* * * * - 6 votes

Ferrari SF-24 (Technical Thread)

• Please log in to reply
3387 replies to this topic

#1 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,864 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 13:35

Ferrari reveal official name of the 2024 machine is to be the SF-24, carrying on with a recent tradition.

V6 motor start up - https://x.com/scuder...0084137360?s=46

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 06 February 2024 - 15:56.

Advertisement

#2 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,591 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 13:37

Let's go!  :)

#3 vlado

vlado

• 4,065 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 13:59

https://x.com/scuder...zg-bv2n8am2mMAg

#4 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 15:12

Whats-App-Image-2024-01-29-at-16-08-45-f

HAAS renderings are almost always 100% true to original.

Edited by nemanja, 29 January 2024 - 15:13.

#5 vlado

vlado

• 4,065 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 16:17

Safe to assume there will be yellow on the car.. I hope it’s there

#6 vlado

vlado

• 4,065 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 00:17

Stable platform under the yaw is a biggy.

I suppose the actual trick is in the how to make it stable.. we shall see soon enough.

If no one has gotten closer to RB compared to last year, they might as well stop trying to be honest. They all got great photo of the floor, suspensions, all this talk about the “trick” being out of the bag, and not to mention thousands of kilometers track data…

It would be absolutely embarrassing if the RB maintain the same kind of dominance..

#7 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 16:31

Zander Arcari regarding the update schedule of SF-24:
"...temperatures in Sakhir do not offer absolute feedback on the performance of the cars."
"According to what we have learned, Cardile would prefer to delay the production of the updates for a few weeks if the data collected in Bahrain are not those hoped for. A provision that aims to forge new components only when the certainty of having taken the correct path becomes present."

#8 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 16:32

Franco Nugnes:
"The SF-24 was completed in the Gestion Sportiva assembly department and, it seems, that the operation was sublimated by the now usual "fire-up", i.e. the first start-up of the power unit to verify that the assembly has been carried out in a workmanlike manner, checking the seals of the various systems.

Now the red single-seater can be transferred to the dynamic test bench in Maranello where it will have to be instrumented (we are talking about over 15 kg of sensors and wiring) to carry out a series of very important tests which will precede the debut on the track which is set for February 13th Fiorano, for the short 15 kilometer shakedown that the F1 regulations allow the teams."

#9 vlado

vlado

• 4,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 16:45

Exciting times.

#10 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 00:11

https://x.com/Smilex...8903407877?s=20

Who is there? Don't sleep. The 'famous' plan A (Sainz plan B)

He is usually spot on, so...

https://x.com/GiulyD...7076116872?s=20

Now, he also...

https://formu1a.uno/...rrari-dal-2025/

But I must admit that I do not see the logic in this. Really don't.

Edited by nemanja, 01 February 2024 - 00:20.

#11 Chick0

Chick0

• 508 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 01:08

https://x.com/Smilex...8903407877?s=20

Who is there? Don't sleep. The 'famous' plan A (Sainz plan B)

He is usually spot on, so...

https://x.com/GiulyD...7076116872?s=20

Now, he also...

https://formu1a.uno/...rrari-dal-2025/

But I must admit that I do not see the logic in this. Really don't.

No chance. Lewis has a new contract until the end of 2025. No way they are going to announce for 2026 now.   :rotfl:

#12 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,814 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 01:11

It's not making sense, any sense at all.

Edited by ARTGP, 01 February 2024 - 01:13.

#13 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 02:29

I hope that the launch is a lowkey one, whilst last year’s one was great in that it was grand and co-ordinated well, it built our expectations to a high degree but the car was a dud. Let’s hope that this year is the opposite, lowkey launch and approach but a great car.

#14 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,864 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 06:46

Makes zero sense to me, from whatever angle you look at it.

Think it’s BS.

#15 FerrariAce

FerrariAce

• 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 06:55

https://x.com/ferrar...O_tOhjWVgtFLKJQ

🔴 Ferrari: summary of information from @formu1a__uno via live Twitch:

- The front of the car will be very different compared to previous years. Particularly on the design of the fin. This has always been a part of the car that Ferrari has struggled with in recent years. This year, there has been significant work on this part. This too depends on the aerodynamic balance of the car. The objective is to have a good general balance and that this balance allows you to be solid at the front.

