Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

F1 interests as a whole amid possible Max/RB dominance

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

Poll: Would Max/RB dominance between now and 2026 be good for F1? (214 member(s) have cast votes)

Would it be good for F1?

1. Yes (41 votes [19.16%])

Percentage of vote: 19.16%

2. No (145 votes [67.76%])

Percentage of vote: 67.76%

3. Other (28 votes [13.08%])

Percentage of vote: 13.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:42

Obviously, I appreciate that there are members here who are massive Verstappen and/or Red Bull fans, and those who are not.  Personally, FWIW, I'm enjoying watching a great driver put in superb performances, yet am frustrated that the early-season opposition appears to have withered.  Leaving aside personal preferences, though, I'd like to ask a question, prompted by comments from the Times's F1 writer in yesterday's Channel 4 coverage that Max can be expected to win several titles over the coming years:

Would a period of Red Bull dominance between now, and, say 2026 be good for the sport?

Edited by cpbell, 05 September 2022 - 14:42.

Advertisement

#2 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,250 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:44

No dominance is ever good. Strong competition is.

#3 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,845 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:45

Im not sure if dominance is ever good for the sport, but based on the last 20 years, it's also not very uncommon and the sports seems to have survived just fine. 

Lets hope the budget cap helps in that area. 

I'll be honest, for my nerves it's probably not bad to have a year where it's easier, but I hope we get more teams in the mix soon. 

Edited by Heyli, 05 September 2022 - 14:45.

#4 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:48

As the OP, I'll say that I have greater concerns over the possibility of a new era of dominance as I fear the younger audience that Liberty have successfully attracted will be less interested in following long-term than us older types.

#5 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,402 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:51

Even though I am a certified Max fan (not because he's Dutch/Belgian like I am, but because I think he's spectacular) I would prefer closely matched seasons over total dominance. 

I fear hope won't help though.... 

#6 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,996 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:51

As simple as that really. We had strong competition last year and we had it again for the first half of this year. It's a bit early to conclude Max will dominantly stroll to more titles and I think very few people actually hope it happens, even amongst Max fans. We are after all F1/motorsport fans first and foremost.

#7 MaroF1

MaroF1

• 1,031 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:52

Max was always destined to break all records and win it all, but it will he hella boring.

Funnily enough I never saw a thread like this in 2014-2020 period.

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:52

What a weird poll, of course the answer is "no". Like 80 % of the time in the past 20 odd years. Next one?

#9 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:53

After last seasons intensity it's not bad to have a year like this. 

We have had years of Merc dominance and I don't think the sport is in a worse place than before. 

#10 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:53

Max was always destined to break all records and win it all, but it will he hella boring.

are you kidding; we had almost weekly crisis threads

#11 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:54

What a weird poll, of course the answer is "no". Like 80 % of the time in the past 20 odd years. Next one?

You may consider it weird, but the vibe from the C4 segment, and the Times writer was very overblown, excitable and optimistic that Max will dominate and won't that be wonderful?

#12 WOT

WOT

• 1,701 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:55

Dominance is good IF there is strong multi-team competition, but those days have passed.

#13 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:55

People complain about the "dominance" of the last few Mercedes years, but has it actually done the sport any measurable harm? Likewise when Vettel won 4 on the bounce?  On another thread we were talking about whether AD '21 had done any measurable harm, and the view of many (most?) was that it had not.

I think my point is that people will watch whoever is "dominating" (and I really hate that term).  Some will grumble if the same driver keeps winning but if they keep giving us crashes, and fireworks, and pictures of celebrities in the garages, then enough eyes will stay tuned no matter who is winning.

Edited by smitten, 05 September 2022 - 14:56.

#14 Hrco42

Hrco42

• 386 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:58

That's what I wanted to ask about. I wasn't part of this forum in 2014, but did people back then open threads about possible Mercedes domination? Because people keep bringing more and more this possible Max domination in the next few years and he didn't even win his first dominant title yet.

And this possible domination looks much less scary than the one in 2014, since now we have Ferrari that is not far away, just needs to get it's **** together and also Merc who are closing by. While in 2014 it was obvious that nobody is nowhere near Mercedes

#15 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:59

People complain about the "dominance" of the last few Mercedes years, but has it actually done the sport any measurable harm? Likewise when Vettel won 4 on the bounce?  On another thread we were talking about whether AD '21 had done any measurable harm, and the view of many (most?) was that it had not.

