kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:47

alozls66.jpg

154sro.jpg

subir2ndskj.jpg

Fernando Alonso Twitter Account
Stoffel Vandoorne Twitter Account

Fernando wants your money, please buy a Kimoa cap.

Edited by kosmos, 26 May 2018 - 13:46.

Advertisement

#2 BertoC

BertoC

• 1,662 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:41

They seem to have a good relation. :D Of course helps that they were never in a position to fight for anything really. Honestly I hope they will work together as much as possible until they manage to develop the car to be competitive. Then they can fight as much as they want.

#3 ExEd

ExEd

• 2,190 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:45

Lmao on the 2nd picture, Someone find that selfie please! On topic now, ofc we expect Nando to win the battle but id like to see Stoffel perform a little bit better than last year. As long as they dont fight for wins they will get along just fine, so i predict a peaceful season.

#4 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:48

Lmao on the 2nd picture, Someone find that selfie please! 

kiss.jpg

#5 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,982 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:02

Alonso and Vandoorne are a great pairing because not only do they share healthy respect but also share a great camaraderie and an excellent working relationship. Much More than beating each other their target is to work together aiding in making the car quicker to bring back Mclaren to where it belongs.

Edited by Quickshifter, 23 March 2018 - 12:03.

#6 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,181 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:08

Have rarely seen Stoff in a race competitive or reliable car up to this point.

#7 JoeDede

JoeDede

• 566 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 14:53

Alonso and Vandoorne are a great pairing because not only do they share healthy respect but also share a great camaraderie and an excellent working relationship. Much More than beating each other their target is to work together aiding in making the car quicker to bring back Mclaren to where it belongs.

Yep, but that's easy when you have had a dog of a car. Let's see how fantastic the camaraderie is when they fight for points. No matter what, drivers always want to beat their team mate

I hope they stay on frendly terms, though  :)

Edited by JoeDede, 23 March 2018 - 15:33.

#8 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 15:22

Could be an interesting one, but I expect Alonso to win on points by some margin though. Let’s hope the gap doesn’t become a Alonso vs Raikkonen or Alonso vs Massa gap.

#9 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,453 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 16:39

I still have high hopes for Vandoorne. It took him longer to get used to F1 than I expected, but he didn't look too shabby against Alonso whenever some kind of comparison could be made. I know I said this last year but I think it could be closer than a lot of people expect.

#10 JoeDede

JoeDede

• 566 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 16:42

I still have high hopes for Vandoorne. It took him longer to get used to F1 than I expected, but he didn't look too shabby against Alonso whenever some kind of comparison could be made. I know I said this last year but I think it could be closer than a lot of people expect.

Well, he was a great racer when he was up against Magnussen in Renault 3.5, so I also believe than he can do a lot better. Anyway it's not easy to satrt with a dog of a car  :lol:

#11 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:41

Looking forward to see a real fight this year. Stoffel will have to bring his AAA game because Fernando for sure will now that he has competitive car.

#12 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:48

Not much to say, Fernando made a mistake and Stoffel has been slower the whole weekend. Let's hope both can get some points tomorrow.

#13 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:21

That was very close today between the two at the end. And a much better begin for Stoffel then last year. This year is going to be interesting. Hopefully they have a great start tomorrow and we get some good points.

#14 Skalvand

Skalvand

• 74 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:28

That was very close today between the two at the end. And a much better begin for Stoffel then last year. This year is going to be interesting. Hopefully they have a great start tomorrow and we get some good points.

Because something went wrong with Alonso's last run.

Stoffel was like 4 or 5 tenths slower each run. Pretty disappointing. 

#15 IamFasterthanU

IamFasterthanU

• 929 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:28

Imo this has been an extremely poor weekend for Stoffel...totally off pace

Edited by IamFasterthanU, 24 March 2018 - 07:37.

#16 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,485 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:30

Lol I just thought about you yesterday and why you have been missing but umm. no , it wasn't close. ALO made a huge mistake in first sector, the gap would have been over 0.5s.

#17 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:31

Massively disappointed with Vandoorne :(

#18 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:43

Yeah I am not so much on the forum anymore, my dad which I always look f1 with has cancer and that's the reason. But excuse me very disapointing from Stoffel, that's weird the last I looked he was less then 2 tenths of from Alonso. What does it matter ,Alonso made a mistake himself, it's the last time that counts ,no? Maybe Bottas could have beat Hamilton, but guess what, he made a mistake, that's F1 to. In fp3 they also had about the same time, even when Alonso didn't complete his fast lap. Let's leave it then that both can improve a lot.

