Photo
- - - - -

FIA Formula E World Championship [2021] Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
1339 replies to this topic

Poll: FIA Formula E World Championship [2021] Official Thread (48 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you looking forward the most for next season?

1. After Da Costa's dominance, i'd like to see a closer title battle! (7 votes [14.58%])

Percentage of vote: 14.58%

2. Mercedes at the top of the game after a strong S6 finale! (5 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

3. New drivers in action!! (2 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

4. Give me full Monaco this time, please! (16 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. A regular season, just fun, without COVID fears & schedule changes (18 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,106 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 15:01

Thread.png

SILLY SEASON 7 THREAD 

SEASON 6 THREAD

Senza-titolo-4.png

After 6 years of great racing, drama & excitement, Formula E finally gets the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP STATUS for Season 7.

We didn't need it to prove that the serie is a treat to watch, but it's super important for all the Constructors & Sponsors involved.

We can expect another step into the Top Levels of Motorsport with Season 7, that's the coming of age for Formula E!

But what can we expect from the first Formula E World Championship Season? 

Let's dive right into it!

1-EPS611_175349_W6I3913-2.jpg

Senza-titolo-4g4.png

The Season 6 of Formula E just finished after an incredible, action packed week of Racing at the Tempelhof Airport of Berlin.

6 Races in 8 days, unprecedented even in Motorsport History. 

A forced decision, it was: Formula E had to scrap half the calendar due to the Coronavirus crisis, and had to go for a ballsy solution in order to bring the championship home.

Many liked it, some disliked the format. But, all in all, we had a blast during the whole week of racing at the Tempelhof. 

At the end of an intense week, Antonio Felix Da Costa of Techeetah took the Driver's Title.

The portoguese of DS Techeetah scored an impressive streak of Pole & Victories to end the season on TOP, assuring the Team also the Constructor's title. 

Missed some of the Action in Berlin?  Don't worry!

5.png

Now it's time to Focus on next season, wich is set to be the Best one yet of Formula E!

SEASON 7 CONSTRUCTOR'S LIST

- Audi Sport
- BMW AG
- DS Automobiles
- Jaguar Land Rover 
- Mahindra Racing
- Mercedes-Benz
- NIO 333
- Nissan
- Penske 
- Porsche AG
- Venturi Automobiles

Some big moves announced so far in terms of drivers lineup.

Sam Bird leaves Envision Virgin Racing after 6 seasons, destination Jaguar alongside Mitch Evans.ù
The flying Kiwi Nick Cassidy will replace the englishman at Virgin, while Alexander Sims leaves BMW to grab a seat in Mahindra. 

Pascal Wehrlein will also replace Neel Jani at Porsche, and will race alongside Andrè Lotterer.

Mercedes, Audi, Nissan are set to retain the current lineup. 

UPDATED DRIVERS LINEUP

JAGUAR                    MITCH EVANS - SAM BIRD
VIRGIN AUDI             ROBIN FRIJNS - NICK CASSIDY
PORSCHE                 ANDRE LOTTERER - PASCAL WEHRLEIN

TECHEETAH             JEAN ERIC VERGNE - ANTONIO FELIX DA COSTA

BMW                          MAX GUNTHER - [Philip Eng / Lucas Auer / Bruno Spengler]

MAHINDRA               ALEXANDER SIMS[Alex Lynn / Pipo Derani]

MERCEDES              VANDOORNE - DE VRIES 

AUDI:                        DI GRASSI - RAST 

NISSAN                    BUEMI - ROWLAND 

VENTURI                  MORTARA - ????  [Norman Nato / Arthur Leclerc / Sergio Sette Camara]
DRAGON                  ???????? [Sergio Sette Camara / Nico Muller / Joel Eriksson]
NIO                           ???????? [Oliver Tuvey / Daniel Abt ]

Black = Confirmed
Yellow = Most Likely
Red  = Rumored

SILLY SEASON 7 THREAD 

6.png

For the first time EVER in Formula E's History, we've got a single year calendar!

All races in 2021. From January to  July!
A shorter, tigher schedule will provide good momentum for the Season 7 Championship battle!

