Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Vote for the best opening post of 2014

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote! Did that woman chuck herself under a horse for nothing? (107 member(s) have cast votes)

What has been the best opening post in 2014?

1. Andrew Hope: Top 5 moments in racing of the past 5 years (8 votes [7.48%])

Percentage of vote: 7.48%

2. Red17: The Daytona 500 Thread - (Official Status Granted) (1 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

3. Afterburner: 2014 12 hours of Sebring (1 votes [0.93%])

4. Risil: Build-up is over! It's "time" for the 2014 F1 Rolex Grand Prix of Australia! (9 votes [8.41%])

Percentage of vote: 8.41%

5. Kosmos: Fernando Alonso vs Kimi Räikkönen 2014 Part IV (19 votes [17.76%])

Percentage of vote: 17.76%

6. Andrew Hope: Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (4 votes [3.74%])

Percentage of vote: 3.74%

7. Red17: Bahrain GP thread (1 votes [0.93%])

8. OvDrone: MotoGP, Round #2: Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas by OvDrone (1 votes [0.93%])

9. Disgrace: Chinese Official: 2014 F1 UBS Chinese Grand Prix (3 votes [2.80%])

Percentage of vote: 2.80%

10. Risil: Pre-Indy Grand Prix of Alabama: weekend thread for good ol' boys (1 votes [0.93%])

11. Risil: Debbie does Fort Worth: Indycars at the Firestone 600 (3 votes [2.80%])

Percentage of vote: 2.80%

12. Risil: Happy IRLdependence Day! Indycar Pocono 500 official thread (1 votes [0.93%])

13. Risil: Indycar! Doubleheader! Houston! Houston! Houston! (2 votes [1.87%])

Percentage of vote: 1.87%

14. Risil: Indycar: Iowa you a decent race this time 300 (2 votes [1.87%])

Percentage of vote: 1.87%

15. Muppetmad: 2inTo – IndyCar Toronto Double Header (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

16. Afterburner: No defrosting or preheating! The Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio is here! (8 votes [7.48%])

Percentage of vote: 7.48%

17. Risil: 250 consecutive miles of Milwaukee -- Official Indycar thread (1 votes [0.93%])

18. Risil: E-naugural Formula E E-Prix (in China!) (23 votes [21.50%])

Percentage of vote: 21.50%

19. Red17: NASCAR Finale Shootout Oh Shit Denny Hamlin Just Won (7 votes [6.54%])

Percentage of vote: 6.54%

20. Cult: Lewis Hamilton vs. Nico Rosberg 2014 – Special Edition: Title Decider Thread (12 votes [11.21%])

Percentage of vote: 11.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:29

It's that time of year when the most prestigious award of the year is granted. The Autosport Awards? Sports Personality Of The Year? No! As the more astute of you who can read a thread title have already worked out, I am talking about the very glamorous Best Opening Post Of This Messageboard award! 

What's that then?

It's a gathering of opening posts that have had the most effort and/or jokes in them what you then vote on.  Last year, you sent them in. This year, we've been saving as we go but if you feel we've overlooked something brilliant, by all means drop me a PM. Best to nominate other people's work rather than your own, though. Let others recognise your genius.

Why are you doing this?

Well, firstly, ALL of you who respond to posts contribute to making the board what it is. This is just a small chance to recognise and show thanks to those people who go the extra mile to inform, explain or even to simply entertain us. Besides, in the off-season, nice to have something entertaining to read. I know I got a kick out of re-reading them as I was pulling this together. 

Okay, what do I have to do?

Read them and have your life enriched. And then vote for the one you think is the best. What's meant by 'best' in this context? That's entirely up to you. 

When are you going to announce the winner?

(Roughly) two weeks seems to be about enough time for everyone to read and get their votes in so: 23rd December 2014. Would have been really good if we could keep the voting hidden to maintain something of a surprise but the technology seems beyond us.

What does the winner get?

Prize is one year's digital subscription to Autosport magazine. Plus, if liked two tickets to the Autosport International show. Tickets only, you need to make your own way there and buy your own food and drink. 

The important legal bits:

As last year, the prize has been very kindly donated by Grayson of Autosport, but Haymarket Magazines have no input into the decision making process of this award, nor does the prize reflect any endorsement by them. It's only YOUR vote that counts.

I have questions or I am confused...

Tell me about them in the thread. 

But now, the posts!

Advertisement

#2 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,238 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 14:24

Out of these, three stand out for me:

Risil's kick-starter for the F1 season.

Hope's green flag for the Indycar season.

Risil's electrifying opener for the FE season.