I think my point is that people will watch whoever is "dominating" (and I really hate that term).  Some will grumble if the same driver keeps winning but if they keep giving us crashes, and fireworks, and pictures of celebrities in the garages, then enough eyes will stay tuned no matter who is winning.

I was thinking of the fact that, historically, there might be a couple or three years here or there with one team dominating, but, this century, we've had three separate periods of it, spanning a total of 16 years, with only three of those being cases where the dominant team saw realistic competition.

Edited by cpbell, 05 September 2022 - 15:00.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 14:59

There could be worse things. Sports tend to do well with the public when it's clear who's the best. Rory Smith had something interesting about this in his newsletter about European soccer, I'll see if I can dig it out.

#17 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:01

There could be worse things. Sports tend to do well with the public when it's clear who's the best. Rory Smith had something interesting about this in his newsletter about European soccer, I'll see if I can dig it out.

That is very much not what I would expect. :blush:

#18 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:04

It's never good but it's just the way sport works out sometimes. Any sport. Sometimes someone's just better than everyone else by miles for a long time. This one sport is just a bit weirder because it's the best combination of car and driver that's rewarded, rather than just the best car or just the best driver. So we get all confused and call it unfair or something, and call to "fix it" when these things happen. But when idk, Federer, wins a ton of tennis matches nobody starts wondering whether tennis should change to stop benefitting Federer.

#19 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:05

Here it is:

Bayern Munich and the Myth of Competition

I've quoted the relevant bit below.

The Premier League’s success is down, it is broadly accepted, to the fact that it is less processional than all of its rival competitions. It follows, then, that the prospect of yet another season in which Bayern Munich and P.S.G. amble to their domestic crowns is a black mark against the leagues that home them.

This, to most fans, feels right. It feels just. It is obviously a drawback to know, almost from the start, which team is going to emerge triumphant. Like going to a movie in full knowledge that one lover lets the other drown despite there being plenty of space on the raft, or actually the guy is a ghost, there is not much point staying until the end. There should be competitive balance. There should be uncertainty of outcome. That, after all, is why we watch.

Except that, as it happens, it isn’t. A paper published in 2020 by researchers at the University of Liverpool — and drawing on a welter of academic investigation into the motivations of sports fans — found that there was no correlation between how uncertain the outcome of any game was and how many people watched it. The link, they wrote, was “decisively nonsignificant.”

That is not, it turns out, why most people watch sports, whether we want to admit it to ourselves or not. According to the researchers, there was a connection between viewership and the quality of player on show. Even more significant, though, was the name of the teams involved. The power of brand, they wrote, tended to “dominate any contribution to audience size.”

Those two conclusions suggest that, rather than diminishing the appeal of the Bundesliga, Bayern’s victory did the precise opposite. Here, after all, was a team with a famous name and an established brand packed full of highly talented players. This, it would seem, is what fans want.

That is the thinking that has convinced P.S.G. to try to blind the rest of Ligue 1, and much of Europe, with its sheer star power. It is the argument regularly trotted out by the Bundesliga to defend Bayern’s unimpeachable hegemony. Soccer’s dirty little secret is that it cherishes not balance, but dominance; it claims to want diversity, but nothing draws like dynasty.

And yet, there is one other finding in that 2020 report that is worth noting. “A match with the highest championship significance observed in our data set would be expected to attract an aggregate audience size 96 percent higher than one with no implications at all for the prizes to be awarded at the end of the season,” even if the teams involved were the same, the researchers wrote.

In other words, what fans really want — more than competitive balance, more than uncertainty of outcome, more than famous faces and powerful names — is jeopardy. They want, we want, as much jeopardy as we can get: games when it feels as if everything is on the line. That is what sells leagues. That is what attracts fans.

Advertisement

#20 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,845 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:07

It's never good but it's just the way sport works out sometimes. Any sport. Sometimes someone's just better than everyone else by miles for a long time. This one sport is just a bit weirder because it's the best combination of car and driver that's rewarded, rather than just the best car or just the best driver. So we get all confused and call it unfair or something, and call to "fix it" when these things happen. But when idk, Federer, wins a ton of tennis matches nobody starts wondering whether tennis should change to stop benefitting Federer.