#19 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:50

my dad which I always look f1 with has cancer and that's the reason.

Best of luck.

Advertisement

#20 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:02

Yeah I am not so much on the forum anymore, my dad which I always look f1 with has cancer and that's the reason. But excuse me very disapointing from Stoffel, that's weird the last I looked he was less then 2 tenths of from Alonso. What does it matter ,Alonso made a mistake himself, it's the last time that counts ,no? Maybe Bottas could have beat Hamilton, but guess what, he made a mistake, that's F1 to. In fp3 they also had about the same time, even when Alonso didn't complete his fast lap. Let's leave it then that both can improve a lot.

I am really sorry about your father. :(

Why am I disappointed? Q1 - Alonso was consistently around 0.4s faster, at the end 0.476 - 1:23:597 vs 1:24:073. That is HUGE

Alo's Q2 timed lap was not even his best lap - his Q1 lap was faster. +0.316 after their first Q2 laps. Alonso screws his first sector by 6 tenths. Also posts slower time in S2, and goes green in S3 - combined fastest sectors give him 1:23:342. Stoffel did 3 green sectors in his second Q2 attempt - good enough for only 1:23:853 - that is his perfect lap time, 0.511s slower than Fernando. That is atrocius!

#21 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:05

Thanks man. That's the most important. I concede that Stoffel has to do better this year then last year. There are I hope no excuses this year for him. I also say that Alonso was clearly better in Q1 and Q2, and boy do I hate that as Stoffel fan. But in my mind it is also true that the fastest lap counts, so in that sense they were not far apart at the end, what could have happened is only speculation. How you people can keep so sane if you are a fan of someone is beyond me. Maybe I can't cope well with criticism :). If I am looking at the qualifying (luckily with my dad) I am already telling myself not to come to the forum (lol). But I can't help myself.

#22 ExEd

ExEd

• 2,190 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:51

kiss.jpg

OMG thank you ,hilarious!

On topic, ermmm i would expect more of Stoffel now, theres no excuse any more and he is not a rookie. 

I really do not expect him to beat Alosno,but honestly he must perform better than last year.

Edited by ExEd, 24 March 2018 - 08:53.

#23 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:52

Thanks man. That's the most important. I concede that Stoffel has to do better this year then last year. There are I hope no excuses this year for him. I also say that Alonso was clearly better in Q1 and Q2, and boy do I hate that as Stoffel fan. But in my mind it is also true that the fastest lap counts, so in that sense they were not far apart at the end, what could have happened is only speculation. How you people can keep so sane if you are a fan of someone is beyond me. Maybe I can't cope well with criticism :). If I am looking at the qualifying (luckily with my dad) I am already telling myself not to come to the forum (lol). But I can't help myself.

Hahaha, trust me man, people generally aren’t very rational when their driver loses (myself included, I can’t even watch anymore of the race sometimes if my driver is out!). Don’t get me started with Arsenal...

Anyway, sorry to hear about your dad. All the best for your dad and family. Stay strong

#24 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,485 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:05

Good luck man, if you need to talk HMU, I am a doctor, can try to help you out as much I can!

But yes, the final time matters. It's about getting the best lap time and making no mistake is a part of it. Happens to the best. It's okay, tomorrow is what counts.

#25 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,170 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:12

Alonso today had much more pace than Vandoorne, Stoffel needs to deliver in the race, with Lando looking strong in F2 he's going to be under massive pressure to deliver.

Best of luck to your dad.

#26 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,871 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:17

Alonso today had much more pace than Vandoorne, Stoffel needs to deliver in the race, with Lando looking strong in F2 he's going to be under massive pressure to deliver.

Best of luck to your dad.

When has Lando looked strong in F2? They haven't raced yet!

#27 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,170 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:50

I've been following testing and Carlin looks like a strong contender for the title.

#28 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:36

I am really sorry about your father. :(

Why am I disappointed? Q1 - Alonso was consistently around 0.4s faster, at the end 0.476 - 1:23:597 vs 1:24:073. That is HUGE

Alo's Q2 timed lap was not even his best lap - his Q1 lap was faster. +0.316 after their first Q2 laps. Alonso screws his first sector by 6 tenths. Also posts slower time in S2, and goes green in S3 - combined fastest sectors give him 1:23:342. Stoffel did 3 green sectors in his second Q2 attempt - good enough for only 1:23:853 - that is his perfect lap time, 0.511s slower than Fernando. That is atrocius!

