- - - - -

Leclerc - Hamilton, Monza 2019 [split]

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

#1 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 14:50

So, what was different between Verstappen-Bottas and the Leclerc-Hamilton incident this year?

Advertisement

#2 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,919 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 14:52

So, what was different between Verstappen-Bottas and the Leclerc-Hamilton incident this year?

Verstappen was not driving a Ferrari.

#3 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 14:55

Leclerc is the new golden boy.

#4 Beri

Beri

• 11,703 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 14:57

1) Black and White flag reintroduced
2) More lenient attitude by the stewards

#5 born1983

born1983

• 173 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:03

To be fair, this year’s decision was fine. Last year’s decision was ridiculous.

#6 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,628 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:05

It's not just the decision for me. It's the fact that Charles got the black and white flag then still made two questionable moves. One when he cut the chicane and then the block through T3.

#7 Massa

Massa

• 10,123 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:06

Let them race policy didn't last long in this forum..

#8 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 1,381 posts

Hard racing. Deal with it.

#9 JBJ

JBJ

• 1,131 posts

1) Black and White flag reintroduced
2) More lenient attitude by the stewards

LeClerc got the black and white before this "incident"
He was warned to behave

#10 doc83

doc83

• 939 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:07

As I said in the race thread. Soon there will be only DRS passes left (in the middle of the straight). Defending driver is basically allowed to do anything these days anywhere near the corner.

#11 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,391 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:09

Charles is the dirtiest driver on the grid. Made a suicide run at Monte Carlo and then drove around the majority of the track with a ripped tyre. Raced too hard against Max at Silverstone.

Today was a disgrace though. Forced Hamilton off track, moved under braking, cut corners.

He might be the new golden boy, but I don’t like him.

#12 Beri

Beri

• 11,703 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:10

LeClerc got the black and white before this "incident"
He was warned to behave

If not 1 then it is 2. Clear and simple answer. I'm happy for this attitude that the Stewards have taken on. #LetThemRace

#13 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,627 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:10

Let them race policy didn't last long in this forum..

Of course. FIA changed approach in Austria after Leclerc and Verstappen contact.

Don't understand why people don't get this.

Edited by Astandahl, 08 September 2019 - 15:10.

#14 kernel

kernel

• 5,193 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:11

Verstappen was not driving a Ferrari.

a Ferrari... at Monza

#15 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 1,130 posts

It helped Leclerc a lot that this race was in Italy. But nonetheless a great showing of skills by him. Congratulations!

#16 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Hard racing, change the channel if you don't like it.

#17 hayabusasc

hayabusasc

• 1,334 posts

Exactly this.

#18 derstatic

derstatic

• 715 posts

The difference is Austria. That verdict showed the drive on the outside can not expect to be given any room. This is consistent with how Austria, then Silverstone was judged.

#19 anyeis

anyeis

• 2,176 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:12

Penalty for that? Not really. Verstappen was much clealer

Advertisement

#20 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,257 posts

It's not just the decision for me. It's the fact that Charles got the black and white flag then still made two questionable moves. One when he cut the chicane and then the block through T3.

He didn't gain a lasting advantage from the chicane, and T3 was really pushing it.

Charles is the dirtiest driver on the grid. Made a suicide run at Monte Carlo and then drove around the majority of the track with a ripped tyre. Raced too hard against Max at Silverstone.

Today was a disgrace though. Forced Hamilton off track, moved under braking, cut corners.

He might be the new golden boy, but I don’t like him.

The Monaco one can probably be written down to inexperience and frustration from something that wasn't his fault.

Silverstone was after Austria, you can see a clear difference in how Leclerc acts on track pre and post Austria.

#21 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

The difference is Austria. That verdict showed the drive on the outside can not expect to be given any room. This is consistent with how Austria, then Silverstone was judged.

No

Austria was on the exit of a corner and entirely in line wth accepted ra ing etiquette, nothing changed.

#22 SirT

SirT

• 726 posts

Leclerc pushed the limits and went over them in my opinion but you can understand why because winning at Monza was worth the risk. It's the stewards that have bottled it.

#23 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:13

Black and white flag means you can do every little dirty trick once every race.

#24 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,917 posts

Austria 2019 happened. I'm sorry folks. It's anything goes now. 

