* * * * - 5 votes

Future F1 Venues: Rumours & News

• Please log in to reply
4158 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:25

-Hanoi and Miami are very likely in next years calendar, while Buenos Aires is uncertain.
-The track in Hanoi will be 5 km long, while Miami will be 5.2 km (17 turns) and be inspired by the Baku City Circuit. It will pass by the Four Seasons Hotel. Both tracks would be ready by next year. Inspection for the latter track will be next week.
-Buenos Aires will need to make changes to its track to meet the requirements, it’s uncertain how they will finance this and the starting fees.
-The requirement to approve the street circuits have been changed: In the past Hermann Tilke was send out, this has changed under Liberty Media in order to have more variety. They send their own people there and pick the most spectacular layout.
-If the race in Buenos Aires is going to happen they will probably pick track layout 15 (track of the 1974-1981 GP). The FIA requires a update on the safety standards, but also on the track itself: The 180 turn between the two straights would become a combination of multiple turns. This would cost quite a lot.

https://www.auto-mot...019-982545.html

Edited by Marklar, 28 February 2018 - 18:26.

Advertisement

#2 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:29

Miami? Makes me think immediately of IMSA, CART, ALMS and more recently Formula E in various forms in the city.

#3 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:36

giphy.gif

#4 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:39

So which tracks are we going to lose then? Did Spa, Suzuka and Hockenheim extend their contracts beyond 2018 yet? 

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:42

So which tracks are we going to lose then? Did Spa, Suzuka and Hockenheim extend their contracts beyond 2018 yet? 

Nope, exactly those three have not extended yet.

Though Liberty Media will probably expand the calendar anyway.

#6 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:42

Encouraging to hear, if the article is right, that they plan to be relying less on Tilke in the future. I don't think his circuits are actually all terrible, but having so many of them means there's a distinct lack or variety.

Really skeptical about whether the idea to renovate the Buenos Aires track would be a good thing. I'm still bitter about Hermanos Rodriguez.

Edited by Vielleicht, 28 February 2018 - 18:45.

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:44

Wouldn’t circuit no.15 be a bit long for Formula E cars?

#8 genius83

genius83

• 200 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:47

Right, and FIA drops the engine limit to 2 engine per season :rotfl: :clap:

Edited by genius83, 28 February 2018 - 18:47.

#9 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:49

Brawn said that 20-21 races would be the absolute maximum. If those three circuits extend, all others stay and we'd get another three on top, we'd be at 23 - i don't think the teams would agree to that. They were already complaining at 21.

#10 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 19:18

Wouldn’t circuit no.15 be a bit long for Formula E cars?

Not sure if this is a joke, but this is new GPs for Formula 1.

#11 loki

loki

• 12,037 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 19:37

Brawn said that 20-21 races would be the absolute maximum. If those three circuits extend, all others stay and we'd get another three on top, we'd be at 23 - i don't think the teams would agree to that. They were already complaining at 21.

Come 2021 they aren't going to have a choice.  One thing FOM could do to relieve some of the stress on the traveling is lease a couple of charters (say from Emirates...) from Heathrow and Malpensa.  Also by reducing development and implementation costs on the cars and limiting the number of permanent and working hard cards in the paddock that will not only reduce costs but allow for some more races without having to keep the pace of development through the season.  This could start with some regulations that allow for a competitive, high performance engine but at less cost than now.  That would allow at least some leeway in increasing the engine number cap or perhaps eliminating it altogether.  I would rather see engines that were a bit less technical and still raw and powerful without any sort of restriction.  

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 19:54

full-metal-jacket-joker-hooker-me-so-hor

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 05 September 2019 - 05:22.

#13 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 20:01

Come 2021 they aren't going to have a choice. 

I 'm pretty sure there's a clause in their contracts with FOM

#14 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,230 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 20:02

Bet two of these don’t happen. And I bet those two are Argentina and Vietnam.

#15 ray b

ray b

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 20:14

heard  NOTHING  locally about having a race here in miami

hope it happens but

lots about beckhams football BS nothing about a f-1 race

four season is a ways south of downtown and the old sports car track location

indy cars ran in a park out by fla international U way outside the city of miami

anyone know who the promoter is

and where the funds are coming from ?

#16 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 20:17

hope it happens but

indy cars ran in a park out by fla international U way outside the city of miami

I think they probably mean the other Four Seasons, in Miami Beach

#17 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 20:20

I'm pretty sure their contracts are up by 21.

#18 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 20:27

By the way, we were discussing the Argentinian GP and Buenos Aires track possibilities just last week in this thread.

#19 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 20:29

I'm pretty sure their contracts are up by 21.