That’s not true in terms of Stoffel. He wasn’t green in his 3 sectors of his quickest lap. I was watching at the time.

Edit:
https://www.fia.com/...?token=NTM7tBIs

Vandoorne’s best sectors would have given him a 1.23.695.

Edited by Kev00, 24 March 2018 - 10:52.

#29 Skalvand

Skalvand

• 74 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:22

That’s not true in terms of Stoffel. He wasn’t green in his 3 sectors of his quickest lap. I was watching at the time.

Edit:

True, his middle sector was definitely yellow.

He simply wasn't good enough today though. He said himself that he made too much little mistakes and he never did a perfect run.

#30 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:20

Edit:

You are right. But this best S3 time was from Q1 interestingly. I didn't pay attention to Q1 sectors when I was writing my post. Also, his S2 from second Q2 attempt was 0.038 slower than his first Q2 attempt.

#31 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:38

First thanks for the support from all of you. Yeah Stoffel has to deliver this year or it could be game over. My measurement is, so long he is within 2-3tenths of Alonso then that's ok. And he also has to beat him sometimes. In the races he has to be close to Alonso and there must be less then 10 points difference at the end of the championship. If this is the case then that's ok for me and hopefully for Mclaren to. It must be easy to be an Alonso fan, he is so good that he basically dominates all his teammates. And again thanks for the support.

#32 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,506 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:49

First thanks for the support from all of you. Yeah Stoffel has to deliver this year or it could be game over. My measurement is, so long he is within 2-3tenths of Alonso then that's ok. And he also has to beat him sometimes. In the races he has to be close to Alonso and there must be less then 10 points difference at the end of the championship. If this is the case then that's ok for me and hopefully for Mclaren to. It must be easy to be an Alonso fan, he is so good that he basically dominates all his teammates. And again thanks for the support.

I broadly agree, but I don't think it matters too much if he is more than ten points behind at the end of the year. The long term potential needs to shine through by mid-season at the latest. I suspect it will, and there is no guarantee that Alonso won't be the one who is behind on points. 

It is not so easy being an Alonso fan, by the way. 

#33 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 16:12

I suppose something that needs considering (although not sure how valid it is) is because the McLaren was so slow was it easier for Stoffel to drive close to Fernando as they weren't on the ragged limit. But as the cars get quicker and closer to the edge of performance, maybe Alonso begins to shine more?

#34 BIGREDFAN

BIGREDFAN

• 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 19:52

Vandoorne was no where near him today he was just simply of the pace 

#35 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:45

Brilliant race by Fernando, from 10 to 5 keeping a much faster car behind. Stoffel was OK I guess, slower but he did well to get a point.

formula_1_f1_twitter_fnoj3.png

Edited by kosmos, 25 March 2018 - 07:00.

#36 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,292 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:01

Fernando benefited from the safety car drama more than Stoffel, but Fernando drove brilliantly nevertheless. Points from both in the first race - McLaren can be happy with that!

#37 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:37

Alonso still the best. Give him a car that can challenge for podiums and he can contend for the WDC

#38 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,206 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:52

Alonso was simply perfect. Like pretty much all the time. Nothing else to add. Because perfection is perfection. Stoffel was not bad but not enough either,if he can he has to follow Alonso and also benefit from the mistakes from others. The next couple races will be crucial for him.

#39 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 899 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:00

. My measurement is, so long he is within 2-3tenths of Alonso then that's ok.

The problem for him this year, is that even being "only" 2-3 tenths slower, that could mean easily 4 positions difference on the grid, and no chance of points.

Advertisement

#40 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,170 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:05

Alonso swept the weekend.

#41 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 18:40

Reliable and reasonably competitive 2018 car = no hiding place for Vandoorne.  After spending 2017 sitting aon his lower formula laurels and doing little to add to them, he has to deliver now, but I remain less than convinced that he will.  Norris to take his seat in 2019.

#42 messy

messy

• 7,499 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 18:54

Good for SVD to get a couple of points, but consistently half a second slower. Even when your team-mate is Fernando Alonso, it's not really good enough and especially after last year Vandoorne needs to improve and take the fight to him. If he can't then he'll probably be out after two years and one of the strongest junior records of all time.

To be honest, I always think if Vandoorne had come in with Jenson as his team-mate, or maybe been placed at Williams, Force India or somewhere the story might be quite different. His team-mate is one of the best drivers of all time, still operating at the top of game.