Big comebacks in the Calendar: Monaco & London are the eye catchers. 
The First Formula E FIA World Championship will likely see the electric cars tackle the MONACO GRAND PRIX CIRCUIT, in full fashion!

Also, the Circuit of Rome is be subject to changes & homologation. A brand new city street location is expected for the 2021's race in Italy! 

vergne-monaco.jpg

SEASON 7 PROVISIONAL CALENDAR 

Senza-titolo-6.png

efef.png

fef.png

(updating when new infos about Season 7 comes around)

Advertisement

#2 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,106 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 15:02

We start off looking at next season with some news!

Pascal Wehrlein appears in first test with Porsche!

Looks Fast!

121.png

And nice Helmet + Haircut!  

Egb-Ms-Qn-Wo-AA0v-Id.jpg

Edited by thegamer23, 27 August 2020 - 15:11.

#3 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,424 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 15:20

Looking forward to an increasing number of strong drivers in good cars making the series much deeper.  More circuits taking note of Mexico and Berlin to create much better tracks to race on will also be very nice.

And no GEN2 EVO is also a cause for celebration (just say no to big honkin' fins).

#4 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 15:51

Seeing 'World Championship' in the thread title somehow hit different.

Immensely proud to see Formula E come this far and really looking forward to what's in store next.

We've come a long way...

FE-ROme.jpg
FE-Rome.jpg
FE-Rome-2.png

Edited by Vielleicht, 27 August 2020 - 15:55.

#5 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 16:12

Raising the game again with the OP quality I see! 

#6 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 16:39

Current VW boss is taking a big dig at Formula E

https://f1-insider.c...-with-f1-flirt/

Edited by Viryfan, 27 August 2020 - 16:39.

#7 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 16:44

The First Formula E FIA World Championship will likely see the electric cars tackle the MONACO GRAND PRIX CIRCUIT, in full fashion!

Formula E is featured on the upcoming Project Cars 3 apparently and so I found this video of a Gen2 at Monaco.  Having done a side by side comparison with a real on board lap it seems to be a really close match for pace around the section we have a comparison for. 

#8 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,106 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 17:11

Looks like i should get Project Cars 3  :smoking: 
The handling looks very realistic around there.  :up:

I love how the Tunnel kink is actually a corner for the Formula E cars. 

So that lap is a 1'32''8

Wich would be around the old generation of Formula 3 pace.

Very respectable i'd say. No reasons to not run the complete layout!

Edited by thegamer23, 27 August 2020 - 17:14.

#9 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 17:33

Looks like i should get Project Cars 3  :smoking:

I would not recommend that, unless you don't want anything serious. It should have been marketed as Shift 3. Jimmy's opinion if you are interested.

Edited by balage06, 27 August 2020 - 17:34.

#10 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,079 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 17:36

a closer title fight would be nice, the quality of the field is already excellent so no real need for new blood although some teams may want to wait to confirm their drivers to see which F1 drivers could be available to snap up (Grosjean, Kvyat, Magnussen, Raikkönen, Giovinazzi).

Edited by William Hunt, 27 August 2020 - 17:36.

#11 messy

messy

• 7,495 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 19:34

Unpopular opinion time - I think Da Costa got really quite lucky last season and don’t think he’s likely to carry that across to this season. I think JEV is still the better/quicker Techeetah driver and would expect him to come back stronger. Hoping for a much stronger showing from Porsche too, Wehrlein certainly is a good upgrade on Neel ‘Ricardo Rosset’ Jani.

I’m most looking forward to seeing Cassidy and hopefully Rast, I reckon both will be right up there.

#12 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 19:57

Unpopular opinion time - I think Da Costa got really quite lucky last season and don’t think he’s likely to carry that across to this season. I think JEV is still the better/quicker Techeetah driver and would expect him to come back stronger.

Not sure about that. I think JEV's second title campaign was fairly unimpressive already. His poor season start helped him massively later in the season, while Lotterer always seemed totally careless as his teammate. And I always felt that the Techeetah is a better car than what those two showed us and da Costa's almost effortless title kinda proved that for me.

