Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

2023 FiA WEC (World Endurance Championship)

• Please log in to reply
2388 replies to this topic

#1 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 11:41

I was expecting a combined WEC/ IMSA thread, but there seems to be a separate thread for that.

https://www.fiawec.c...-announced/7450

The start of a modern 'golden era', and featuring the 100th anniversary of Le Mans 24 Hours......and a trip to Sebring. One wonders of we'll be going there in 2024 after Qatar signed a 6 year deal for a race from 2024.

Advertisement

#2 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 11:43

I was expecting a combined WEC/ IMSA thread, but there seems to be a separate thread for that.

https://www.fiawec.c...-announced/7450

The start of a modern 'golden era', and featuring the 100th anniversary of Le Mans 24 Hours......and a trip to Sebring. One wonders of we'll be going there in 2024 after Qatar signed a 6 year deal for a race from 2024.

Sebring Still “In the Plan” for 2024 Despite Qatar Opener – Sportscar365

#3 Teleriel

Teleriel

• 84 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:08

I'm in two minds about a Qatar round; it's not my favourite circuit or place but more WEC is better WEC too and if it means extra races..??  :confused:

#4 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:52

My camping group had their pitches confirmed, race tickets set since November, if anyone else is going to Le Mans for the centenary edition - SEE YOU THERE!  :clap:

#5 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,109 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 13:17

My camping group had their pitches confirmed, race tickets set since November, if anyone else is going to Le Mans for the centenary edition - SEE YOU THERE! :clap:

I’m looking to camp next year (only been once before in 2007), any advice of where to go for? There’s four of us and we are new to the camping side of Le Mans!

Edited by Silverstone96, 13 December 2022 - 15:41.

#6 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,773 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 13:33

Just how much Qatar bribed WEC? Amidst the ongoing Qatar corruption scandal at the European Parliament, the timing for announcing Qatar round is quite...conspicuous.

#7 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,565 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 13:52

I’m looking to camp next year (only been once before I’m 2007), any advice of where to go for? There’s four of us and we are new to the camping side of Le Mans!

Are there even any spots left? I was lucky enough to buy camping spot 15 mins after they opened sales, but I thought they sold out within 4 or 6 hours?

#8 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 13:57

Qatar? As if watching 6 (or 8 now) hours of Bahrain wasn't painful enough already. Who doesn't love to watch racing in a flat featureless void. 

#9 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 13:59

I’m looking to camp next year (only been once before I’m 2007), any advice of where to go for? There’s four of us and we are new to the camping side of Le Mans!

Sadly the campsite ticket rollout has been a complete farce, even long-time attendants and trusted agencies have had allocations reduced or moved to other campsites, a couple of the biggest campsites in previous years seem to have been closed/converted to parking spaces for next year. Right now the only campsite you're likely to still find tickets for is Beausejour. I camped with the group I'm with in 2014, '17 and '18, so I knew they were to be trusted for this year, but even they got a reduced allocation when agencies finally got their alloted tickets.

#10 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,109 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 15:55

In the words of captain darling…bugger!

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 17:12

OOHH !!!

Excelent.

I haven't been interested in Sports Cars like this since the 70/71 season

Been waiting for this one now we have an IMSA thread and a WEC thread for this year.

Thanks Arnage !!

So much to absorb building up to the first races.

Anyone going to Sebring?

Yeah I was begging for a combined schedule so Peat and the boys posted this

https://forums.autos...023/?p=10084707

Good to keep handy I guess.

But the IMSA thread is here.

https://forums.autos...23-imsa-thread/

Sadly the campsite ticket rollout has been a complete farce, even long-time attendants and trusted agencies have had allocations reduced or moved to other campsites, a couple of the biggest campsites in previous years seem to have been closed/converted to parking spaces for next year. Right now the only campsite you're likely to still find tickets for is Beausejour. I camped with the group I'm with in 2014, '17 and '18, so I knew they were to be trusted for this year, but even they got a reduced allocation when agencies finally got their alloted tickets.

Hey Victor.

Haven't seen my work schedule yet but if I can make it over and get a ticket maybe you can host me like I did you at the 500 back a few years ago?

I can bring my own tent or sleaping bag if I do get over to the race.

Going to be an interesting year and my focus is squarely on the two series in 2023.

Jp

#12 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 17:48

Hey Victor.

Haven't seen my work schedule yet but if I can make it over and get a ticket maybe you can host me like I did you at the 500 back a few years ago?

I can bring my own tent or sleaping bag if I do get over to the race.

Going to be an interesting year and my focus is squarely on the two series in 2023.