- Ferrari should also have a more open engine hood at the rear, in the RB style.

- Sainz's contract = before the presentation of the car, it will be difficult to have an agreement or news on the negotiations. But we are on an evolution, a slow evolution. Sainz would like to continue with Ferrari but the slowdown comes from Ferrari's side. Sainz would be ready to sign a two-year contract but the parties are still distant. They work there.

- In any case, there is a change in driver management with an orientation towards a reference driver like Leclerc. First big difference between the management of Vasseur and that of Binotto.

- The presentation of the SF-24 = the 200 kilometers covered on February 14 will be important to already have a first return from the track. Last year, pilots already knew from shakedown that something was wrong with the SF-23.

- The SF-24 livery = it will not be a classic livery, all that can be said. The pilots' suits have not yet been revealed.

- Pirelli Barcelona tests carried out = Data collection is always useful for the team. Even if the team must follow a specific program from Pirelli. With these cars of this current generation, it's even more important. Especially on a track like Barcelona to check aerodynamic behavior, traction, etc.

#16 oli4

oli4

• 572 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 09:32

It's not making sense, any sense at all.

Exactly, they are supposedly moving toward a clear nr 1 driver with LeClerc so bringing in Hamilton doesn't make sense at all.

#17 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,484 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 09:47

Exactly, they are supposedly moving toward a clear nr 1 driver with LeClerc so bringing in Hamilton doesn't make sense at all.

At the same time, a much weaker number 2 that doesnt take points off rivals...

In an era of RBR and Max, putting everything on 1 driver to try and beat a marginally faster car is rough. But put Lewis and Charles against a single RBR car. Not bad.

#18 carlb5253

carlb5253

• 1,416 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 11:29

Big signal of intent from Ferrari.

Just need Red Bulls strategy team now

#19 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 11:35

Please discuss Hamilton's potential move in in the dedicated thread, or its effect on the Ferrari team in the personnel thread.

Advertisement

#20 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,353 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 22:12

Vigna (today)

"In Formula 1 we have strengthened the technical team and expanded the production area, which is already operational."

https://www.formulap...-al-top-ferrari

Edited by ferrarista, 01 February 2024 - 22:12.

#21 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 22:22

Vigna (today)

"In Formula 1 we have strengthened the technical team and expanded the production area, which is already operational."

https://www.formulap...-al-top-ferrari

At least he isn’t making proclamations about the car being one with unprecedented speed, last season definitely humbled him which is good because it will allow him to see the task at hand for the team to become successful.

#22 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,803 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 13:28

Is the cockpit more rearward and is the car good in the wet?

#23 vlado

vlado

• 4,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 13:31

More yellow on the car apparently.. I’m guessing LeMans inspired livery

Is the cockpit more rearward and is the car good in the wet?

Yes, it’s already specifically build for the prince.

#24 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,591 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 13:47

I2XSY5H.jpeg

Looks like the car will have red wheel covers.

Not sure that I'm a fan of this, but I'll wait to see the whole thing first.

#25 anachronox

anachronox

• 256 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 14:36

Red, Yellow & White Livery??

I2XSY5H.jpeg

#26 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 15:38

https://formu1a.uno/...amica-red-bull/

We can certainly expect something along these lines.

#27 vlado

vlado

• 4,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 16:45

I like the sound of that

#28 ingegnere

ingegnere

• 726 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 17:24

I2XSY5H.jpeg

Doesn’t add anything, just emphasizes how ugly those wheel covers are—so pathetically cheap looking.

Should have left them black and simulated the BBS spokes instead like on the front wheel covers back in the late ‘00s.

#29 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 23:59

- SF-24 suspensions = the kinematics of the suspensions will change a lot, with much more anti-dive effect, more inclined suspension arms. The internal mechanics as well.

#30 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,814 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 00:02

The Haas renders were fake then, as I expected  :lol:

#31 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 07:32

The Haas renders were fake then, as I expected :lol:

Yep, honestly ridiculous.

#32 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 07:48

https://twitter.com/...679602914894004

https://twitter.com/...526846778728633

More recruitments thanks to Lewis.

Edited by ferrarista, 03 February 2024 - 07:49.

#33 brucewayne

brucewayne

• 412 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 08:16

https://twitter.com/...679602914894004

https://twitter.com/...526846778728633

More recruitments thanks to Lewis.