Edited by balage06, 27 August 2020 - 19:58.

#13 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:34

Current VW boss is taking a big dig at Formula E

My full response to this ended up going into the F1 2026 Power Unit thread so I'll just link it here I suppose 

#14 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:34

Unpopular opinion time - I think Da Costa got really quite lucky last season and don’t think he’s likely to carry that across to this season. I think JEV is still the better/quicker Techeetah driver and would expect him to come back stronger. Hoping for a much stronger showing from Porsche too, Wehrlein certainly is a good upgrade on Neel ‘Ricardo Rosset’ Jani.

I’m most looking forward to seeing Cassidy and hopefully Rast, I reckon both will be right up there.

Not sure about that. I think JEV's second title campaign was fairly unimpressive already. His poor season start helped him massively later in the season, while Lotterer always seemed totally careless as his teammate. And I always felt that the Techeetah is a better car than what those two showed us and da Costa's almost effortless title kinda proved that for me.

I definitely think JEV's response to Da Costa's title is going to be one of the most interesting questions going into the next season. I haven't really got a prediction either way so happy to just see how it plays out. 

Edited by Ben1445, 28 August 2020 - 09:34.

#15 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:08

Formula E is all about momentum and maximising those points finishes. This really does seem to fluctuate from year to year. I wouldn't want to predict which of the Techeetahs will come out on top next year, although I dare say one of them will most likely be champion.

#16 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:46

Vergne's reaction when Da Costa sealed the title actually make me think he could really bounce back. He was very mature about it and offered what looked like genuinely heartfelt congratulatuons to Antonio. He openly said that he needed to learn how to lose, with very much the mindset that he would come back from this stronger because he knows that is something he can do from experience.

I can't make any predictions either though. Both Techeetah drivers obviosuly stand a very good chance of winning it again but really anything could happen.

#17 FLB

FLB

• 29,862 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:53

Vergne's reaction when Da Costa sealed the title actually make me think he could really bounce back. He was very mature about it and offered what looked like genuinely heartfelt congratulatuons to Antonio. He openly said that he needed to learn how to lose, with very much the mindset that he would come back from this stronger because he knows that is something he can do from experience.

I can't make any predictions either though. Both Techeetah drivers obviosuly stand a very good chance of winning it again but really anything could happen.

I imagine there was a talking-to and a come-to-Jesus meeting with the team bosses for Vergne after what happened in Chile with da Costa.

Remember he's gunning for a place in Peugeot's up-coming Le Mans program as well...

Edited by FLB, 28 August 2020 - 12:53.

#18 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,106 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:56

I might be in the minority here, but i was quite fascinated by the Gen 2 Evo project & the direction they were going for.

A shame it was dropped due to Covid & cost cap.

I agree that the current Gen 2 looks cleaner overall, but i was looking forward to see a little bit more downforce in the car, thanks to the different front wing, shark fin + rear wing.

Guess we'll see similar solutions in the Gen 3.

screenshot040-jpg9-DA8-F5-EF-F971-4-FF1-

Edited by thegamer23, 28 August 2020 - 13:04.

#19 FLB

FLB

• 29,862 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:57

My full response to this ended up going into the F1 2026 Power Unit thread so I'll just link it here I suppose 

I just read your post on the thread and I agree. Audi's Chris Reinke was pushing for the series to open more development areas last year and was turned down, wasn't he? 

Advertisement

#20 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 13:09

I might be in the minority here, but i was quite fascinated by the Gen 2 Evo project & the direction they were going for.

A shame it was dropped due to Covid & cost cap.

The current Gen 2 looks cleaner overall, but i was looking forward to see a little bit more downforce in the car, thanks to the different front wing, shark fin + rear wing.

Guess we'll see similar solutions in the Gen 3.

Yeah, leaving looks aside I really was looking forward to seeing what the impact of the higher downforce/lower drag philiosophy of the Gen2 EVO would have had. Those differences would have the order of 10-15% apparently so not insignificant.