I said this after that race:

It is a disgusting tactic made prominent by talentless racers such as Nico Rosberg and been perpetuated by the RedBull driver academy.

It is a symptom of the DRS and the acres of runoff we have now.

I hope the 2021 regulations are as effective as they should be and the DRS is discontinued, and this kind of thing is nipped in the bud.

The days of good racers like Alonso and Kimi are ending it seems.

Everyone wants to act like a scumbag a las Schu and Senna, only they used to get punished despite the star status and it wasnt so commonplace across the rest of the grid.

If the 2021 regs don't solve this, then another black mark against F1

No matter what fools say, this isn't racing. Pushing your opponent off the track isn't racing.

You leave them just enough. But not less. This kind of thing would have got people injured or killed back in the day.

Formula 1 is ****ed if forcing your opponent off track is 'great racing' I only objected a little to Vettel's pen because Vettel lost control, but that was easy to stomach because he did block Lewis. You can look back, I said, rules are rules. They had better be this time. You want to blame anyone, blame the dirty drier that could have passed clean to cap off a great win, but didn't. But then, many commentators and posters on here had no problem with Max cutting the track to overtake Kimi in Austin 2017 either. The state  :rolleyes:

Charles Leclerc got the message loud and clear then that this is how racing is done in F1 now.

Today was another symptom of this bankrupt 'racing' of DRS1.

Hamilton fans are a powerful lobby group. Write to the FIA and get this changed. I hope we can end this somehow.

But as long as the RedBull driver academy exists in its current state, I doubt it.

#25 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Of course. FIA changed approach in Austria after Leclerc and Verstappen contact.

Don't understand why people don't get this.

Because what happened in Austria is entirely in line with what has happened for season after season, race after race.

#26 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,627 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:14

Imagine if someone would actually compete with Lewis for the WDC :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#27 doc83

doc83

• 939 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:15

Black and white flag means you can do every little dirty trick once every race.

One dirty trick of every kind. Just as today.

#28 Massa

Massa

• 10,123 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:16

Nobody was saying something when Verstappen was zigzagging in front of the Ferrari in 2016 nearly each races.

Now that a Ferrari driver is defending his place hard, Hamilton and Mercedes fans are crying. Even a moderator said Leclerc cheated today.

The only cheat I saw this weekend is a Mercedes driver doing a quali lap under a red flag condition..

" But but but Ferrari International Assistance at Monza "

Edited by Massa, 08 September 2019 - 15:18.

#29 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,628 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:17

Nobody was saying something when Verstappen was zigzagging in front of the Ferrari in 2016 nearly each races.

Um, yes they were.

#30 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,904 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:19

That was at corner exit (like Sainz/Albon today), not corner entry...

#31 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:20

If people are complaining about this, I can barely imagine how this place would look in the Senna/Prost years. :rotfl:

imo it was good hard racing, I complement both Charles and Lewis on a fine show indeed.

#32 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,904 posts

Now that a Ferrari driver is defending his place hard, Hamilton and Mercedes fans are crying. Even a moderator said Leclerc cheated today.

The only cheat I saw this weekend is a Mercedes driver doing a quali lap under a red flag condition..

Seriously? Nobody? 

#33 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

A just race regardless policy will always be at odds with the fair racing conundrum. You can't have both.

#34 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 684 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:21

Hamilton fan here, congratulations to Charles! He was right on the edge and maybe a bit over it but that's where he got the the black/white flag for, penalizing Leclerc would've totally ruined the race and winning a race that way doesn't feel right either.

#35 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Chopping moves are here to stay unfortunately, introduced by the new guys and never penalized. But gosh I hate this kind of driving.

#36 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Similar to Silverstone I do think that it was on the limit but still okay (and if it wasnt Hamilton wouldnt have congratulated him straight after the race, I cant believe that you guys are still not getting it that every driver moans on the team radio automatically when somebody races tough)

Not really sure  how Leclerc got the black and white flag for one thing but not for the other, it's like they didnt want to give the 2nd yellow card against the home team. We'll see how they handle this in future races since it's just reintroduce, but I fear that they will be very creative on this one. We'll see.

#37 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

After Leclerc went off in the first chicane, his engineer warned him about weaving before turn 4. So did the FIA give a verbal warning about that?

#38 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,882 posts

The only cheat I saw this weekend is a Mercedes drivers doing a quali lap under a red flag condition..