A little extra effort is required in a season-starting post, I think, as you set the tone for the whole year. My vote is going to one of these three, but I'm not sure how to break the tie. The F1 opener has the most likes, the FE opener made me actually care about something I otherwise wouldn't, and the Indycar opener does a fantastic job of describing that implacable attraction I have to Indycar that at this point I can only describe as 'true love, racing-series style'. Don't know which one I'll settle with. :p

In the meantime, congratulations to everyone who contributed to the list up there, and the countless others who participated in those threads after that. You all are a considerable part of the reason I've chosen to remain on this forum even though other elements of the populace have sometimes made me feel as if it isn't worth the effort--and have provided some much-needed smiles and laughs when I couldn't find them anywhere else. Thank you so much for everything you do here! :clap:

Edited by Afterburner, 10 December 2014 - 14:27.

#3 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 14:58

Out of these, three stand out for me:

Risil's kick-starter for the F1 season.

Hope's green flag for the Indycar season.

Risil's electrifying opener for the FE season.

A little extra effort is required in a season-starting post, I think, as you set the tone for the whole year. My vote is going to one of these three, but I'm not sure how to break the tie. The F1 opener has the most likes, the FE opener made me actually care about something I otherwise wouldn't, and the Indycar opener does a fantastic job of describing that implacable attraction I have to Indycar that at this point I can only describe as 'true love, racing-series style'. Don't know which one I'll settle with. :p

In the meantime, congratulations to everyone who contributed to the list up there, and the countless others who participated in those threads after that. You all are a considerable part of the reason I've chosen to remain on this forum even though other elements of the populace have sometimes made me feel as if it isn't worth the effort--and have provided some much-needed smiles and laughs when I couldn't find them anywhere else. Thank you so much for everything you do here! :clap:

Don't be shy, I think this is your year!

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 14:59

Prediction:
Risil will suffer the same fate as he did submitting both RainbowTrout and Squashed Villeneuve.

Jp

#5 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 17:55

Jesus, I didn't even think that one of my OPs would be here. Thanks dudes / dudettes. Even if I don't get any single vote, it's a bloody win for me.

Afterburner, that Mid-Ohio thread gets my vote. It was pure epic. Kudos, dude, ku-****ing-dos.

And my god, Risil, you are a freaking demon, man.

So, now, time re-read all of these awesome OPs... it will take some time. Some delicious, delicious time.

#6 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 18:56

Awards regarding achievements in a year annoy me when they are given out before the year is actually over.

I would have thought the best OP's are produced between now and the end of the year.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 18:59

Awards regarding achievements in a year annoy me when they are given out before the year is actually over.

I would have thought the best OP's are produced between now and the end of the year.

If anything awesome appears by the end of December, then it goes into next year's pot. So fear not, and by all means contribute something suitably stunning, sabjit.

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 20:03

Prediction:
Risil will suffer the same fate as he did submitting both RainbowTrout and Squashed Villeneuve.

I'm worried. Al Gore 2000 worried.

#9 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 20:10

If anything awesome appears by the end of December, then it goes into next year's pot. So fear not, and by all means contribute something suitably stunning, sabjit.

My post was in no way motivated due to me nearing finishing a very lengthy alternate history post  :smoking:

Although, I personally am not sure its quite nomination worthy, its just me sharing something I thought would be cool.

#10 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 22:53

The moment the cars crossed the line on the last lap of your favourite series, it's next season.    ;)

#11 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 23:26

Oh thanks for doing this. Much fun reading ensues, accompanied by beer of course..

#12 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:24

Me so corny

Maize and confused

Kernels of truth

:clap:

#13 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:34

nunst002.gif

Looks like the image failed to load to me

s1_1.jpg

I for one welcome our arachnid overlords

But this one gets my vote for making me laugh so many times. Edit, oh Bugger the pics didn't come up. 

Edited by Tsarwash, 11 December 2014 - 02:34.

#14 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,238 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:14

So after reviewing the list, I noticed one of my favourites was missing: the community effort for the Fontana thread at the end of the Indycar season. Of particular note is the driver anagrams post father down (Tony Kanaan = Annoy a Tank :lol: ) as well as PaYR's video retrospective post.

I suppose, in the event that it won, Grayson wasn't prepared to get us all digital subscriptions and tickets to the Autosport show? :p

Edited by Afterburner, 11 December 2014 - 03:20.

#15 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:37

So after reviewing the list, I noticed one of my favourites was missing: the community effort for the Fontana thread at the end of the Indycar season. Of particular note is the driver anagrams post father down (Tony Kanaan = Annoy a Tank :lol: ) as well as PaYR's video retrospective post.

I suppose, in the event that it won, Grayson wasn't prepared to get us all digital subscriptions and tickets to the Autosport show? :p

Well, the award is for one single. opening post, not a thread. So only paulb would be eligible there, for example.

And, to everyone, again, as I said, by all means drop me a line by PM if an amazing opening post has been missed.