Putting looks back in... it seems most people weren't a fan. I'm on the fence myself and I think It's...fine? At least this way I've still got two years to see the current Gen2 in action before Gen3 arrives.

#21 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 13:11

I presume more downforce and more grippy tyres will accompany the increased power in Gen 3.

#22 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 16:42

I just read your post on the thread and I agree. Audi's Chris Reinke was pushing for the series to open more development areas last year and was turned down, wasn't he? 

I have to say I'm not sure I'm familiar with that story? The usual internet searches aren't throwing up anything to help me either 

#23 FLB

FLB

• 29,862 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 16:52

I have to say I'm not sure I'm familiar with that story? The usual internet searches aren't throwing up anything to help me either 

I can't find the quote I remember either, but di Grassi is public about the fact he thinks Gen 3 is heading in the wrong direction. The quote I remember was in the same vein:

https://the-race.com...ith-gen3-rules/

#24 messy

messy

• 7,495 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 20:49

Vergne is coming off two really messy seasons for my money, the first he somehow managed to still wind up as champion but absolutely no chance this year - while he was getting involved in clumsy incidents, battling the “flu” and breaking his wheelguard, Da Costa was winning over and over again. I still think JEV is the best driver in the series but Da Costa must have given him a hell of a fright this year.

#25 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 13:52

Formula E Zone did an interview with Max Günther on his path to Formula E success and it's a pretty interesting look into his thinking behind taking the opportunities available to him whilst climbing the motorsport ladder.

I wonder if the fact that he made the choice to push to be in Formula E largely on his own terms rather than being unwillingly forced into it helped him get up to speed quite quickly. Whilst some of his contemporaries started with a slight embitterment about their career not going quite to plan and took some time time to readjust before they started getting results, Günther definitely seemed to start off very much with the attitude of 'Yes, this is what I want'. 

#26 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 14:39

I would agree that Günther’s maturity and forward thinking mindset helped him. If he ever was bitter about how much the motorsport ladder relies on money, luck and connections he appears to have either got over it quickly or early on in his career (perhaps even both) and come off well because of it.

He’s been one of the most impressive and promising rookies in the Gen2 era so far for sure. I’m interested to see how his career evolves.

#27 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 16:02

The Race: Why Does BMW Keep Losing Formula E Drivers? | https://the-race.com...mula-e-drivers/

Sam Smith having a ponder on an interesting question...

#28 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 19:22

Yeah, can't be too reassuring when BMW has a cast of half a dozen staff drivers at the ready that could take your seat anytime.

#29 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:32

The Candidates To Take The Formula E Seat Massa Vacated

https://the-race.com...-massa-vacated/

#30 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 18:45

Screenshot-2020-09-03-at-19-44-00.png

#31 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:56

Reports of a Formula One/Algarve race promotors plan to get Da Costa out on track either in Free Practice or a one off race seat for the first Portugese GP in 25 years

https://the-race.com...-portuguese-gp/

No word from Da Costa himself on it yet. He's not beleived to have an F1 break clause in his contract and had previously said he wasn't concerned with F1 chances and would turn them down. On the other hand, a one off celebration appearance for Portugal wasn't what he was being asked about at the time.

#32 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 13:26

who should give him a race seat?

#33 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 14:49

If that happens I can’t see it being any more consequential than Lotterer’s one time outing at Spa

Edited by Ben1445, 04 September 2020 - 14:50.

#34 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 22:51

No idea, presumably someone who could do with some extra cash would be the plan.

I'd be surprised if anything comes of it in all honesty. I can't see much point to an free practice outing and not much chance of a race seat. There's also no word from Da Costa himself on the matter.

#35 FLB

FLB

• 29,862 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 22:58

Sauber. Alfa Romeo will be a part of Stellantis, as will DS. 

#36 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,997 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 03:02

This is the randomness I want in F1. Bring it on!

#37 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 12:57

Valencia Reinstated as Formula E Pre-Season Test Venue  | https://the-race.com...son-test-venue/

There was talk of it being Donington again, but with the season start in January and testing now expected in late November/early December that'd be almost sure to be cold rain central. 