Jp

I've sent an email to my group's organizer to check. Will continue this over PM. :)

#13 68targa

68targa

• 1,128 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 19:35

Will there ever be another WEC round in the UK I wonder. Seems to be priced out of the market now which is a pity.  I know Silverstone is flat and somewhat featureless but it offers the option of rain, is not surrounded by sand and as far as I am aware does not have dubious human rights issues - and besides it's only a 30 min drive from my home !

#14 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,109 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 20:18

Will there ever be another WEC round in the UK I wonder. Seems to be priced out of the market now which is a pity. I know Silverstone is flat and somewhat featureless but it offers the option of rain, is not surrounded by sand and as far as I am aware does not have dubious human rights issues - and besides it's only a 30 min drive from my home !

From what I have gathered on DSC and other sources it seems WEC have been keen to do deal with Silverstone but the track is only prepared to pay a nominal hosting fee.

Seems they are still trying to work it out for 2024 but the message seems to be don’t hold your breath on it actually happening.

#15 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 20:30

From what I have gathered on DSC and other sources it seems WEC have been keen to do deal with Silverstone but the track is only prepared to pay a nominal hosting fee.

Seems they are still trying to work it out for 2024 but the message seems to be don’t hold your breath on it actually happening.

Ah, the spirit of Scrooge is alive and well at Silverstone.......but they'll pay over the odds for F1...... :stoned:

#16 68targa

68targa

• 1,128 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 20:48

Well that's interesting.  I would like to think they can put something together but I understand why they must watch the  £/$.  Never attracted the spectators in large numbers but with the new 'golden era' coming on stream I feel they would attract a much better attendance.    The Porsche 956/Jaguar era were very well attended at Brands and Silverstone. 

#17 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 21:43

Well that's interesting.  I would like to think they can put something together but I understand why they must watch the  £/$.  Never attracted the spectators in large numbers but with the new 'golden era' coming on stream I feel they would attract a much better attendance.    The Porsche 956/Jaguar era were very well attended at Brands and Silverstone. 

Just wait if the 499P is competitive.

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 22:15

I’m 20 minutes from Brands so 1000km revival baby !!!
Jp

#19 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,109 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 22:24

That’s the thing, many like myself have been priced out of f1 at Silverstone but I think there’s still a market for another big event like WEC, as you say it’s now about to enter a new, possibly golden era we hope so that would surely attract a lot of those who can’t make the Grand Prix as well as sportscar/motorsport fans.

Advertisement

#20 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 09:07

That’s the thing, many like myself have been priced out of f1 at Silverstone but I think there’s still a market for another big event like WEC, as you say it’s now about to enter a new, possibly golden era we hope so that would surely attract a lot of those who can’t make the Grand Prix as well as sportscar/motorsport fans.

You would think there is a market for it; especially now with this new era we are in. How many go over for Le Mans? If 40-50% turned up at Silverstone it would be a decent crowd. But here's the issue - it's not a series that is promoted well; far too much reliance on one event in June. 

#21 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,745 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 11:23

Action Express to Le Mans:

https://www.dailyspo...s-24-hours.html

So we're looking at 3 Cadillacs in total: Action Express, the additonal expected CGR #1 and the regular WEC CGR entry.

Edited by EightGear, 14 December 2022 - 11:24.

#22 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 11:52

Qatar? As if watching 6 (or 8 now) hours of Bahrain wasn't painful enough already. Who doesn't love to watch racing in a flat featureless void. 

Not forgetting it's a flat featureless void that also has about one man and his dog in attendance as the only spectators.  :lol:

So glad that the WEC is returning to health after five years of general 'meh'-ness (yes, I know there's more than the top class to focus on, but I'm not that interested in LMP2 in its current guise, and GTE has been dying a slow death too), but the calendar and race distances still need some work for it to be on the same level as IMSA, imo.  

#23 DN5

DN5

• 463 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 15:36

Will there ever be another WEC round in the UK I wonder. Seems to be priced out of the market now which is a pity.  I know Silverstone is flat and somewhat featureless but it offers the option of rain, is not surrounded by sand and as far as I am aware does not have dubious human rights issues - and besides it's only a 30 min drive from my home !

I too wonder about another round in the UK - the B word was also a factor.

On A week in Sports car podcast recently it was suggested that there might be revolving calendar for some of the European races and the UK might feature in the rotation.