I dont think it‘s that easy to compare. When a tennis player dominates, you will see impossible points, besutiful shots. When a football team does well, you will see beautiful plays. Whereas when in f1, 1 driver dominates, it often means he will drive off into the sunset, with less action.

#21 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:09

I dont think it‘s that easy to compare. When a tennis player dominates, you will see impossible points, besutiful shots. When a football team does well, you will see beautiful plays. Whereas when in f1, 1 driver dominates, it often means he will drive off into the sunset, with less action.

This.

#22 P123

P123

• 23,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:10

Everybody complains about dominance.

But Max and Red Bull are doing by far the best job this season.  It's a bit like 2017/18.  A veneer of dominance due to a certain red team not maximising results.

#23 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:12

Here it is:

This might explain why IndyCar's viewership languishes in every other race bar the Indy 500... no clear winner everywhere else–hell, even at Indy–but at Indy there's a sense everything is on the line. F1 in turn probably sells well because it does a good job convincing its viewers that every race is just that damn important–come to think of it, I've read so many comments from people saying that they still get nervous over an F1 start even if the outcome of the race is a foregone conclusion that I'm inclined to believe the research is correct.

#24 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,427 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:12

It wouldn’t be good, but on the other hand I don’t think F1 popularity has suffered all that much from seven years of continuous Mercedes domination so I wouldn’t blow the problem out of proportion either.

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:14

I would also say that this year, Max has won the majority of races but there's a lot to watch the races for. Ferrari often turn up with a competitive car and it's obviously very interesting watching them find new ways to lose to Max. Mercedes are sometimes fighting for the podium and sometimes stuck in the midfield: both of these outcomes are interesting. Alonso is a living legend and every race where he fights for the top 6 feels like a gift. The midfield usually throws up some feat of unexpected bravery or cunning. The guys at the back are fighting for their careers and for them, every race counts.

It's still interesting. I don't really want to watch Max winning 12 races every year but I have no problem with him being the guy everyone is trying to knock off the wall.

F1 is also being promoted well, which it never was when Bernie was in charge (or perhaps it was, but it wasn't F1 doing the legwork). This makes a difference as the point of professional sports is that the audience brings something too.

#26 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:15

Oh, and as an aside, I voted "Other" in the poll, my thesis being that:

1) If Red Bull's apparently impending era of being "dominant" is similar to the last time people claimed they were "dominant" in 2010-2013, then...

2) I think people will be just fine if 50% of the championship battles between now and 2026 go to the last race with an uncertain winner. Doubly good for viewing if this happens apparently because of the reasons cited in Risil's above post.

I maintain 2010 and 2012 were two of the best F1 seasons ever, so if that's what Red Bull "dominance" means, then count me in.

#27 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:17

Good point. F1 (and most circuit motorsports in general) do have a problem in that brilliance doesn't translate as very interesting to watch on the screen.

A very technically skilled football team destroying a lesser team is entertaining to watch. You find joy in every pass, every shot, every dribble, how well executed they are. But a good car, even if driven by a very good driver, destroying a F1 field, isn't fun at all and doesn't translate well on screen.

#28 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:18

Obviously no dominance is always better unless you're an avid fan of the team/driver dominating I guess.

However, I much prefer the dominance like this season, where it's the efficiency of the team/driver over the opposition, rather than because one team simply has a much faster car than the rest.

#29 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:18

Here it is:

I tried to explain this a few years ago here and got dunked on LOL

What's also important: as much as we think it's the case the casual viewer doesnt really give a rats ass how competitive sport is. People are mostly committed to narratives and personalities (this is why DTS is a success). And F1 delivers them always, no matter how competitive a season is.

That people have brought up tennis here is interesting: when Nadal and Djokovic (and what's left of Federer) retire which will likely mean that all Grand Slams will be extremely open the ATP tour is expected to experience a drop in popularity rather than a boom. Again, competition is secondary here.

Having said this, I stick to it that a dominance isnt good from the perspective of a racing fan, though. And obviously you never know how the landscape changes, like in MotoGP (and probably in the future in tennis) the departure of particulary popular stars can leave a sport on its knees, and those stars often were a product of a dominance. But I can't see this happening for F1: again as much as I hate Netflix, they managed to make practically the whole field popular LOL

#30 Dhillon

Dhillon

• 929 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:19

Previous dominance Eras were down to the cars as both drivers were regularly on the podium and fighting for wins. Current gen cars do not have a huge performance difference. If still Max can dominate it will be a pleasure.