#38 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,106 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 13:07

Make sense, expecially for the weather

#39 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:44

Advertisement

#40 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,106 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:57

#41 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 13:10

Mahindra recruits ex-Mercedes HPP man for key role
https://the-race.com...n-for-key-role/

Mahindra has pulled off a technical coup by signing former Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains team leader Josef Holden as it continues to restructure its Formula E team.

Holden has already started his role as performance director at Mahindra, where he will be in charge of trackside performance for the UK based, Indian entered team.

Mahindra has been in the process of forming a new in-house team over the last year so that it can draw away from a reliance on working with external companies for engineering and operational purposes.

[...]

Prior to joining Mahindra Racing earlier this month, Holden was the leader of the Strategy and Power Unit Tools Group at Mercedes AMG High Performance for a number of years.

There, he collaboratively helped to achieve the most successful chain of double Formula 1 world championship titles on record.

I'm quite pleased to see Mahindra investing in the future of team.

#42 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:32

Extreme E is Starting to Rattle Formula E’s Cage | https://the-race.com...ormula-es-cage/

Sam Smith argues that, despite being a sister organisation, Extreme E's current momentum is giving Formula E a bit of a headache.

#43 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:39

I have a weird question: Considering that it's only now a World Championship does it mean that if for example Vergne wins the title next year he is a 3 times Formula E champion but only a one time Formula E world champion?

#44 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:50

I have a weird question: Considering that it's only now a World Championship does it mean that if for example Vergne wins the title next year he is a 3 times Formula E champion but only a one time Formula E world champion?

I'd say yes. 

But I have the feeling that that distinction will be colloquially ignored and it will be one for the motorsport history buffs to contest the answer to in a pub quiz one day circa. 2029... 

#45 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:00

Formula E has contingency plans for what to do if they cannot hold street races in 2021 because of the pandemic (they'd be stupid not to have a back up plan lets be honest) which includes talking to Silverstone 

https://the-race.com...-back-up-plans/

Edited by Ben1445, 30 September 2020 - 09:00.

#46 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,106 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:17

Makes a lot of sense.
Luckily the season only starts in early 2021, so there's still a lot of time to plan proper track alternatives.

We won't see a Berlin repeat, that's for sure!  :lol:

Edited by thegamer23, 30 September 2020 - 09:18.

#47 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:15

I liked the Berlin S6 plan and it made sense in many ways...

...but I was also almost looking forward to the prospect of seeing these cars race at some permanent venues. If that's a path they need to take should the situation require it come 2021 it would arguably be the best possible (least controversial) way to get these cars out racing on a permanant track and seeing how well it is recieved.

Could be very informative for future FE layouts as well - permanent or street.

But we shall see. Ideally it would be good to have as little disruption as possible.

#48 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:52

Extreme E is Starting to Rattle Formula E’s Cage | https://the-race.com...ormula-es-cage/

Sam Smith argues that, despite being a sister organisation, Extreme E's current momentum is giving Formula E a bit of a headache.

Right.....a championship with many successful seasons under its belt is rattled by a fantasy series that has yet to even turn a wheel and if it ever happens will be held in the back of beyond not in the forefront of city centres? 

#49 Anja

Anja

• 10,347 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:03

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't off-road racing/rallying/whatever-it's-supposed-to-be have only a tiny amount of following compared to normal circuit racing? Not to diminish the success of FE but they tapped into an existing racing fanbase, they didn't build their audience from zero. I don't think Extreme E will be able to do the same to such an extent. 

Edited by Anja, 01 October 2020 - 12:04.

#50 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:31

They seem to overestimate the impact Hamilton's involvement is going to have. Take diCaprio for instance: His ownership of a team in FE has probably generated as much attention, if not more, as Hamilton's. This doesnt mean that everyone is now watching it, since he actually doesnt really feature in a meaningful way, it would be a different story if Hamilton himself was driving there, then yes, that would seriously threaten FE, and is probably the type of coup FE themselve should aim for. But for the reasons Anja stated they have nothing to worry about. All deals like with Hamilton do is making people aware that this is a thing and since it's a FE spin-off it probably helps FE too.