#16 P123

P123

• 23,967 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:23

I don't have time to read all those topics, so my vote is for sale.

#17 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:14

That goes for me as well. I don't have time and patience to read through all OP before placing a vote but I'm extremely willing to place a vote and I have a low morale. 

So if there are any offers from the nominees my vote is up for grabs! 

#18 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,081 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:27

I don't have time to reread them to remember exactly which one was best, but the indycar threads stand out, there was so much laughter to be had. So Risil for the sheer number of them, kudos to the others who also did the indycar threads

#19 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:06

Ill give it to Kosmos. He was great in doing the Alonso vs Kimi thread chart and deservies some sort of apreciation. I hope he will do it the Vettel vs Kimi chart too :D  despite not beeing a fan of neither.

Edited by kimster89, 11 December 2014 - 12:07.

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:24

I don't have time to reread them to remember exactly which one was best, but the indycar threads stand out, there was so much laughter to be had. So Risil for the sheer number of them, kudos to the others who also did the indycar threads

Have you noticed how there's a sort of received wisdom that Indycar is on the up despite the fact that it gets the same media coverage as ever and attendances and TV ratings have barely moved? They must be referring to us.

Edited by Risil, 11 December 2014 - 12:25.

#21 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:30

While it's good fun to not take these events too seriously, I liked Cult's Title Decider Thread for being both informative and to the point. :up:

#22 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,293 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:35

I'm flattered to be on the poll, but of course, my vote will have to go to one of Risil's threads - I don't know which one, though... they're all so good!

Edit: ...but Afterburner did such a great job too! Gah, I'll have to deliberate. Well done everyone, you've made me defy my general vow of being decisive about things! :p

Edited by Muppetmad, 11 December 2014 - 12:40.

#23 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,508 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 13:47

I am sure the most worthy will win, I voted

bullet_star_rated.png Red17: NASCAR Finale Shootout Oh **** Denny Hamlin Just Won (3 votes [6.52%])

Because it was the best, because it was not an opening post yet through shenanigans became one, and because it was the best.

:cool:

#24 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 15:21

NASCAR finale. The only NASCAR topic I've ever bothered to read.

#25 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 15:56

Couldn't be bothered reading them all, no offense to anyone intended.  But may the best man win. :)

#26 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 16:03

Voted for kosmos because of the pics at the top, perfectly summed up the car,battle,feeling from the drivers and a lot of the posts of the previous parts of the threads. Cracked me up.

Some other great openers as well but that get's my vote.

#27 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 16:17

How do I choose? They are all to good. D: Are you sure I can't just vote for all of them?
I seriously don't know how you guys do such great OPs, I tried doing one and it was mediocre at best. Autosport should hire you lot to do previews.
Good luck to all. :D

#28 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 17:58

Classic stunner sitting at a sidewalk cafe

KWSN-DSM : You need to adjust your sig to inform us who is your daily rotating avatar..

Charmed I am, by this one today...reminds me of a certain place in time called  Yvette In English

PS..

Haven't read all the OP's yet... but I WILL (again !)

Unlike some of you short attention span, bush-league, slaves to mediocrity.

However, Jp feels the true timbre of an OP is reflected by the relevance or ramifications of the moment in which it was posted. I fear some context may be lost without such correlation.

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 11 December 2014 - 18:01.

#29 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 18:35

I don't have time to read all those topics, so my vote is for sale.

Thanks for coming out! Every vote is important, so please accept this fine campaign wristwatch

c3529b.jpg

Edited by Risil, 11 December 2014 - 18:36.

#30 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,189 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:37

I voted for: "Afterburner: No defrosting or preheating! The Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio is here! " :up:

But I have to say Risil is the opening poster of the year. He deserves his own category! :up: :up: :up:

I'd also like to thank all people who participated in Indycar threads this year. I feel as if F1 threads are like snake pits and Indycar threads are a bunch of buddies having a good time. Maybe that's just me, but watching the race and hanging around in the Indycar threads really makes my day. Thank to you all, and of course the opening posters. :up:

Edited by Dolph, 11 December 2014 - 20:39.

#31 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,238 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 20:50

But I have to say Risil is the opening poster of the year. He deserves his own category! :up: :up: :up:

I'd also like to thank all people who participated in Indycar threads this year. I feel as if F1 threads are like snake pits and Indycar threads are a bunch of buddies having a good time. Maybe that's just me, but watching the race and hanging around in the Indycar threads really makes my day. Thank to you all, and of course the opening posters. :up:

Agreed on both counts. :up: :up:

#32 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 21:42

I couldn't agree more, the indycar threads were the highlights of the year. They brightened up an evening and to be part of such a fun group was such a privilege. I think the OPs helped that tremendously.

#33 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 22:08

Well done to everyone nominated, respect to all of you! I read all of the OP's and I'm pleased the 'new board' allowed such individual expression!