#31 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:19

I maintain 2010 and 2012 were two of the best F1 seasons ever, so if that's what Red Bull "dominance" means, then count me in.

Those were two of the three years I said were excluded from the periods of dominance in which they occurred.

#32 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,095 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:20

Only there won't be a period of dominance as this is an aero era instead of engine like the past 8 years. No one had a chance to claw back that Merc advantage due to engine tokens etc. This time the sport is set up, that the longer your team is in P1, the more resources the other teams get to come back. If Max would win the next couple of seasons, he and RB have absolutely earned it as there is no excuse for other teams not to match them, because there won't be any baked in, insurmountable advantages.

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

This might explain why IndyCar's viewership languishes in every other race bar the Indy 500... no clear winner everywhere else–hell, even at Indy–but at Indy there's a sense everything is on the line. F1 in turn probably sells well because it does a good job convincing its viewers that every race is just that damn important–come to think of it, I've read so many comments from people saying that they still get nervous over an F1 start even if the outcome of the race is a foregone conclusion that I'm inclined to believe the research is correct.

There's a strong sense in Indycar that if a driver has a bad day, oh well, they'll probably be back next week/year/decade. There a good things about this but it saps the drama.

There must be more to it than that, as surely NASCAR was like that in 1985-2005 and it was an absolute phenomenon. I know there was more danger and nobody had the complete assurance that there would be a "next race", but that surely wasn't the primary reason why stock car racing got so big. Mind you there are very few mainstream sports writers who understand the appeal of motor racing, least of all NASCAR, so perhaps I'm looking too hard into Rory Smith's words for an explanation.

#34 Primo

Primo

• 2,678 posts

F1 suffered through Schumi's dominance, suffered again when it ended. Then it was a time of RBR success, but they did not have the levels of dominance as during the Schumi era. Then came Merc and dominated for as long many can remember. Many suffered through that era and others suffered when it ended. 

I think it is more about people than about teams and someone who is dominating, and is at least reasonably charismatic, more and more people will be drawn towards them. It happened to Schumi, it happened to Lewis and it happened to Valentino Rossi. Not many complained while Rossi dominated, but now when he is gone MotoGP's popularity is going down, down down. Why? With Marc Marquez also gone, there's no distinct team, no distinct driver to follow. The racing is still good and from having been a two horse race for decades, many different teams are fighting for victories, but that does not seem to attract.

My conclusion is that dominance is good for the sport. Maybe not for the die-hard fans, but most fans want just another hero.

#35 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Good point. F1 (and most circuit motorsports in general) do have a problem in that brilliance doesn't translate as very interesting to watch on the screen.

A very technically skilled football team destroying a lesser team is entertaining to watch. You find joy in every pass, every shot, every dribble, how well executed they are. But a good car, even if driven by a very good driver, destroying a F1 field, isn't fun at all and doesn't translate well on screen.

Which is where having lighter, more agile cars that are tricky to drive would help.  The current generation of cars mask the differing driving styles.

#36 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:22

What's also important: as much as we think it's the case the casual viewer doesnt really give a rats ass how competitive sport is. People are mostly committed to narratives and personalities (this is why DTS is a success). And F1 delivers them always, no matter how competitive a season is.

That people have brought up tennis here is interesting: when Nadal and Djokovic (and what's left of Federer) retire which will likely mean that all Grand Slams will be extremely open the ATP tour is expected to experience a drop in popularity rather than a boom. Again, competition is secondary here.

Having said this, I stick to it that a dominance isnt good from the perspective of a racing fan, though. And obviously you never know how the landscape changes, like in MotoGP (and probably in the future in tennis) the departure of particulary popular stars can leave a sport on its knees, and those stars often were a product of a dominance. But I can't see this happening for F1: again as much as I hate Netflix, they managed to make practically the whole field popular LOL

You make good points there. 

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:25

My advice is to find a fancy pants New York Times columnist who agrees with you and post that instead.

#38 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:26

F1 suffered through Schumi's dominance, suffered again when it ended.

Surely not both of those points can be true?