#24 red stick

red stick

• 13,996 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 16:41

Neb Haylen news!

https://www.motorspo...ement/10411611/

#25 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,790 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 21:05

I'm happy for Egg Henlay

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 01:19

WC Handyman
Jp

#27 messy

messy

• 7,438 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 18:06

For me the WEC absolutely peaked in 2016, it was incredible that year. That 2014-16 era was good, not sure people realised how good until it was too late. Ever since then I’ve been waiting for it to kick back into life and on paper, with all these Hypercar entries, 2023 looks a decent bet. Last season it was nice to see the Peugeot and everything, but Toyota were pretty much out on their own and seeing quite outdated machinery like the Alpine BOP’d to compete with them didn’t quite sit right.

#28 Cornholio

Cornholio

• 894 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 20:00

For me the WEC absolutely peaked in 2016, it was incredible that year. That 2014-16 era was good, not sure people realised how good until it was too late. Ever since then I’ve been waiting for it to kick back into life and on paper, with all these Hypercar entries, 2023 looks a decent bet. Last season it was nice to see the Peugeot and everything, but Toyota were pretty much out on their own and seeing quite outdated machinery like the Alpine BOP’d to compete with them didn’t quite sit right.

Agreed on the bolded bit, although I have to say I did definitely appreciate it at the time and hoped it could keep going. The one thing I realise with hindsight is that the middle of those years, 2015, was the sliding doors moment. Nissan had arrived as a 4th LMP1 manufacturer with a very different concept, Hulkenberg winning Le Mans had given a bit of a publicity boost in the wider motorsport world, and LMP2 was looking to be in rude health (including new cars coming on stream) after the 2014 (WEC) field had been a bit sparse.

Had the Nissan worked (not necessarily in terms of winning or even being better than 4th out of 4 in year 1, just competitive with the others), they might have stayed AND it could have encouraged other manufacturers in the ruleset which in turn could have helped shield against the (in hindsight inevitable) VAG situation. And had they not made the decision that year to kill off an increasingly healthy and interesting LMP2 in favour of Formula ORECA for 2017 there would at least have been a low cost open-regulations alternative as back-up.

#29 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 20:46

Had the Nissan worked (not necessarily in terms of winning or even being better than 4th out of 4 in year 1, just competitive with the others), they might have stayed AND it could have encouraged other manufacturers in the ruleset which in turn could have helped shield against the (in hindsight inevitable) VAG situation. And had they not made the decision that year to kill off an increasingly healthy and interesting LMP2 in favour of Formula ORECA for 2017 there would at least have been a low cost open-regulations alternative as back-up.

This still irritates me, even now. Even by the rich standards of motorsport, destroying the variety that existed in the class in favour of only having four chassis available, of which there's only one that teams actually want to use, has to be one of the most maddening and baffling decisions that has ever been made.

#30 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 21:56

Porsche Confirms IMSA, WEC Factory LMDh Lineups – Sportscar365

#31 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 11:13

I too wonder about another round in the UK - the B word was also a factor.

On A week in Sports car podcast recently it was suggested that there might be revolving calendar for some of the European races and the UK might feature in the rotation.

The 'B' word keeps coming up, but is it actually true? I've seen/heard both arguments....doesn't stop a lot of other sports coming over here.

The UK will get a round when Silverstone hands over the cash - until now they won't.

#32 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,790 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 19:31

News on Isotta-Fraschini: DailySportsCar talks to managing director Claudio Berro.

What is correct is that the car has been designed, and is being built, with an impressive array of industry talent, Michelotto to the fore, the current build of the first race car (the previous build seen by others was a mock-up) and of a parallel road car ‘Tipo C’ is underway at a dedicated facility at Michelotto with “all parts now with us at the factory”.

Williams Advanced Engineering did indeed develop the aero solution and is still very actively engaged in the project as it progresses to wind tunnel proving (which will take place at Sauber at the end of February – after the planned first shakedown tests for the car).

One significant change from prior information is the origin of the Internal combustion engine, the 3-litre V6 is not a VAG-based unit but rather a bespoke engine whose intellectual property is held by Isotta Fraschini but built and developed between Michelotto and HWA. A test engine has already been dyno-tested for over 50 hours.

XTrac is another key project partner with responsibility for the main gearbox and the component integrating the front-drive hybrid system. The system also uses a William battery pack and some Bosch electronics. Whilst there are some common components, this is not the LMDH single unit.

The chassis and the bodywork are supplied by the industry-leading ARS Technologies, the same organisation that, under a prior name, worked with Sr. Berro on the chassis for the Maserati MC12 for instance as well as the Lotus T125 single seater – they also supplied the highly praised chassis for the Ginetta G60 LMP1 amongst others.

The first chassis has been delivered to Isotta with the next pair for delivery in January and February, one bound for crash testing, one for the first race car and the third for the first road car.

