McLaren MCL33: Part V

• Please log in to reply
1776 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 20:44

I think it's time for a new thread. Post your Woking-centred analysis, cheerfulness and pessimism below.

Advertisement

#2 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 21:46

I don't know if it already has been reported.

Norris will replace Vandoorne in FP1 in Russia.

#3 Widefoot2

Widefoot2

• 2,321 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 22:54

I think it's time for a new thread. Post your Woking-centred analysis, cheerfulness and pessimism below.

Wot?  I thought "cheerfulness" was against Forum rules.  Especially when dealing with McLaren.

#4 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,270 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:34

Norris for FP1 was in plan for some time, Switching Stoff & ALO every time ... 

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:03

Wot? I thought "cheerfulness" was against Forum rules. Especially when dealing with McLaren.

Surprise us!

#6 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,982 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:23

Majority of the regulars have quit posting on this thread because of constant barrage of negativity towards anyone even daring to say anything positive about the team.

#7 blacky

blacky

• 2,361 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:48

BS, the McLaren thread is pretty calm because there's little to talk about. The car is a write-off and both drivers will go. Not the best requirements for a lot of conversations.

#8 LH44Fan

LH44Fan

• 580 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:12

BS, the McLaren thread is pretty calm because there's little to talk about. The car is a write-off and both drivers will go. Not the best requirements for a lot of conversations.

Agreed, a few years back this was the place to be - as I said in the now-closed thread we even had a McLaren employee posting titbits (and teasers) here. Like the Team and Car and Drivers there's nothing much really to write about currently. As Vandoorne said these last few years McLaren has really hit rock bottom and I never thought I would see this...

Imagine (even in 2013) you'd posted here and predicted McLaren would be consistently at the back of the grid and without wins, you'd have been banned from here for posting horsesh*t while high.

Will always have a soft spot for this Team (due to the interactions i've had with them IRL) and will always have my fingers crossed that they find their way back to where they belong - this is McLaren after all? After Ferrari there is no better name IMO!

#9 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 16:24

First!

Oh, blast.

#10 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 19:27

Yeah the season's been a downward trajectory even with the surprise Singapore result. I'm just hoping for some kind of breakthrough and they figure out why the car doesn't react to changes at all. 

#11 keshav

keshav

• 2,744 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:53

Just hoping we hold off Force India.

#12 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 1,413 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:21

If we lose to FI, which was stripped of points midseason it will be real shame. Not that I've never seen such shame from the Team but I don't wont to see another one. Let's hope Pat Fry is working on the double and next car will be better.

#13 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:37

Agreed, a few years back this was the place to be - as I said in the now-closed thread we even had a McLaren employee posting titbits (and teasers) here. Like the Team and Car and Drivers there's nothing much really to write about currently. As Vandoorne said these last few years McLaren has really hit rock bottom and I never thought I would see this...

Imagine (even in 2013) you'd posted here and predicted McLaren would be consistently at the back of the grid and without wins, you'd have been banned from here for posting horsesh*t while high.

Will always have a soft spot for this Team (due to the interactions i've had with them IRL) and will always have my fingers crossed that they find their way back to where they belong - this is McLaren after all? After Ferrari there is no better name IMO!

Your join date is July 2018. Alright, who are you really? Simk? Enotsne? I'm watching you.

#14 LH44Fan

LH44Fan

• 580 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 13:47

Your join date is July 2018. Alright, who are you really? Simk? Enotsne? I'm watching you.

:lol:

I'm me, who are you?

In all seriousness i've been a follower/avid reader on these forums (and jaonf1 and f1 fanatic) since 2006. It's not unusual for someone to finally take the plunge some years later for whatever reason. I've been a McLaren fan since '05 (supporting JPM and Kimi - I love fast, aggressive drivers) and then Australia '07 my world as i knew it changed. I work in the I.T industry and in that capacity supplied kit to Woking which is how I managed to observe these lot up close. I even got to enter Rons office once as he had to sign-off a multi-million pound Microsoft Agreement I coined (in conjunction with their Microsoft Account Manager) so yeah, i have a vested interest (and always will) in the Teams success.