#39 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,803 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:26

Here it is:

I’m having trouble discerning this part

“ In other words, what fans really want — more than competitive balance, more than uncertainty of outcome, more than famous faces and powerful names — is jeopardy. They want, we want, as much jeopardy as we can get: games when it feels as if everything is on the line. That is what sells leagues. That is what attracts fans.”

Aren’t the feelings of “jeopardy” and “uncertainty” the same thing?

Edited by ARTGP, 05 September 2022 - 15:28.

Advertisement

#40 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:27

"F1 is suffering. In fact, suffering is "F1" spelt backwards."

- Murray Walker The Buddha

#41 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:29

I agree with all of this and have found this poor translation to TV to be a major barrier to getting people interested in racing, because the brilliance on display by every good performance is just not easily received by an unfamiliar public. This is where good directing and cars/racing that are easily received as being difficult and fast as hell are important, because they make it easier for the uninitiated to identify and understand excellence (EDIT: Anecdotally, I cite this as the reason that most people I invite to watch their "first race" are nearly always captivated by the Indy 500 but find any other race boring after about 10 minutes). This year's regulations are a step in the right direction (they looked almost scary around Zandvoort) but the cars need to be smaller and (yes I'm going to bang this drum again) louder I think. F1 is doing fine right now so clearly the sound is only sufficient and not necessary, but the sonic assault and corresponding, "What the ever-loving f#$k is THAT?" factor that comes with it helps because it's unique and grabs people's attention. Show anybody a video of a Mazda 787B fly-by and tell me I'm wrong. :p

Sorry for all the posts–the business side of racing is intriguing to me so it naturally follows that figuring out what gets people to watch some forms of racing and not others is an interest of mine.

#42 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:31

Not quite - jeopardy is when the worlds biggest football club looks like losing to the George & Dragon 3rds in the First Round of the cup.  Uncertainly is when the worlds two biggest teams are really evenly matched and you don't know who will win.

Penalties are exciting because of the jeopardy - one miss and you are out.

#43 P123

P123

• 23,964 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:31

Ah, here's some light reading of a selection for you.  :)

Edited by P123, 05 September 2022 - 15:32.

#44 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:33

In this case it's just the prestige of the event. Argueably the Indy 500 is bigger than the whole IndyCar championship.

I’m having trouble discerning this part

my understanding here is that jeopardy is David vs. Goliath situation, while uncertainty are two equal teams playing against each other (hence uncertain outcome)

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:37

Uncertainty is seven drivers winning the first seven races in 2012. Jeopardy is Nigel Mansell stalling his Williams while waving to the crowd on the last lap. 

#46 Primo

Primo

• 2,678 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:39

Have you never been in love?

#47 cjm321190

cjm321190

• 1,193 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:40

Trouble is F1 runs in cycles, we are all happy as long as our team is top dog.

Come on Williams.

#48 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:45

I'm a LH fan so I have to accept that the Merc "Era" is tinged with bias, but despite how the statistics ultimately fell, we did get some great competition in those years.

We had the LH/NR years, then although Bottas never really put on a real challenge we had a couple of years of LH/SV competition and then after a year or so we had the epic 2021 season. Seeing "8 WCC's on the bounce" makes it look disproportionate. 

If Perez, or <insert next Helmut project here> can stick it to Max then having a dominant RBR car will be more forgiving. Having Max be the best part of 100 points clear by the Summer break will hurt the sport, I'm sure of it.

Hopefully this year is a one off, Ferrari have shown real technical promise and Mercedes are surely not far off snatching the odd victory. Next year could be a classic. 

#49 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 537 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:46

I for one don't see any issues of Max winning numerous World Championships in a dominant team, but only if he has a team mate worth their salt. Rosberg could give Hamilton a run for his money and even though Bottas was not at the same level, on his day he was good enough to push Hamilton.  Perez to Verstappen is no better than Barichello to Schumacher and those years of Ferrari dominance were dull as you knew the result at the start.  I care little if Red Bull dominate so long as they put a decent driver in the other car.  If it is a head to head between Max and Lando with the rest scrapping over 3rd, I'll still tune in.  If it is Max and the rest aiming for 2nd, I'll get my washing done!

#50 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 15:47

People complain about the "dominance" of the last few Mercedes years, but has it actually done the sport any measurable harm?

How do you measure harm? What is the opposite of harm? Is it growth? Or satisfaction? Or...?