This has a big positive effect, I only can applaud Vasseur for his actions. This team is building something very big. I would not be suprised if this years car is much more competitive against RB then everyone is anticipating.

#34 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 08:36

I will say something crazy, now it remains to convince Newey for 2027, especially if the new RBPT 2026 PU is not very competitive.

I guess his sons will be adult nowadays 😁

Interestingly, Fred a few months ago said it’s important to sign the first top guy as the rest will follow.
It’s actually happening.

Edited by ferrarista, 03 February 2024 - 08:49.

#35 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,816 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 10:54

I will say something crazy, now it remains to convince Newey for 2027, especially if the new RBPT 2026 PU is not very competitive.

Interestingly, Fred a few months ago said it’s important to sign the first top guy as the rest will follow.
It’s actually happening.

Ferrari signing the 2 guys that stopped them winning since 2008.

#36 brucewayne

brucewayne

• 412 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 11:29

It’s actually happening.

I think I saw a tweet about a like from Neweys wife regarding this scenario. Never say never.

#37 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 11:52

I think I saw a tweet about a like from Neweys wife regarding this scenario. Never say never.

Can you find it?

#38 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 12:26

Found them, it doesn’t mean anything, but who knows, we can dream.

https://twitter.com/...060738753511481

https://twitter.com/...111516671594581

#39 dia6olo

dia6olo

• 3,131 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 12:48

This has a big positive effect, I only can applaud Vasseur for his actions. This team is building something very big. I would not be suprised if this years car is much more competitive against RB then everyone is anticipating.

I'm also expecting it to be far more competitive than many think.

As I see it they had a fundamentally quick car right from the off in 2022, ultimately it had it's reliability issues and was later handicapped with TD-39.

Then in 2023 they never really addressed that 2022 handicap, mostly I suspect because of the whole Binotto farce. Even then the car still had raw speed albeit only really on a Saturday, non the less there was raw speed in it.

It has always felt to me like there's a serious car in there and I still think that.

It remains to be seen if they have put the pieces together, however the way they went about experimenting/learning during 2023 instils me with confidence.

My only real concern is that it would appear a good few things are being changed with the car and with F1's fine margins it wouldn't be all that difficult to miss something, get something wrong.

My hope is that they hit the ground running but I'd also settle for a car that starts off fundamentally sound with no obvious flaws, something they can build on and move forward...

Advertisement

#40 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,250 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 12:49

More yellow on the car apparently.. I’m guessing LeMans inspired livery

Yes, it’s already specifically build for the prince.

Everything that happens now will be a result of Hamilton. Everything. 😐

As for the livery, a Le Mans inspired one as tribute to their win would be pretty cool.

#41 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,250 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 12:55

I'm also expecting it to be far more competitive than many think.
As I see it they had a fundamentally quick car right from the off in 2022, ultimately it had it's reliability issues and was later handicapped with TD-39.
Then in 2023 they never really addressed that 2022 handicap, mostly I suspect because of the whole Binotto farce. Even then the car still had raw speed albeit only really on a Saturday, non the less there was raw speed in it.
It has always felt to me like there's a serious car in there and I still think that.
It remains to be seen if they have put the pieces together, however the way they went about experimenting/learning during 2023 instils me with confidence.

My only real concern is that it would appear a good few things are being changed with the car and with F1's fine margins it wouldn't be all that difficult to miss something, get something wrong.

My hope is that they hit the ground running but I'd also settle for a car that starts off fundamentally sound with no obvious flaws, something they can build on and move forward...

You have been a Ferrari supporter long enough to know all the pre season speculation about the car mostly ends up being absolute garbage.

We obviously have to wait and see, but it wouldn't be surprising for the SF-24 to be an evolution on the end season '23 without major changes.

Like you said, the raw speed was there all along. They just need to carry that over into the race. Not easy, for sure, but much easier than finding that raw speed in the first place.

#42 dia6olo

dia6olo

• 3,131 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 14:08

Everything that happens now will be a result of Hamilton. Everything.

As for the livery, a Le Mans inspired one as tribute to their win would be pretty cool.

I would really like to see a decent chunk of yellow on the car, for me personally the red and yellow go really well together.

Regarding the Hamilton move I'm still very conflicted.