The bodywork is in the final stages of definition with Williams Advanced Engineering and will arrive at Michelotto by the end of January. From there the car will test on a four-wheel-drive rolling road before the first straight-line testing the following month.

Isotta-Fraschini-HyperCar-Front-552x690.

Isotta-Fraschini-HyperCar-Rear-690x460.j

#33 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,230 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 21:26

Reminds me superficially of the HPD LMp2 that did about two races before the rules changed.

#34 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,790 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 22:37

Reminds me superficially of the HPD LMp2 that did about two races before the rules changed.

Indeed it looks a bit like it

HPD_ESM.jpg

#35 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:32

NASCAR ?!?!?!

Jp

#36 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:42

NASCAR ?!?!?!

Jp

Hendrick!  :D  :up:

Hendrick-built Garage 56 Le Mans entry hits track in VIR test (motorsport.com)

#37 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 13:11

Newsletter from the ACO today, the race weekend itself for Le Mans in June is SOLD OUT already.  :eek:

#38 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,230 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 06:36

Wowzers.

I didn’t get my **** together this year but will be sure to book early for 2024.

That is mental, and I don’t think I have ever heard of that happening before?

Edited by TennisUK, 22 December 2022 - 06:36.

#39 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,022 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 08:18

Wowzers.

I didn’t get my **** together this year but will be sure to book early for 2024.

Pierre Fillon said that the level of sales in december was about the same as in the end of may in terms of figure.

I also think that French government did set a limit in order to avoid another mess in the same token as UCL final of this year as Paris 2024 is looming.

Advertisement

#40 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 09:46

Wowzers.

We used to just rock up and buy tickets from the ACO office in Alencon on the Saturday morning.  

I think they have limited numbers since then - maybe due to Covid? - although the last time I went (2013 or 14?) it felt as busy as ever.

#41 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 09:49

We used to just rock up and buy tickets from the ACO office in Alencon on the Saturday morning.  

I think they have limited numbers since then - maybe due to Covid? - although the last time I went (2013 or 14?) it felt as busy as ever.

Last year's race was back to a "full" crowd, the only limited crowd race was 2021 with a 50k limit.

Pierre Fillon said that the level of sales in december was about the same as in the end of may in terms of figure.

I also think that French government did set a limit in order to avoid another mess in the same token as UCL final of this year as Paris 2024 is looming.

IIRC the grandstands for the race weekend sold out in about 3 weeks since the start of the ACO-members-only sale (a few days before the general one)

#42 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,022 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 12:36

Not Covid but more likely a prefectoral limit for safety reasons.

They did the same for french Gp in 2022 due to the risk of forest fire in Castellet area.

#43 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 15:29

This article seems to suggest that overal capacity may have been reduced:

In an attempt to find space for their Centenary Celebrations and opening ceremony, The ACO (Automobile club de l'ouest) have closed several camp grounds which as not only affected fans but has taken official resellers by surprise.

#44 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 16:45

Trackside capacity itself (as in spectator area inside the "official" track bounds) probably hasn't been reduced (the grandstand count is the same as in 2015-2018, and all the grandstand seats are sold out), but the campsite area reduction is real and has pissed off A LOT of people. My group is part of a more "extended" party that always booked a relatively large number of camping pitches together, but this year they only got 2/3 of what they used to.

#45 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 21:35

To be clear the HPD ARX-04b did one race because it was so much off the pace and was canned after that due to uncompetitiveness.

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 12:24

This seems very ACO, somehow

#47 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,230 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 18:12

To be clear the HPD ARX-04b did one race because it was so much off the pace and was canned after that due to uncompetitiveness.

it also practiced for Pikes Peak - but the engine couldn’t be convinced to work at altitude without exploding, sadly, so it was withdrawn.

#48 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 14:31

Ferrari confirms it's drivers:

Fuoco

Molina

Nielsen

Per Guidi

Calado
Giovanazzi

#49 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 15:24

Prema also confirmed Doriane Pin for LMP2.

#50 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 18:20

Ferrari confirms it's drivers:

Fuoco

Molina

Nielsen

Per Guidi

Calado
Giovanazzi

You know, I expected more out of some of these factory GTP/Hypercar/whatever lineups.

Caveats are 1. That it's good career GT guys are getting callups and 2. These guys are hardly slouches but I dunno. I figured it'd be more like Toyota having Nakajami and Buemi and Kobayashi and really grabbing some names. 

Btw with all these brands out there, and even customer cars, how has no one signed Juan Montoya to go for the Le Mans/Indy/Monaco PR line.