#15 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,864 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 15:10

Good to see the boss focusing on what's REALLY important...

https://www.autospor...pecial-liveries

#16 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 15:12

I guess he's still having trouble finding that elusive full-time title sponsor.

#17 NikL

NikL

• 221 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 15:20

It only sounds like a good idea when you have no sponsors and it would confuse everyone so pretty stupid. Anyway doesn't he have more pressing issues to concern himself with?

#18 pup

pup

• 2,620 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 16:04

Yes, the man in charge of getting sponsorship should definitely not speak about sponsorship at a sponsorship forum.

#19 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 16:30

AMuS pics:

McLaren-GP-Russland-Sotschi-Formel-1-Mit

Advertisement

#20 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,270 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 00:59

I guess he's still having trouble finding that elusive full-time title sponsor.

Somehow Formula1 neglects any potential that comes around.

Formula1 is So Bloody conservative you cannot imagine if you are too much into it.

Nothing can happen, every single invention is prohibited.

Only (miss)interpretation of rules can make a differnce.

Is it still a pinnacle of this motor sport?

#21 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:39

Looks like the team is changing the engine, so penalties.

https://twitter.com/...252186157043713

#22 restless

restless

• 666 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:42

it seems RB will start from end of the grid... so the fight for 5th&6th place will be crucial

#23 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:47

Celebrations of beating Force India feel like a bit of hollow victory, considering their efforts from most of the season have been disqualified.

In terms of counting the points Force India has really scored over a season, they would effectively sit 4th in the Constructors.

#24 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,170 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:59

it seems RB will start from end of the grid... so the fight for 5th&6th place will be crucial

Red Bull will have no problem finishing P5 and P6.

#25 BertoC

BertoC

• 1,662 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:23

They could even start at Sochi's outskirts, they will finish 5th and 6th, no one is able to fight with top 3.

#26 restless

restless

• 666 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:32

Red Bull will have no problem finishing P5 and P6.

A friendly bet then? ;)

I bet at least one of RB drivers won't be in top6 (if they get engine penalties)

#27 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 13:45

I don't see the big deal with his suggestion?  I also find it laughable people say ZB is out of his depth in F1 when he starts talking about sponsorship...

Somehow Formula1 neglects any potential that comes around.

Formula1 is So Bloody conservative you cannot imagine if you are too much into it.

Nothing can happen, every single invention is prohibited.

Only (miss)interpretation of rules can make a differnce.

If it isn't, what series is?  What is the most innovated motorsport at the moment? Which past honest-to-goodness F1 innovations did not come about by reading the rules in a different light?

Edited by Nathan, 27 September 2018 - 14:00.

#28 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 13:58

ZB is out of depths in F1, he should just stay at home

This guy is crazy, he wants nascar liveries, Indycar for Mclaren, messed up Honda.........................

ZB STAY HOME!!!!! 

#29 taffer

taffer

• 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 14:13

AMuS pics:

So finally we get to know the real reason why no more championships for McLaren since 2008, no room for any more engravings down there...

Edited by taffer, 27 September 2018 - 14:29.

#30 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 15:19

ZB is out of depths in F1, he should just stay at home

This guy is crazy, he wants nascar liveries, Indycar for Mclaren, messed up Honda.........................

ZB STAY HOME!!!!! 

It's a great idea and open up more sources of revenue for smaller teams. Zak didn't messed up Honda, get real.

#31 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 17:21

messed up Honda.........................

Yeah he really messed that one up... 

Honestly. Just stop posting. 

#32 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,170 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 17:52

Zak switched the "jewel" Honda engine with an high mileage GP2 engine every night.

#33 blacky

blacky

• 2,361 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:24

But who is responsible?

Currently I think how the hell they ditched Honda and give up a financial healthy future for a product which is barely if ever better? I just don't want to say in 2020 (looking at a RBR-Honda car which fights for the championship): "this should have been McLaren". Worst imagination.

#34 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 21:43

McLaren-GP-Russland-Sotschi-Formel-1-Don

Spoiler

#35 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 21:46

014_medium.jpg

300_medium.jpg

#36 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,170 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 21:47

But who is responsible?

Currently I think how the hell they ditched Honda and give up a financial healthy future for a product which is barely if ever better? I just don't want to say in 2020 (looking at a RBR-Honda car which fights for the championship): "this should have been McLaren". Worst imagination.