The more I think about it the more I see the many many benefits. However the more I also see Leclerc getting screwed over.
While I personally fully expect Leclerc to be the stronger driver, I can't shake a gut feeling that if Hamilton proves to be competitive enough even if not as quick as Leclerc, we will get a repeat of Leclerc/Sainz with Ferrari frequently screwing over the quicker driver.
Personally I see Leclerc as the only current driver on the grid able to challenge Max if given the tools and I don't want to see that taken away from him which I fear might very well happen, that is the part of the deal that really doesn't sit well with me!
Against that argument, since Fred has taken over this seems to be an evolving Ferrari team and evolving for the better so maybe that stupidity isn't going to happen anymore.
On the other hand it's still Ferrari and they have spent big to bring a 7 time world champion in so I wouldn't bet on it not happening either, in fact if I had to put a bet on I'd strongly back a repeat of the Leclerc/Sainz stupidity!

As a Juventus fan I have seen this crap play out with them, they did a similar thing, they spent big bringing in the big man Cristiano Ronaldo, they then bent over backwards to accommodate him at every turn, he would be the first player on the team sheet and it didn't matter how badly he played which he often did, the rest of the team were essentially turned into slaves, they were there to serve Rolando. The day they signed him was the day Juventus's fortunes started to decline and years on they still haven't recovered and are a shadow of the team they were pre-Ronaldo.
Just to be clear, in the Juventus case I am not saying Ronaldo was the direct cause of their decline, he was not, the cause was that indirectly because of the Ronaldo signing the whole team stopped functioning as a team, it created divisions.

I know it's a little different here but that's what can happen...

Edited by dia6olo, 03 February 2024 - 19:24.

#43 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 14:18

As a Juventus fan I have seen it all before, they did a similar thing, they spent big bringing in the big man Cristiano Ronaldo, they then bent over backwards to accommodate him at every turn, he would be the first player on the team sheet and it didn't matter how badly he played which he often did, the rest of the team were essentially turned into slaves, they were there to service Rolando. The day they signed him was the day Juventus's fortunes started to decline and years on they still haven't recovered and are a shadow of the team they were pre-Ronaldo.
Just to be clear, in the Juventus case I am not saying Ronaldo was the direct cause of their decline, he was not, the cause was that indirectly because of the Ronaldo signing the whole team stopped functioning as team, it created divisions.

OT
The problem wasn’t Ronaldo, actually they were on the way of paying Ronaldo’s salary through merchandising, but Covid destroyed everything and Juventus is still recovering from that and are on the correct way.

There, it was bad management, Andrea Agnelli decided to sack Marotta and trust Paratici, the biggest mistake he could do (as we see now with Marotta at Inter).

Connecting to Ferrari, team management with Fred is stepping up compared to the recent seasons, so I don’t see similarities at all.

#44 dia6olo

dia6olo

• 3,131 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 14:20

OT
The problem wasn’t Ronaldo, actually they were on the way of paying Ronaldo’s salary through merchandising, but Covid destroyed everything and Juventus is still recovering from that and are on the correct way.

There, it was bad management, Andrea Agnelli decided to sack Marotta and trust Paratici, the biggest mistake he could do (as we see now with Marotta at Inter).

Connecting to Ferrari, team management with Fred is stepping up compared to the recent seasons, so I don’t see similarities at all.

See above...

"Just to be clear, in the Juventus case I am not saying Ronaldo was the direct cause of their decline,he was not..."

And for the record I predicted Juventus's decline within 3 to 6 months of them signing Ronaldo I made many comments on various YouTube videos saying so.

It was as clear as daylight to me just by seeing what was happening on the pitch.

Edited by dia6olo, 03 February 2024 - 14:28.

#45 vlado

vlado

• 4,065 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 14:25

The more exciting news maybe

Ferrari: we also learned via @formu1a__uno 's live Twitch that the presence of Rory Byrne (consultant) has been felt a little more in Gestione Sportiva lately.

#46 Forghieri

Forghieri

• 690 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 14:39

The more exciting news maybe

Ferrari: we also learned via @formu1a__uno 's live Twitch that the presence of Rory Byrne (consultant) has been felt a little more in Gestione Sportiva lately.

They say this every winter.

#47 Venom

Venom

• 295 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 15:02

They say this every winter.

He’s the Ferrari version of Walt Disney. Stored and immortalised at Maranello, and unfrozen each winter to inspect the following season’s car.