So you 're saying Liberty will hit contract renewal season (which is still 3 years away) with a 'but you must agree to race on however many races we say'?

not even Bernie managed to swing that

Advertisement

#20 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 20:30

Bet two of these don’t happen. And I bet those two are Argentina and Vietnam.

I'll rate Vietnam as the best prospect. It's the one that most people appear to be confident about, and Hanoi doesn't have the problems of local democracy and financing to deal with.

Buenos Aires appears unlikely, and I'll await the locals opinions on Miami.

#21 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 21:03

They're sending their own people to pick track layouts? Who? Letting the marketing people design the tracks?

And they think they're going to make 'spectacular' looking tracks in Miami and Hanoi?  :drunk:

#22 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 21:05

Yes Liberty let's break F1 even more.

:cool:

#23 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 21:14

Buenos Aires appears unlikely, and I'll await the locals opinions on Miami.

I seem to remember FE didn't go down too well in Miami because of the local disruption and (ironically) environmental concerns.

So who knows...

#24 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 22:51

Miami will be 5.2 km (17 turns) and be inspired by the Baku City Circuit. It will pass by the Four Seasons Hotel.

That's good to hear. Imagine a race in Miami that doesn't pass the Four Seasons Hotel? It just wouldn't work.

#25 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 22:56

More city tracks? Fail!!!

#26 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 23:57

If Hanoi and Miami are on the calendar, can we expect to see backmarker teams revert to tubular chassis?

Edited by oetzi, 28 February 2018 - 23:57.

#27 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:17

So you 're saying Liberty will hit contract renewal season (which is still 3 years away) with a 'but you must agree to race on however many races we say'?

If they want more money its inevitable

#28 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:53

hope it happens but

As a Miami native, I find this news hard to believe. It's come up every few years going back since we lost the downtown CART race in the mid 90s. The money and public support just aren't there.

Trust me, I wish it were. The course wouldn't be great but I would love to see F1 cars on the streets I grew up driving/cycling on.

#29 loki

loki

• 12,037 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:22

Which expire in 2021.  Chase Carey has already floated a 22-23 race schedule as a goal.  Teams are paid on net profits.  Teams will whinge but they'll take the money.  

#30 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:55

Losing Spa and Suzuka would be a travesty. Many would never forgive Liberty for that. 

#31 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:10

They're sending their own people to pick track layouts? Who? Letting the marketing people design the tracks?

And they think they're going to make 'spectacular' looking tracks in Miami and Hanoi?  :drunk:

This is what I was wondering. Who the hell do they have on staff that has a clue how to lay out a race track?

#32 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:12

If they want more money its inevitable

It makes me think maybe they're positioning themselves to have "throwaways" to give up in the bargaining process with the teams.

#33 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:31

Losing Spa and Suzuka would be a travesty. Many would never forgive Liberty for that. 

Well, the good news is that literally nobody outside of this thread is suggesting that. As usual, the forum is adding 2 and 2 and getting "liberty are ruining the sport" instead of 4. 

#34 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:32

Not sure if this is a joke, but this is new GPs for Formula 1.

It does sound very FE from the title, doesn’t it?

#35 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:16

Well, sending Tilke doesn't net the best results does it? Plus his allegiance was with Bernie. Everything old-F1 must die in this revolution.

You could get another 'problem'. The list of good/classic tracks not on the F1-calendar will get bigger and bigger, so any spin-off could gain good momentum there.

For instance:

Australia- Adelaide

Japan - Suzuka

Germany - Nurburgring

The Netharlands - Assen

Great Britain - Donington

Belgium - Spa

France - Magny Cours

Italy - Imola

Spain - Jerez

Portugal

Turkey

Brazil

South Africa

13 tracks. 3 more and you have a proper 16 race calendar where every race is a GP. Nascar-esque seaons with 30-40 races make races very missable and points tables next to useless. It makes a Prix without the Grand if it happens so often.

Edited by SenorSjon, 01 March 2018 - 08:18.

#36 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:53

Hanoi, Vietnam....

A F1 GP.....

Somehow I have the feeling that the local citizens of Hanoi and the citizens of Vietnam in particular would prefer the millions and millions spend on an F1 track project and everything else it costs to hold an F1 race being spend on more sensible projects that they have more benefits of.

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 01 March 2018 - 08:53.

#37 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:03

^exactly. The country is so poor, the last thing they need is a stupid F1 parade. The govt should help the people better.