Good luck to all participating, I wish I could vote for more than one OP!

#34 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:02

I wish I could vote for more than one OP!

Yes, having to choose one is the hardest thing!

For me, on top of it all is Andrew Hope's St. Petersburg opener  :up:  :up:   followed by Afterburner's Mid Ohio and Sebring gems and Risil's Melbourne post. Red 17's Nascar posts are a lot of fun to read everytime.

Risil deserves an oeuvre price by now!

#35 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,238 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:28

Yes, having to choose one is the hardest thing!

For me, on top of it all is Andrew Hope's St. Petersburg opener :up: :up: followed by Afterburner's Mid Ohio and Sebring gems and Risil's Melbourne post. Red 17's Nascar posts are a lot of fun to read everytime.

Risil deserves an oeuvre price by now!

The Indycar Home Simulator was probably my favorite part of Andrew's post. :lol: Always been tempted to try it myself but have never had the time or the kitty litter. My shampoo bottles eagerly await my debut. :p

#36 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 17:40

However, Jp feels the true timbre of an OP is reflected by the relevance or ramifications of the moment in which it was posted. I fear some context may be lost without such correlation.

Jp

There probably is an element here and there of 'you had to be there, man' but I think it's still worthwhile. And if any references should now appear lost, well, hopefully there is the consolation prize of Mystery in its place.

#37 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 23:49

Oh there's no question of worth. This is a tremendous fillip for the effort and invention our contributors offer readers. It's just that 'in the moment ' value I love.

Jp

#38 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 19:57

Thanks for coming out! Every vote is important, so please accept this fine campaign wristwatch

c3529b.jpg

That is solid campaigning, Risil. 

To those undecided, perhaps more glimpses of past classic campaigns might help sway the swing voters?

QRZfI9Tm.jpg

Hmmn, on second thoughts, possibly not. So many questions....

#39 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 23:31

I would first like to thank all the candidates in this contest, because without them the 2014 racing year would have been less bright. Whoever wins is deserving.  Thanks SophieB for not implementing double points.

It was much fun to go back through the OPs and reread the brilliance.  It was difficult for me to come up with a winner because there were a handful that were pretty close (by Red17, Andrew Hope, Risil, and Afterburner).  In the end, I chose Andrew Hope's St. Petersburg opener for its scope and resonating wit (e.g., I forgot about zombie Jesus).

Edited by paulb, 13 December 2014 - 23:32.

Advertisement

#40 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 15:53

.. bumping this because a lot more people enjoyed these OPs than have voted. C'mon peoples.

#41 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 16:05

Tied at the top. Get out and vote!

#42 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 16:41

.. bumping this because a lot more people enjoyed these OPs than have voted. C'mon peoples.

Yep..

I've yet to vote cuz I'm torn between about 4 of them and need more time... When is the deadline again... Dec23rd?
Can we extend to Jan1?
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 15 December 2014 - 16:43.

#43 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 17:20

I still need to read all of them again before I can make up my mind. Or we could just add an option of all of them. ;)

#44 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 17:37

Andrew get's my vote as his opening posts are always a good laugh without him trying too hard to make people laugh. How you do that Andrew, is beyond me. :up:

Beside, Risil get's mentioned 8 times in this poll alone which is scary. I mean, eight times?! :p

#45 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:19

Yep..

I've yet to vote cuz I'm torn between about 4 of them and need more time... When is the deadline again... Dec23rd?
Can we extend to Jan1?
Jp

Hmm, is that something a lot of people would like to see too? More time to vote? I was aiming to get this all sorted before Christmas. If nothing else, to ensure I don't personally forget to follow up on the result!

#46 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,023 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:33

To all the creators  of opening posts that were nominated   YOU ALL  deserve a  BIG THANKS for the time and efforts  yall placed in creating those posts

Thank You One and All.  :up: :clap: :up: :clap: :up:

Paul

Edited by Lemnpiper, 17 December 2014 - 06:36.

#47 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:56

My top 3:

1.  Kosmos: Fernando Alonso vs Kimi Räikkönen 2014 Part IV
  2.  Andrew Hope: Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
  3.  Afterburner: No defrosting or preheating! The Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio is here!

Thanks for these magnificent opening posts - you make the BB a form of art!

Edited by aditya-now, 17 December 2014 - 07:56.

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 20:45

Did that woman chuck herself under a horse for nothing?

Daily-Sketch-Front-cover-245x300.jpg

Jp

#49 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 22:34

Did that woman chuck herself under a horse for nothing?

Daily-Sketch-Front-cover-245x300.jpg

Jp

Suffragette colours: purple, green and white - now there's an idea for the livery competition! 

#50 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 22:34

On a slightly unrelated note, will there be a best of 2014 topic, discussing people's highlights of this year?