#48 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 15:15

See above...

"Just to be clear, in the Juventus case I am not saying Ronaldo was the direct cause of their decline,he was not..."

And for the record I predicted Juventus's decline within 3 to 6 months of them signing Ronaldo I made many comments on various YouTube videos saying so.
It was as clear as daylight to me just by seeing what was happening on the pitch.

I know you said Ronaldo was not the direct cause of their decline, but I think at the time it was the only way to get to Real and Barca annual revenues and were on the way to achieve that, then Covid happened.

My point is that the failure was due to bad management from Agnelli and to disastrous policy of Paratici.

At Ferrari, I don’t see the same issue, Fred looks to have very clear ideas on what is needed to win.

#49 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,250 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 15:20

I would really like to see a decent chunk of yellow on the car, for me personally the red and yellow go really well together.

The more I think about it the more I see the many many benefits. However the more I also see Leclerc getting screwed over.
While I personally fully expect Leclerc to be the stronger driver, I can't shake a gut feeling that if Hamilton proves to be competitive enough even if not as quick as Leclerc, we will get a repeat of Leclerc/Sainz with Ferrari frequently screwing over the quicker driver.
Personally I see Leclerc as the only current driver on the grid able to challenge Max if given the tools and I don't want to see that taken away from him which I fear might very well happen, that is the part of the deal that really doesn't sit well with me!
Against that argument, since Fred took over this seems to be an evolving Ferrari team and evolving for the better so maybe that stupidity isn't going to happen anymore.
On the other hand it's still Ferrari and they have spent big to bring a 7 time world champion in so I wouldn't back on it not happening either, in fact if I had to put a bet on I'd strongly back on a Leclerc/Sainz repeat!

As a Juventus fan I have seen this crap play out with them, they did a similar thing, they spent big bringing in the big man Cristiano Ronaldo, they then bent over backwards to accommodate him at every turn, he would be the first player on the team sheet and it didn't matter how badly he played which he often did, the rest of the team were essentially turned into slaves, they were there to service Rolando. The day they signed him was the day Juventus's fortunes started to decline and years on they still haven't recovered and are a shadow of the team they were pre-Ronaldo.
Just to be clear, in the Juventus case I am not saying Ronaldo was the direct cause of their decline, he was not, the cause was that indirectly because of the Ronaldo signing the whole team stopped functioning as a team, it created divisions.

I know it's a little different here but that's what can happen...

Yeah, I can absolutely see what you are getting at. There will be interference from above to make sure the expensive new mega star gets the right treatment.

This is a personal deal from Chairman. He won't want egg on his face.

And it's a shame, because Charles has shown many times now that he can take it to Max, and fight him cleanly.

#50 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,814 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 15:34

Against that argument, since Fred took over this seems to be an evolving Ferrari team and evolving for the better so maybe that stupidity isn't going to happen anymore.
On the other hand it's still Ferrari and they have spent big to bring a 7 time world champion in so I wouldn't back on it not happening either, in fact if I had to put a bet on I'd strongly back on a Leclerc/Sainz repeat!

As a Juventus fan I have seen this crap play out with them, they did a similar thing, they spent big bringing in the big man Cristiano Ronaldo, they then bent over backwards to accommodate him at every turn, he would be the first player on the team sheet and it didn't matter how badly he played which he often did, the rest of the team were essentially turned into slaves, they were there to service Rolando. The day they signed him was the day Juventus's fortunes started to decline and years on they still haven't recovered and are a shadow of the team they were pre-Ronaldo.

I understand this point. The media (Italian, British) is going to circle Hamilton at every opportunity and everything about Ferrari will start with Hamilton. Everyone wants to know and write about the 7x WDC and his new team because that's what will bring the readers and viewers in. The Leclerc story doesn't shine as much. All of the press will be about what Ferrari is doing to support or hamper Hamilton. When he is ahead of Leclerc it's fine. When he is behind, it "must be" because Ferrari is hampering him and journalist will speculate wildly that something isn't right. In such a scenario it will be difficult for Leclerc to shine or be praised without someone saying it's only because Ferrari are screwing Hamilton or that the car isn't good because Hamilton isn't fast in it.  This already happened at Mercedes in the last 2 years. 

Edited by ARTGP, 03 February 2024 - 15:36.