#38 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:06

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Sochi

#39 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:07

I don't think Suzuka is in any actual danger as long as at least Honda is still involved. With Spa's attendance figures on the rise courtesy of Verstappen, they should be able to negotiate a new deal even if it's more expensive. But i can't see a 23-race calendar happening, so we will need to lose some races.

Advertisement

#40 Stumpy29

Stumpy29

• 572 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:23

I'd rather have a snooze-fest in Miami or Hanoi than a snooze-fest in Sochi. At least those cities have a vibrant culture and history. 

#41 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:47

I'd rather have a snooze-fest in Miami or Hanoi than a snooze-fest in Sochi. At least those cities have a vibrant culture and history. 

But you will miss the shot of Putin sitting down somewhere near the end of the race...

#42 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:28

^exactly. The country is so poor, the last thing they need is a stupid F1 parade. The govt should help the people better.

Think about it, to my knowledge the country doesn't have a racing, let alone F1 history, thus the homeland fanbase is likely very limited.

Inoreer to attract rich tourists to spend their moey in the country, instead of relying on their own cultural aspects, they gonna organize an event in the tradition of the culture they dispise but select even one of the most outrageously costly ones of them all, for which a fortune must be spend.

I'm sure the vietnamese would like to see an incoming cashflow of money by western tourists, if they want those foreigners to come cause of the event they do come for?

Good chance that the first GP of Vietnam will attract a lot of Japanese, Kereans and other wealthy inhabitants of fairly wealthy countries in the neighbourhood but a GP's success can only be rated by the attendance figures of the ones follwing the first one.

Anyway, I have my doubts about how well this GP will be attended. For the majority of the F1 fans (left    ;)  ) world wide it is very difficult to even think about attending that race in real so if they want to see it, they'll depend on TV.

Still people who sincerely believe that the F1 powers in force are concerned about the majority of the fans being able to attend GP Events, be it race or practice?

No.

The new venues where events are held, the further away the better: Even if the country in question has no racing history of importance.

TV money is what is by far the largest amount of income and that's what they are after. Even if it means making those new venues spending more money on their event to make it a night race so the Euroepans at least can watch TV on daylight time: Yet another thing that makes the TV coverage attractive and boosts the udder of`the Milk cow TV rights money even more.

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 01 March 2018 - 11:29.

#43 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 635 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:44

I too detest the snooze fest that is the Sochi, but how do you know the city itself doesn’t have a vibrant culture and history? It seems a foolish remark to make does it not?

#44 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,859 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:03

At this rate the 1,000th and 2,000th Grands Prix will be held in the same year.

Edited by Yamamoto, 01 March 2018 - 12:03.

#45 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:14

In 2019 motor racing seemed just like another year but it wasn't.  It was different in many ways, as so were those that did the hosting.  In Zandvoort the average number of cars that started was 26.  In Vietnam it will be 19.

(assuming someone bins it in warm up)

#46 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:30

No, I'm saying current contract clauses are irrelevant after the contract ends after 2020, this should be really obvious.

#47 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 13:47

Well, sending Tilke doesn't net the best results does it? Plus his allegiance was with Bernie. Everything old-F1 must die in this revolution.

You could get another 'problem'. The list of good/classic tracks not on the F1-calendar will get bigger and bigger, so any spin-off could gain good momentum there.
For instance:
Australia- Adelaide
Japan - Suzuka
Germany - Nurburgring
The Netharlands - Assen
Great Britain - Donington
Belgium - Spa
France - Magny Cours
Italy - Imola
Spain - Jerez
Portugal
Turkey
Brazil
South Africa
13 tracks. 3 more and you have a proper 16 race calendar where every race is a GP. Nascar-esque seaons with 30-40 races make races very missable and points tables next to useless. It makes a Prix without the Grand if it happens so often.

You know I haven't been able to figure out why track owners in general pay out so much for the privilege of hosting an F1 race. The only compensation they receive is the revenues from those attending the race. It would seem that there is a blatant opportunity for some enterprising individual to start a series of more affordable open wheeled cars driven by former or aspiring F1 drivers.

And by the way you spelt Brands Hatch incorrectly. :)

#48 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 13:51

You know I haven't been able to figure out why track owners in general pay out so much for the privilege of hosting an F1 race. The only compensation they receive is the revenues from those attending the race. It would seem that there is a blatant opportunity for some enterprising individual to start a series of more affordable open wheeled cars driven by former or aspiring F1 drivers.

It's been tried, a couple of times.

#49 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,790 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 14:13

So they want to destroy the Salotto corner in Buenos Aires instead of using it. Stupid F1.

#50 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 14:28

Hate street races. They're cheaper than upgrading old race circuits, but wish they would do that anyhow. F1 at Laguna or Road Atlanta...