The technical staff pass the numbers (and projections) to the managers, the managers discuss options in terms of financial and technicalities, the shareholders decides.

Edited by Joseki, 27 September 2018 - 21:47.

#37 Celloman

Celloman

• 1,604 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 22:33

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the decision was made on information they had a year ago. Last year Renault was both the more reliable and quicker engine. And probably Alonso had decided he was out if the Honda partnership would have continued.

Edited by Celloman, 27 September 2018 - 22:34.

#38 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,270 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:44

I don't see the big deal with his suggestion?  I also find it laughable people say ZB is out of his depth in F1 when he starts talking about sponsorship...

If it isn't, what series is?  What is the most innovated motorsport at the moment? Which past honest-to-goodness F1 innovations did not come about by reading the rules in a different light?

the devil is in detail. You have got to expand the horizon every day to remain on the top.

Edited by kumo7, 28 September 2018 - 03:45.

#39 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:09

You have got to expand the horizon every day to remain on the top.

Even if no one else is expanding either?  I'm not sure what makes LMP1 the pinnacle, and I say LMP1 because I can't think of any other motor sport category that technologically comes close to F1.

So to answer your question, yes I believe F1 is still the pinnacle of motor sport.

Edited by Nathan, 28 September 2018 - 13:44.

Advertisement

#40 blacky

blacky

• 2,361 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:57

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the decision was made on information they had a year ago. Last year Renault was both the more reliable and quicker engine. And probably Alonso had decided he was out if the Honda partnership would have continued.

McLaren's originally idea for a break with Honda for a year or two and using Merc engines instead, was very good in my opinion, but unrealistic. Honda is a pride company, why should they do this. Renault was only the fill-in. And I guess there was no teven one supporter without concerns about this decision, looking at the performance of the Renault engine since 2014. Normally I am on your side, Celloman, I hate people who know everything better afterwards, especially at work... but that wasn't the case.

#41 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,270 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:09

Even if no one else is either?  I'm not sure what makes LMP1 the pinnacle, and I say LMP1 because I can't think of any other motor sport category that technologically comes close to F1.

So to answer your question, yes I believe F1 is still the pinnacle of motor sport.

Good question if LMP1 is the pinnacle.

But Le Mans is certainly the most known in terms of its extremely of driving 24 hours. 

ManTT is know as the most dangerous and need guts, drivers are already known.

Monaco is seen as the gramour but it it is the pinnacle, I am not so sure.

F1 is the most expensive that i for sure.

The public thinks that F1 drivers are the most egoistic of all, that is MHO, and that is not necessarily good.

F1 was the pinnacle due is truly creative thinking and the cars that does perform at its best.

But the current F1 I dear say it is not any more as sharp edge as previous generation.

Everything is ruled regulated and nothing seems possible.

Everybody cheats rule to win, that is the main business and it is called loop hole.

The car looks the same the last twenty years, more or less. Not that in between there was something different.

no, current F1 races fast very fast cars, but not so creative. 

#42 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,270 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:11

By the way, I do think that this is not McLaren V topic.... Sorry...

#43 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:59

The technical staff pass the numbers (and projections) to the managers, the managers discuss options in terms of financial and technicalities, the shareholders decides.

If that is what it takes to be a CEO, then any donkey in this forum is qualified

#44 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:03

So Fernando is the one missing FP1, I thought it was reported it was Stoffel :confused:

#45 levi1700

levi1700

• 102 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:55

In Monza Stoffel was replaced, so now it was Alonso’s turn to give his seat.

#46 keshav

keshav

• 2,744 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:23

Norris quicker than Vandoorne.

#47 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 918 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:36

Norris quicker than Vandoorne.

1 tenth, do we know fuel loads?

#48 Sebastien007

Sebastien007

• 641 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:52

Now we can really compare, Stoffel didn't have any issues this time and he is slower.

#49 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,270 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:54

Now we can really compare, Stoffel didn't have any issues this time and he is slower.

A glory run from Norris, is possible. 

#50 keshav

keshav

• 2,744 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:06

Just made a general comment that his time is better. Not saying anything else. Same way that Verstappen is faster than Lewis.

Just an observation.