I said it and stand by it. I praised Leclerc’s driving earlier this season, said he should have won at Bahrain and saw him as the ‘real’ winner. But today was a depressing glimpse into how when faced with appalling standards on track, the sport has lacked the imagination, Will or moral fibre to change behaviours and instead resorted to its favourite low effort tactic, namely pretending what is happening isn’t a problem at all! It’s actually good and exciting!

As to no one saying anything about Verstappen’s weaving, I think I can just say it did get mentioned. Once or twice.

#39 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,110 posts

A large majority was moaning about Verstappen! Don't turn this into Mercedes vs Ferrari your guy did this, well your guy did that rubbish

Edited by SilverArrow31, 08 September 2019 - 15:25.

Advertisement

#40 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,882 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:23

Similar to Silverstone I do think that it was on the limit but still okay (and if it wasnt Hamilton wouldnt have congratulated him straight after the race, I cant believe that you guys are still not getting it that every driver moans on the team radio automatically when somebody races tough)
Not really sure  how Leclerc got the black and white flag for one thing but not for the other, it's like they didnt want to give the 2nd yellow card against the home team. We'll see how they handle this in future races since it's just reintroduce, but I fear that they will be very creative on this one. We'll see.

That is exactly what I thought, they didn’t want to hand out two cards because it would have been embarrassing, Not too embarrassing to carry it out in reality, but too embarrassing to broadcast.

#41 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 10,709 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:24

Hard racing != Fair racing

#42 Massa

Massa

• 10,123 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:25

That was at corner exit (like Sainz/Albon today), not corner entry...

So you are allowed to close any space at the exit of a corner but not at the entry ? Where it is written ?

#43 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:25

You are living in a alternate reality

#44 OO7

OO7

• 23,418 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:26

The problem isn't Charles, the problem is the stewarding.  They should've stamped this out a long time ago but didn't, so we can't really blame the drivers who take advantage of it.

Edited by OO7, 08 September 2019 - 15:27.

#45 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:26

After Leclerc went off in the first chicane, his engineer warned him about weaving before turn 4. So did the FIA give a verbal warning about that?

Let's call it another half of black and white flag.  Not a fan of Leclerc after this race, way too dirty IMO.  I think he should've been docked the lead twice today for what he did (and before all the fans start whining about penalties, the threat of penalties is the only way to discourage dirty driving).

#46 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 10,709 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:27

The stewards have shown a new level of incompetence this weekend - it's getting worse, not better. The black and white flag coming back feels like a change Masi made just to assert he's now in the top position. There's a reason Charlie never used it, because it encourages leniency. One stewarding team at all races with someone who doesn't give a crap about the state of the sport (i.e. pissing off fans)

Edited by Jordan44, 08 September 2019 - 15:27.

#47 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:28

The stewards are good in my books when it comes to this. We don’t need draconian stewarding when any action is a rarity.

If their roles were reversed we certainly wouldn’t see any complaining. Just some “goat” posts.

Edited by MikeV1987, 08 September 2019 - 15:30.

#48 KeithD68

KeithD68

• 520 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:28

Anyone think F1 is going to take a decision against a Ferrari driver in Monza for anything that isn't an absolute clear cut infringement is living in cloud cuckoo land

#49 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:29

No point arguing, this is how it is now, gloves are off, feel free to move around and block all you like.

I don't blame Leclerc, it earned him the victory. No point crying about it now. Well done Leclerc.

Edited by Retrofly, 08 September 2019 - 15:29.

#50 Massa

Massa

• 10,123 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:30

I said if and stand by it. I praised Leclerc’s driving earlier this season, said he should have won at Bahrain and saw him as the ‘real’ winner. But today was a depressing glimpse into how when faced with appalling standards on track, the sport has lacked the imagination, Will or moral fibre to change behaviours and instead resorted to its favourite low effort tactic, namely pretending what is happening isn’t a problem at all! It’s actually good and exciting!

As to no one saying anything about Verstappen’s weaving, I think I can just say it did get mentioned. Once or twice.

After what happened in Austria, Leclerc did nothing wrong IMHO.

Everybody wants what happened in Silverstone or today, some ( Horner and others) were speaking about wheel banging.

There we go now..

Leclerc did to Hamilton what Verstappen did to him in Austria, not leaving him space. You can't blame Leclerc at Austria and then blame him today.