#43 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:19

All radio transmissions from Fernando during the weekend.

#44 PistolPete

PistolPete

• 1,161 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 20:01

Good for SVD to get a couple of points, but consistently half a second slower. Even when your team-mate is Fernando Alonso, it's not really good enough and especially after last year Vandoorne needs to improve and take the fight to him. If he can't then he'll probably be out after two years and one of the strongest junior records of all time.

To be honest, I always think if Vandoorne had come in with Jenson as his team-mate, or maybe been placed at Williams, Force India or somewhere the story might be quite different. His team-mate is one of the best drivers of all time, still operating at the top of game.

With all respect, Alonso is almost 37 years, no one knows if Alonso is anywhere near his peak anymore.

Vandoorne is 26 years old... At this time in a F1 career he should not be way behind anymore. Need to up his game immediately.

#45 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,506 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 20:54

With all respect, Alonso is almost 37 years, no one knows if Alonso is anywhere near his peak anymore.

Vandoorne is 26 years old... At this time in a F1 career he should not be way behind anymore. Need to up his game immediately.

Alonso could well be a stronger driver today than he was, say, ten years ago. We can talk about him being 37 when he is 37. Stoffel has not faced a 37 year old Alonso yet. 

Concerning decline, he had success early, but it is not logical to assume he didn't improve for many years after that. I don't really buy the idea that there is a major drop-off by 36 unless it is a loss of hunger or desire, or a failure to adapt to new rules or car/tyre characteristics (and even that may not be age related). 

In short, Stoffel is facing an extremely tough team-mate and the mis-match in experience is greater than any of his previous team-mates suffered.  

#46 PistolPete

PistolPete

• 1,161 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 21:07

Alonso could well be a stronger driver today than he was, say, ten years ago. We can talk about him being 37 when he is 37. Stoffel has not faced a 37 year old Alonso yet. 

Concerning decline, he had success early, but it is not logical to assume he didn't improve for many years after that. I don't really buy the idea that there is a major drop-off by 36 unless it is a loss of hunger or desire, or a failure to adapt to new rules or car/tyre characteristics (and even that may not be age related). 

In short, Stoffel is facing an extremely tough team-mate and the mis-match in experience is greater than any of his previous team-mates suffered.  

You are basing your conclusion on assumptions. You or anyone else for that sake have no idea whether these assumptions are right, but you discuss and conclude as if you are having facts. 

#47 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,506 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 21:16

You are basing your conclusion on assumptions. You or anyone else for that sake have no idea whether these assumptions are right, but you discuss and conclude as if you are having facts. 

I have given a few opinions, and they are expressed as such, as were yours. However, if you don't think Fernando is an extremely tough team-mate then I suspect that is wishful thinking on your part. There is little to support that view. 

#48 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,982 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 21:42

Having a clear number 1 and number 2 like Ferrari and Mercedes is only feasible when your main aim is to win driver's championship. For everyone else you need 2 closely matched drivers capable of beating each other on their day to maximise the points. This keeps both of them on their toes.

There are two pairings like that at the moment, one is Red Bull and another being Renault. I rate Alonso hugely and he is still one of the best around but he is not unbeatable. In fact if he senses that his teammate is capable of beating him he will raise his game. That's when he is at his ultimate best.

McLaren are in a tightly contested midfield and every tenth matters. Alonso made a mistake in his final qualifying run in Q2 but Vandoorne still failed to beat him. If Vandoorne cannot beat Alonso when he makes a mistake then questions will be raised and legitimately so.

I am a Mclaren fan first and foremost and for me the team angle is most important. Vandoorne has a brilliant CV and is in his second full season and he has to be a lot closer than he currently is. I am not asking him to beat Alonso regularly just that he has to put a scare in Alonso that if he makes an error Vandoorne will be ahead.

I usually stay away from teammate threads because most of the times the threads get reduced to petty slanging matches. For me all that matters is that both drivers consistently extract the full performance from the car.

Edited by Quickshifter, 26 March 2018 - 21:44.

#49 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,485 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 23:37

I am not sure if Fernando was pushing all the way but his pace and Stoffel's pace was kinda close in last stint. Whether that was down Nando being defensive and on softs tires and Stoffel being in DRS and on softer tires or whether it was representative, I dont know.

#50 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:10

Need to give kudos to Fernando. That guy needs to get a podium this year. It's a hard goal but if McLaren keep it up and the stars get aligned, he will take the chance.