it. The steering in GTS feels super light in the group categories compared to F1. It makes some cars a little unpredictable imo.

#45 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 15:38

Ummm...Ummmm...so I had my first in season transfer happen...not the most realistic one...Verstappen to Haas and Magnusson to Red Bull...What the actual ****?!!!!

#46 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 16:15

Verstappen was obviously poached by Rich Energy.

More relevantly, how far through the game are you?

#47 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 16:59

I really like the handling, even though I'm still spinning out here and there. I'm using the G29, the steering feels on the heavy side (especially the F2 cars) which I prefer in racing games. I’m no wheel expert but with heavier steering, it feels like there is more range with the FFB effects, making it easier for me to get a good rhythm.
I play GTS most of the time, so it's the only other racing game I can really compare to it. The steering in GTS feels super light in the group categories compared to F1. It makes some cars a little unpredictable imo.

The Super Formula car in GTS is so, so, so different to the F2 car in this....which is interesting given they’re such close cousins in real life. I’d guess this is more accurate though. I like it a lot. Honestly, virtually all my time in this game so far has been in F2. I have no real idea how the F1 cars feel. I’m not that bothered at the moment. I’ve enjoyed F2 more than F1 for so, so long and this game covers it every bit as comprehensively as it does F1 - with a second season about to be added.

This is F2 2019 for me and all the better for it.

Edited by messy, 29 June 2019 - 17:02.

#48 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 18:58

I really like the multiplayer car, it feels better than the Mercedes. Wish we had a real livery editor though.

In previous games I only did career mode, this time I want to get into ranked multiplayer though. ERS and engine modes seem more important this time around, that is something I have not bothered to really master yet.

Seems essential if you want to be any good in ranked races.

Edited by MikeV1987, 29 June 2019 - 19:03.

#49 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 22:09

Ummm...Ummmm...so I had my first in season transfer happen...not the most realistic one...Verstappen to Haas and Magnusson to Red Bull...What the actual ****?!!!!

How far in the season were you when that happened?

I've been playing a bit today but I'm going to restart again tomorrow as I'm finding the starts a joke, in China I went from 18th to 11th on lap one  ..in a Williams. I set the AI level to 70 as I was a little timid because its new, but I guess that's too low, so going to start my season again and try it at 80 or 85.

one thing did cheese me off somewhat, I was looking through all the tabs/menus and found a load of microtransaction crap.   Considering what they charge for the base game, I think it's rather damn greedy to want people to drop extra money on helmets and outfits.   greedy buggers. 

My early impressions after three races in career mode

Pros

General AI seems improved (not at starts!)

Graphics are nice

F2 cars are fun to drive (wish I could have done a full season with my career driver though)

Cons

Start AI still laughable (Codies, for heavens sake go throw a load of money at Geoff Crammond and ask for his help please!!)

Don't think much of the silly rival driver cut scenes in career mode.  very cringeworthy at best

Microtransactions are scummy

Not much of an upgrade from 2018 tbh

Edited by BuddyHolly, 29 June 2019 - 22:11.

#50 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 22:30

one thing did cheese me off somewhat, I was looking through all the tabs/menus and found a load of microtransaction crap.   Considering what they charge for the base game, I think it's rather damn greedy to want people to drop extra money on helmets and outfits.   greedy buggers. 

Are you sure you're not just looking at the credits you earn while playing multiplayer? That's not scummy crap. That's just rewarding play.

Edit: Oh no I see what you mean. The seven or so premium helmets, liveries, etc. Well, you know, you don't have to pay for them.